How to import existing thinkScript code on ThinkorSwim

BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
If somebody shared with you a block of code to use on ThinkorSwim, most likely that's a thinkScript code. This means you will have to import it manually into ThinkorSwim in order for it to turn into an actual indicator.

For beginners, importing some plain code into a software is difficult. This tutorial should walk you through that process.

How to Import thinkScript code in ThinkorSwim platform

• 1. Launch ThinkorSwim from your computer
  • 2. Click on Studies (should be near the top right hand corner)
  • 3. Edit Studies > Create
  • 4. Give your indicator a name
  • 5. Copy and paste the thinkScipt code into the thinkScript Editor
  • 6. Click Ok
  • 7. Click Apply
And now from a simple block of code, you just turn it into an indicator.

Some screenshots just in case you need extra assistance.

Last edited:
N

natetorres99

I go to the suggested indicators but all is see is coding and no url to put into think or swim

markos

markos

VIP
I go to the suggested indicators but all is see is coding and no url to put into think or swim
@natetorres99

Welcome to use thinkscript! If you are new to trading, please read through our very comprehensive Tutorials. Also, at the top of your thinkorswim program there is a tab called Education. Please read that over and watch the videos. Reading is essential!
It is very important that you learn to walk before you can run.

When you are on TOS, please use PAPERMoney for a number of years. Focus on one concept at a time.
If you are going to jump into the deep end of the pool, please be sure you fully understand the concepts. This is the ultimate video game but it can be very dangerous for even the most experienced trader. You will generally be better off saving code to a program called Notepad++ to keep your codes in. (Free Download)

The links are nice, but they expire and if you put a link in for a Market Watch Column, you can't ever delete it.

hitogamy

hitogamy

I follow the step but still doesn't show the indicator please help me

BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
@hitogamy Which indicator did you import? Take a screenshot of your screen.

hitogamy

hitogamy

@hitogamy Which indicator did you import? Take a screenshot of your screen.
i try do do step by step but nothing there is other way can you help me please , it hard for me to share the screenshot

if i ask for to much can we do zoom

Last edited by a moderator:
sniktau

sniktau

As chance would have it, I made a gif to help some friends. Probably redundant but some people like movies!