How to Fill Gaps in AddCloud function

shalinar

Hello, part of the indicator that I'm writing includes a background via AddCloud that colors itself based on the strength of the trend (roughly: "weak bullish", "strong bullish", "weak bearish", "strong bearish", or "none").

The cloud takes into account whether MACD is > 0 or not, the MACD diff, and what the ADX is.

The issue I'm trying to solve is: when the trend changes (most commonly from the MACD diff flipping +/-), AddCloud leaves a gap between the previous cloud and the new cloud. Why is that? What's the best way to fill the gap? I've tried a few things unsuccessfully, so I'm asking for help here.

Lr4J5En.png

If you look closely, the gap is between candles, when one of the conditions changes (easiest to see when MACD line crosses the signal line).

Here's the relevant code:
Code:
declare lower;

input OverboughtOversold = 0.8;

def macd = MACD(fast_length = 12, slow_length = 26, macd_length = 9);
def adx = ADX(14);

def bulltrend = macd().Diff < 0 and macd > 0 and adx > 20;
def beartrend = macd().Diff > 0 and macd < 0 and adx > 20;
def strongbulltrend = macd().Diff > 0 and macd > 0 and adx > 20;
def strongbeartrend = macd().Diff < 0 and macd < 0 and adx > 20;

def bullcloudL = if bulltrend then OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
def bullcloudH = if bulltrend then -OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
AddCloud(bullcloudL, bullcloudH, Color.DARK_GREEN, Color.DARK_RED, yes);

def bearcloudL = if beartrend then OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
def bearcloudH = if beartrend then -OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
AddCloud(bearcloudL, bearcloudH, Color.DARK_RED, Color.DARK_GREEN, yes);

def strongbullcloudL = if strongbulltrend then OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
def strongbullcloudH = if strongbulltrend then -OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
AddCloud(strongbullcloudL, strongbullcloudH, Color.GREEN, Color.RED, yes);

def strongbearcloudL = if strongbeartrend then OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
def strongbearcloudH = if strongbeartrend then -OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
AddCloud(strongbearcloudL, strongbearcloudH, Color.RED, Color.GREEN, yes);

Related: I've also seen similar uses of AddCloud where the transition between the different values has a "triangular" look to it instead of just cutting off abruptly:
S39B8dk.png

I cannot figure out how to replicate this either.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Solution
Hello, part of the indicator that I'm writing includes a background via AddCloud that colors itself based on the strength of the trend (roughly: "weak bullish", "strong bullish", "weak bearish", "strong bearish", or "none").

The cloud takes into account whether MACD is > 0 or not, the MACD diff, and what the ADX is.

The issue I'm trying to solve is: when the trend changes (most commonly from the MACD diff flipping +/-), AddCloud leaves a gap between the previous cloud and the new cloud. Why is that? What's the best way to fill the gap? I've tried a few things unsuccessfully, so I'm asking for help here.

If you look closely, the gap is between candles, when one of the conditions changes (easiest to see when MACD line...

Lr4J5En.png

If you look closely, the gap is between candles, when one of the conditions changes (easiest to see when MACD line crosses the signal line).

Code:
declare lower;

def adx = ADX(14);

def strongbullcloudL = if strongbulltrend then OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
def strongbullcloudH = if strongbulltrend then -OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;

def strongbearcloudL = if strongbeartrend then OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
def strongbearcloudH = if strongbeartrend then -OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;

Related: I've also seen similar uses of AddCloud where the transition between the different values has a "triangular" look to it instead of just cutting off abruptly:
S39B8dk.png

Cloud gaps occur when using multiple addcloud statements.
The gap is based on the type of logic.
The "cutting off abruptly" occurs with boolean logic which are abrupt. Yes/No, true/false, 1/0...
Triangular results are not boolean-based.

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Code:
declare lower;

def adx = ADX(14);

there are gaps, because you are using 2+ addclouds.
when 1 cloud stops and another starts, there will be a gap between 2 bars because there is 2 different color signals on the 2 bars, green, red, red green,...

to get rid of the gap, you can add a condition to check if the next bar has the desired signal.
. def bullcloudL = if bulltrend or bulltrend[-1] then ...

clouds can draw shading between 2 price levels, at 2 colors.
if the first price is bigger than the 2nd price , then the 1st color is used. if the 2nd price is bigger, then the 2nd color is used.
when a transition happens, the price levels swap, and cause the x in between the 2 colors.
to get rid of this, use 2+ addclouds and just 1 color in each

change the numbers in this test code, to see what happens
addcloud(2,3,color.green, color.red);

Code:
# cloud_gaps

#https://usethinkscript.com/threads/how-to-fill-gaps-in-addcloud-function.17946/
#How to Fill Gaps in AddCloud function
#shalinar  2/27

#Hello, part of the indicator that I'm writing includes a background via AddCloud that colors itself based on the strength of the trend (roughly: "weak bullish", "strong bullish", "weak bearish", "strong bearish", or "none").

#The cloud takes into account whether MACD is > 0 or not, the MACD diff, and what the ADX is.

#The issue I'm trying to solve is: when the trend changes (most commonly from the MACD diff flipping +/-), AddCloud leaves a gap between the previous cloud and the new cloud. Why is that? What's the best way to fill the gap? I've tried a few things unsuccessfully, so I'm asking for help here.

#If you look closely, the gap is between candles, when one of the conditions changes (easiest to see when MACD line crosses the signal line).

declare lower;

def adx = ADX(14);

# add xx[-1] variable to start cloud 1 bar earlier , to remove gaps
def bullcloudL = if bulltrend or bulltrend[-1] then OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
def bullcloudH = if bulltrend or bulltrend[-1] then -OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;

def bearcloudL = if beartrend or beartrend[-1] then OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
def bearcloudH = if beartrend or beartrend[-1] then -OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;

def strongbullcloudL = if strongbulltrend or strongbulltrend[-1] then OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
def strongbullcloudH = if strongbulltrend or strongbulltrend[-1] then -OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;

def strongbearcloudL = if strongbeartrend or strongbeartrend[-1] then OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;
def strongbearcloudH = if strongbeartrend or strongbeartrend[-1] then -OverboughtOversold else Double.NaN;

# test code , change the numbers to see what happens
#addcloud(2,3,color.green, color.red);
#

Last edited:
Solution
The "cutting off abruptly" occurs with boolean logic which are abrupt. Yes/No, true/false, 1/0...
Triangular results are not boolean-based.

With all due respect I actually don't think this part is correct. The screenshot I provided of the triangular/"X" transition shape is directly from Simpler Trading's "Ready Fire Aim" indicator, which uses boolean logic:
IF4oLX0.png

With some experimentation, it seems to come down entirely to what @halcyonguy said. Basically, the triangular/X transition shape only occurs when the same AddCloud paints both shapes. Since each of my colors were being painted by a separate AddCloud call, none of them could transition to each other.

I've since consolidated down to two clouds and I can confirm that the X transition shape shows up within the two conditions painted by the same AddCloud function.

The gap remains between where the colors are painted by different AddCloud functions, but I can use the xx[-1] example to paint over those. Some overlapping occurs which I'll have to sort out but it's a solution.

Thank you both for your answers, with those and some extra testing I was able to bring this script to a place where I'm happy with it.