Repaints Hull Moving Average Turning Points and Concavity (2nd Derivatives)

Repaints
Status
Not open for further replies.
@mashume Is it possible to get alert when MA_Max and MA_Min hits? also if possible can we get strategy buy-side MA_Min to MA_max and sell-side MA_Max to MA_min? Thank you in advance.
perhaps... I have taken a bit of time off of late. I'll look at the code in the next couple of days

-mashume

can some one share this indicator with the Alert code on it. plus the scanner please

I have code with the alert but not the scanner.

Code:
declare upper;

input price = HL2;
input HMA_Length = 55;
input lookback = 2;

# I read somewhere that it's faster to define nan's and then use the def'd var rather than call double.nan every time.
def nan = double.nan;

plot HMA = HullMovingAvg(price = price, length = HMA_Length);

def delta = HMA[1] - HMA[lookback + 5];
def delta_per_bar = delta / lookback;

def next_bar = HMA[1] + delta_per_bar;

def concavity = if HMA > next_bar then 1 else -1;

plot turning_point = if concavity[1] != concavity then HMA else nan;

HMA.AssignValueColor(color = if concavity[1] == -1 then
    if HMA > HMA[1] then color.dark_orange else color.red else
    if HMA < HMA[1] then color.dark_green else color.green);

HMA.SetLineWeight(3);

turning_point.SetLineWeight(4);
turning_point.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy = PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
turning_point.SetDefaultColor(color.white);

plot MA_Max = if HMA[-1] < HMA and HMA > HMA[1] then HMA else NaN;
MA_Max.SetDefaultColor(Color.WHITE);
MA_Max.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.SQUARES);
MA_Max.SetLineWeight(3);

plot MA_Min = if HMA[-1] > HMA and HMA < HMA[1] then HMA else Nan;
MA_Min.SetDefaultColor(Color.WHITE);
MA_Min.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.TRIANGLES);
MA_Min.SetLineWeight(3);

plot sell = if turning_point and concavity == -1 then high else nan;
sell.SetDefaultColor(Color.DARK_ORANGE);
sell.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_DOWN);
sell.SetLineWeight(3);

plot buy = if turning_point and concavity == 1 then low else nan;
buy.SetDefaultColor(Color.CYAN);
buy.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);
buy.SetLineWeight(3);

def divergence = HMA - next_bar;

addLabel(no, concat("DIVERGENCE: " , divergence * 10000), color = if concavity < 0 then if divergence[1] > divergence then Color.RED else color.PINK else if divergence[1] < divergence then color.green else color.yellow);

###################
#
# ALERTS
#
###################

Alert(condition = buy, text = "Buy", "alert type" = Alert.BAR, sound = Sound.Bell);

Alert(condition = sell, text = "Sell", "alert type" = Alert.BAR, sound = Sound.Chimes);

###################
#
# 2020-05-01
#
# MOBILE TOS SUPPORT
#
# Each color of the HMA needs to be a separate plot as ToS Mobile
# lacks the ability to assign colors the way ToS Desktop does.
# I recommend a plain colored HMA behind the line
# Set the line color of the HMA above to gray or some neutral
#
# CCD_D -> ConCave Down and Decreasing
# CCD_I -> ConCave Down and Increasing
# CCU_D -> ConCave Up and Decreasing
# CCU_I -> ConCave Up and Increasing
#
###################
plot CCD_D = if concavity == -1 and HMA < HMA[1] then HMA else nan;
CCD_D.SetDefaultColor(Color.RED);
CCD_D.SetLineWeight(3);

plot CCD_I = if concavity == -1 and HMA >= HMA[1] then HMA else nan;
CCD_I.SetDefaultColor(Color.DARK_ORANGE);
CCD_I.SetLineWeight(3);

plot CCU_D = if concavity == 1 and HMA <= HMA[1] then HMA else nan;
CCU_D.SetDefaultColor(COLOR.DARK_GREEN);
CCU_D.SetLineWeight(3);

plot CCU_I = if concavity == 1 and HMA > HMA[1] then HMA else nan;
CCU_I.SetDefaultColor(COLOR.GREEN);
CCU_I.SetLineWeight(3);

Thank you very much mashume. It would be a great help!!!
If you feel like hacking code, replace the ALERTS section in the code with this block:
Code:
###################
#
# ALERTS
#
###################

Alert(condition = buy, text = "Buy", "alert type" = Alert.BAR, sound = Sound.Bell);

Alert(condition = sell, text = "Sell", "alert type" = Alert.BAR, sound = Sound.Chimes);

Alert(condition = MA_Max, text = "MA Maximum", "alert type" = Alert.BAR, sound = Sound.Ding);

Alert(condition = MA_Min, text = "MA Minumum", "alert type" = Alert.BAR, sound = Sound.Ding);

happy trading
-mashume

If you feel like hacking code, replace the ALERTS section in the code with this block:
Code:
###################
#
# ALERTS
#
###################

Alert(condition = MA_Max, text = "MA Maximum", "alert type" = Alert.BAR, sound = Sound.Ding);

Alert(condition = MA_Min, text = "MA Minumum", "alert type" = Alert.BAR, sound = Sound.Ding);

happy trading
-mashume

Thank you mashume. Is there any chance that you can put this in strategy so we can test out how it works in the backtest. I am sorry if I am asking too much. always appreciate your help. Thank you again.

Thank you mashume. Is there any chance that you can put this in strategy so we can test out how it works in the backtest. I am sorry if I am asking too much. always appreciate your help. Thank you again.
@astro_phx :
I could, and you may easily. However, remember that the original entry end exit points for this indicator are the turning points, not the local maxima and minima. Using local extrema as entry and exit signals would be a completely different strategy. I can't say that's not a good one, or one you or anyone else might find profitable, but the turning points was the original intent.

Documentation for adding buy and sell orders may be found here:
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Others/AddOrder
and you can use the MA_MAX and MA_MIN as the condition.

so your order might look like this:
Code:
AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_AUTO, MA_MIN, open[-1], 50);
AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_AUTO, MA_MAX, open[-1], 50);

Of course, there is much more you can do with the orders, and be careful where you set the buy/sell price as it can affect your P/L dramatically. This indicator repaints, so for a true test, you might want to test at open[-2]. Up to you and how you trade it. Make it a realistic emulation/simulation of your implementation of the strategy or it won't tell you very much about how it would perform for you.

Good luck, and have fun.

-mashume

@astro_phx :
I could, and you may easily. However, remember that the original entry end exit points for this indicator are the turning points, not the local maxima and minima. Using local extrema as entry and exit signals would be a completely different strategy. I can't say that's not a good one, or one you or anyone else might find profitable, but the turning points was the original intent.

Documentation for adding buy and sell orders may be found here:
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Others/AddOrder
and you can use the MA_MAX and MA_MIN as the condition.

so your order might look like this:
Code:
AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_AUTO, MA_MIN, open[-1], 50);
AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_AUTO, MA_MAX, open[-1], 50);

Of course, there is much more you can do with the orders, and be careful where you set the buy/sell price as it can affect your P/L dramatically. This indicator repaints, so for a true test, you might want to test at open[-2]. Up to you and how you trade it. Make it a realistic emulation/simulation of your implementation of the strategy or it won't tell you very much about how it would perform for you.

Good luck, and have fun.

-mashume
@mashume Thank you again. I will try it out and watch how it does on Monday.

@mashume How do the negative array indexes work in your post above? Does open[-1], open[-2], and HMA[-1] in the original script refer to values in the future or is it the first tick in the bar?

@mashume How do the negative array indexes work in your post above? Does open[-1], open[-2], and HMA[-1] in the original script refer to values in the future or is it the first tick in the bar?
the bracket indicates the bar relative to current you wish to get a value for. open[0] is the same as open. open[1] is the open of the immediately proceeding bar. open[-1] is the open of the next bar. I if open[-2] would work or not, and I don't have ToS open to check right now. alternatively, you could use the buy condition as MA_MIN[1] paired with OPEN[-1] to the same effect.

-mashume

Code:
# Love those painted candles.
# Hull Moving Average Concavity and Turning Points
# or
# The Second Derivative of the Hull Moving Average
#
# Author: Seth Urion (Mahsume)
# Version: 2020-05-01 V4 / Moded With painted candles
#
# Now with support for ToS Mobile
#
# This code is licensed (as applicable) under the GPL v3
# UseThinkScript.com
# https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...avity-2nd-derivatives.1803/page-14#post-23080
# ----------------------

# INSTRUCTIONS:
# SETTINGS TO SET UP ALERT NOTIFICATIONS - JAzcarate -
# BUY / SELL CHART ALERTS WITH EMAIL / TEXT
# STUDY NAME: HULL MOVING AVERAGE TURNING POINTS
# 2 MINUTE CHART SETTING 200 period HMA
# 5 MINUTE CHART SETTING 100 period HMA
# 10 MINUTE CHART SETTING 55 PERIOD HMA

# SELL FROM RESISTANCE - BUY FROM SUPPORT

declare upper;

input price = HL2;
input HMA_Length = 250;
input lookback = 2;

# I read somewhere that it's faster to define nan's and then use the def'd var rather than call double.nan every time.
def nan = double.nan;

def delta = HMA[1] - HMA[lookback + 1];

plot turning_point = if concavity[1] != concavity then HMA else nan;

HMA.SetLineWeight(3);

plot MA_Max = if HMA[-1] < HMA and HMA > HMA[1] then HMA else NaN;
MA_Max.SetLineWeight(3);

plot MA_Min = if HMA[-1] > HMA and HMA < HMA[1] then HMA else Nan;
MA_Min.SetLineWeight(3);

# NOTE: I PREFER TO TURN OFF UP ARROWS WHEN IN DOWN TREND. IF IN DOWNTRENDING SWINGARM, THE TURN ON ONLY DOWN SELL ARROWS. YOU CAN DO THIS USING THE INPUT SETTINGS SCREEN.

plot sell = if turning_point and concavity == -1 then high else nan;
sell.SetLineWeight(3);

plot buy = if turning_point and concavity == 1 then low else nan;
buy.SetLineWeight(3);

addLabel(yes, concat("DIVERGENCE: " , divergence), color = if concavity < 0 then if divergence[1] > divergence then Color.RED else color.PINK else if divergence[1] < divergence then color.green else color.yellow);

###################
#
# ALERTS
#
###################

Alert(condition = buy within 3 bars, text = "Buy", "alert type" = Alert.BAR, sound = Sound.Bell);

Alert(condition = sell within 3 bars, text = "Sell", "alert type" = Alert.BAR, sound = Sound.Chimes);

###################
#
# 2020-05-01
#
# MOBILE TOS SUPPORT
#
# Each color of the HMA needs to be a separate plot as ToS Mobile
# lacks the ability to assign colors the way ToS Desktop does.
# I recommend a plain colored HMA behind the line
# Set the line color of the HMA above to gray or some neutral
#
# CCD_D -> ConCave Down and Decreasing
# CCD_I -> ConCave Down and Increasing
# CCU_D -> ConCave Up and Decreasing
# CCU_I -> ConCave Up and Increasing
#
###################
plot CCD_D = if concavity == -1 and HMA < HMA[1] then HMA else nan;
CCD_D.SetDefaultColor(Color.RED);
CCD_D.SetLineWeight(3);

plot CCD_I = if concavity == -1 and HMA >= HMA[1] then HMA else nan;
CCD_I.SetDefaultColor(Color.DARK_ORANGE);
CCD_I.SetLineWeight(3);

plot CCU_D = if concavity == 1 and HMA <= HMA[1] then HMA else nan;
CCU_D.SetDefaultColor(COLOR.DARK_GREEN);
CCU_D.SetLineWeight(3);

plot CCU_I = if concavity == 1 and HMA > HMA[1] then HMA else nan;
CCU_I.SetDefaultColor(COLOR.GREEN);
CCU_I.SetLineWeight(3);

AddChartBubble(MA_MAX == MA_MAX , MA_MAX , "SHORT DA **** OUT OF THAT ****" , Color.YELLOW,no);

AddChartBubble(MA_MIN == MA_MIN , MA_MIN , "BUY Confirmed" , Color.YELLOW, yes);

assignPriceColor(if concavity[1] == -1 then
if HMA > HMA[1] then color.dark_green else color.red else
if HMA < HMA[1] then color.red else color.green);

Last edited by a moderator:
@mashume Can you please look at this code and correct it for the alert. I have put the code you have given to me but the alert is not working into it. Am I doing something wrong?

Code:
#
#  or
#
# Author: Seth Urion (Mahsume)
# Version: 2020-02-23 V3
# Faster, but not necessarily mathematically as good as the first
#
#
# ----------------------

declare upper;

input price = close;
input HMA_Length = 55;
input lookback = 5;

# def delta_per_bar =
# (fold n = 0 to lookback with s do s + getValue(HMA, n, lookback - 1)) / lookback;

plot turning_point = if concavity[1] != concavity then HMA else double.nan;

HMA.SetLineWeight(3);

plot MA_Max = if HMA[-1] < HMA and HMA > HMA[1] then HMA else Double.NaN;
MA_Max.SetLineWeight(3);

plot MA_Min = if HMA[-1] > HMA and HMA < HMA[1] then HMA else Double.Nan;
MA_Min.SetLineWeight(3);

plot sell = if MA_Max and HMA[-1] then open[-1] else double.nan;
sell.SetLineWeight(3);

plot buy = if MA_Min and HMA[-1] then open[-1] else double.nan;
buy.SetLineWeight(3);

addLabel(no, concat("DIVERGENCE: " , divergence), color = if concavity < 0 then if divergence[1] > divergence then Color.RED else color.PINK else if divergence[1] < divergence then color.green else color.yellow);

###################
#
# ALERTS
#
###################

###################

AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_AUTO, MA_Min, tickcolor = Color.WHITE, arrowcolor = Color.WHITE, name = "LONG", tradeSize = 1, price = open[-1]);

AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_AUTO, MA_Max, tickcolor = Color.WHITE, arrowcolor = Color.WHITE, name = "SHORT", tradeSize = 1, price = open[-1]);

Hi all, I just started using this code this morning. I have it on the /NQ on the 5 minute chart, with a setting of 5 (it starts with a setting of 21). Not using it for signals, just confirmation, although with further study, it could be interpreted for signals. My main overview chart is 15 minutes, setup in 5 minute chart (with this study), then trigger in 1 minute chart. I had to comment out the "alerts" in the original code because of error messages, but I didn't read through all the comments to see if that was covered. Probably not related, but I notice that for the last few days, Alerts are not working in TOS, and they said they are aware of the problem, whatever that means. Thanks to the developer and comments from others....

Just to update my post, I tried the 5 setting on the "hma setting" on a 5 minute chart for confirmation of entry signals, and that turned out to be a little too "tight." I went to a 10 setting, and that seems to work much better for both trend indication (colored MA) and for price crosses of said line. I should add that in trading the /NQ, I am only in for minutes to hours. The short term moves lately can be $1000s of loss in minutes if not careful.

Hi all

The normal scan = Concavity("hma length" = 55, price = CLOSE)."buy" is true within 2 bars

Is there a way to scan for the confirmed buys, the alerts use this "MA_MIN == MA_MIN , MA_MIN , "BUY Confirmed" - is there a way to scan for this?

@mashume so version 4 calculates the buy and sell arrows based on last past candle and current candle? which means the arrows (if shown) won't disappear after closing of the current candle?

As I was looking at the Hull Moving Average, it occurred to me that taking the local minimums and maximums might not be the most effective use of it's smooth nature. Nor did it seem that a moving average cross over would provide timely signals.

And then I remembered that I used to teach physics and calculus and decided to look at rates of change and that lead me to...

CONCAVITY

which is nothing but the second derivative of the function (if you remember or not) :) and so this indicator was born.

It is in two parts -- the upper which is the Hull Moving Average with the addition of colored segments representing concavity and turning points: maxima, minima and inflection. The last of these are of the greatest interest. The second part is a plot of the calculation used in finding the turning points (which is roughly the second derivative of the HMA function, where zero crosses are the inflection points.

SDcVypw.png

UPPER INDICATOR

Upper HMA colors:
  • Green: Concave Up but HMA decreasing. The 'mood' has changed and the declining trend of the HMA is slowing. Long trades were entered at the turning point
  • Light Green: Concave up and HMA increasing. Price is increasing, and since the curve is still concave up, it is accelerating upward.
  • Orange: Concavity is now downward, and though price is still increasing, the rate has slowed, perhaps the mood has become less enthusiastic. We EXIT the trade (long) when this phase starts. Very little additional upward price movement is likely.
  • Red: Concave down and HMA decreasing. Not good for long trades, but get ready for a turning point to enter long on again.

Upper Label Colors:
these are useful for getting ready to enter a trade, or exit a trade and serve as warnings that a turning point may be reached soon
  • Green: Concave up and divergence (the distance from the expected HMA value to the actual HMA value is increasing). That is, we're moving away from a 2nd derivative zero crossover.
  • Yellow: Concave up but the divergence is decreasing (heading toward a 2nd derivative zero crossover); it may soon be time to exit the trade.
  • Red: Concave down and the absolute value of the divergence is increasing (moving away from crossover)
  • Pink: Concave down but approaching a zero crossover from below (remember that that is the entry signal, so pink means 'get ready').
Arrows are provided as Buy and Sell and could perhaps be scanned against.

LOWER INDICATOR

For those who prefer less cluttered uppers, I offer the plot of the divergence from expected HMA values; analogous to the second derivative in that the zero crossovers are of interest, as is the slope of the line. The further from zero, the stronger the curve of the concavity, and the more likely to reach a local minima or maxima in short order.

Miscelaneous

If you find that there are too many buy and sell signals, you can change the length of the HMA (I find 34 a happy medium, though 55 and sometimes 89 can be appropriate). You can also play with the value of the lookback, though that will slow down signals.

This works well on Daily timeframes as well as intraday candles.

I set it up with High + Low / 2 as the default so that it shouldn't wait for close prices. That may not be appropriate to how you wish to trade.

Comments welcome. Let me know how you use it, how it works for your trades, and whether it made your head hurt trying to remember your calculus.

Happy Trading,
Mashume

UPPER:
https://tos.mx/cgKFdmm

LOWER:
https://tos.mx/p0k7ims

UPPER CODE

Code:
#
#  or
#
# Author: Seth Urion (Mashume)
# Faster, but not necessarily mathematically as good as the first
#
#
# ----------------------

declare upper;

input price = HL2;
input HMA_Length = 21;
input lookback = 2;

# def delta_per_bar =
# (fold n = 0 to lookback with s do s + getValue(HMA, n, lookback - 1)) / lookback;

plot turning_point = if concavity[1] != concavity then HMA else double.nan;

HMA.SetLineWeight(3);

plot MA_Max = if HMA[-1] < HMA and HMA > HMA[1] then HMA else Double.NaN;

#####
# Added Alerts 2020-02-23
Alert(condition = buy, text = "Buy", "alert type" = Alert.BAR, sound = Sound.Chimes);

LOWER CODE

Code:
#
# Hull Moving Average Concavity Divergence
#  or
#
# Author: Seth Urion (Mashume)
#
#
# ----------------------

declare lower;

input price = OPEN;

input HMA_length = 55;
input lookback = 2;

def HMA = HullMovingAvg(length = HMA_length, price = price);

plot zero = 0;
zero.setdefaultcolor(color.gray);
zero.setpaintingstrategy(PaintingStrategy.DASHES);

plot divergence = HMA - next_bar;
divergence.setDefaultColor(Color.LIME);
divergence.SetLineweight(2);

plot cx_up = if divergence crosses above zero then 0 else double.nan;
cx_up.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
cx_up.SetDefaultColor(Color.LIGHT_GREEN);
cx_up.SetLineWeight(4);

plot cx_down = if divergence crosses below zero then 0 else double.nan;
cx_down.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
cx_down.SetDefaultColor(Color.RED);
cx_down.SetLineWeight(4);

NEW VERSION 4

Now with Mobile!
https://tos.mx/NXqbYE9
great job!! thank you some for share this awesome scripts.. please can you share with us the back testing strategy please. thank you once again

@mashume, thank your for this script and all the help you've provided. I would like to know if there's anyway to make this work in a tick setting. It seems possible but since the code is written to aggregate period, Tick chart is not supported.

wow, yeah, ever had that feeling rate of change is slowing and its time to get out of a long? great job making it visual... Ill be playing around with this in the am... Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.