Finding Bullish Stocks On Weekly and Daily Time Frame For ThinkOrSwim

I know there has been much talk on finding trending or bullish stocks.

After playing around with the scanning feature and using the market phase indicator it really has become easy to find stocks based on bullish, bearish, accumulation, or whatever phase you are looking for. Below are some screenshots and explanations.

I am using the market phase by trend advisor Chuck Davis
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/market-phases-indicator-for-thinkorswim.1025/
It works extremely well. The scans are set up to look for weekly and daily Bullish trends.

What I found interesting is setting it to look for stocks in the accumulation phase gave some great results.

I also set it to look for stocks that just went from accumulation to the bullish phase.

By doing this I limited my scans to only the strong trending stocks.

I was also using "ichimoko" but you could use whatever method you like of course.

This scan just limits the strong trending stocks. If there are any suggestions or improvements please let me know.

I am scanning for only bullish stocks in this scan. I will add the accumulation phase and give an example.
Setting the scans becomes easy and utilizing both weekly and daily time frames hone in on good stocks.
I also added the market phase in my scan column. Hope this will help some people.
0eCi658.png

3X1Co55.png

wIokXxP.png

Scan for accumulation on the daily time frame is below
GKePzMF.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm defiantly going to have to give this a try. I have been trying to find scans that can pick out bullish patterns for day trading. Everyone can come up with a strategy but the better question would be is how to find the right stock to trade and from what it looks like this does just that. Thank you !!

I'm defiantly going to have to give this a try. I have been trying to find scans that can pick out bullish patterns for day trading. Everyone can come up with a strategy but the better question would be is how to find the right stock to trade and from what it looks like this does just that. Thank you !!
MerryDay had the Market_Phase on her chart setup, I believe. I use it to find only stocks that are trending or getting ready to. I also have it added to my watch list columns.
I also did two scans, one for weekly trends and then daily trends.
It has helped in narrowing down what I'm looking for

MerryDay had the Market_Phase on her chart setup, I believe. I use it to find only stocks that are trending or getting ready to. I also have it added to my watch list columns.
I also did two scans, one for weekly trends and then daily trends.
It has helped in narrowing down what I'm looking for
What website is this? my indicator is giving me different parameters. Please help

Sorry for so many posts.
the code below is the one to use for your watch list, as it blocks out things that are not needed.
Add this to the watch list
Ruby:
#Trend Advisor Market Phases;
#Credit to the Chuck Dukas for creating the system and for then author of the VolumeTrendLabels whose study was use to create this indicator. Ensure you set the correct aggregation period to then chart, this helps calculate the correct volume and price action.

def agg = getAggregationPeriod();
#input vPeriod = AggregationPeriod.day; #hint vPeriod: Enter the chart time you use here. Required to properly caluclate volume and price strength.
def vPeriod = getAggregationPeriod();
def O = open(period = vPeriod);
def H = high(period = vPeriod);
def C = close(period = vPeriod);
def L = low(period = vPeriod);
def V = volume(period = vPeriod);

def SV = V * (H - C) / (H - L);
def BV = V * (C - L) / (H - L);

# below determines if volume supports the move, adds conviction
#AddLabel(yes, "Buyer Vol Strong ", if high > high[1] and low > low[1] and BV*1.05 > SV then Color.GREEN else color.black);
#AddLabel(yes, "Seller Vol Strong", if high < high[1] and low < low[1] and SV*1.05 > BV then Color.MAGENTA else color.black);

# below determines if price supports the move
#AddLabel(yes, "Price Strong ", if high > high[1] and high [1] > high[2] and low > low[1] and low[1] > low[2] then Color.GREEN else color.black);
#AddLabel(yes, "Price Weak", if high < high[1] and high[1] < high[2] and low < low[1] and low[1] < low[2] then Color.MAGENTA else color.black);
def PriceStrong = high > high[1] and high [1] > high[2] and low > low[1] and low[1] > low[2];
def PriceWeak = high < high[1] and high[1] < high[2] and low < low[1] and low[1] < low[2];
def BuyVolStrong = high > high[1] and low > low[1] and BV*1.05 > SV;
def SellVolStrong = high < high[1] and low < low[1] and SV*1.05 > BV;

declare upper;
input price = close;
input displace = 0;
input avglength = 10; #hint avgLength: Then exponential average length you want to use for your pullback entries.
def fastavg = 50;
def slowavg = 200;

plot fastsma = Average( price, fastavg);
fastsma.SetDefaultColor(Color.Green);

plot slowsma = Average(price, slowavg);
slowsma.SetDefaultColor(Color.Red);

# Bullish criteria define below
# Define criteria for Bullish Phase : close > 50 SMA, close > 200 SMA, 50 SMA > 200 SMA
def bullphase = fastsma > slowsma && price > fastsma && price > slowsma;

# Define criteria for Accumulation Phase : close > 50 SMA, close > 200 SMA, 50 SMA < 200 SMA
def accphase = fastsma < slowsma && price > fastsma && price > slowsma;

# Define criteria for Recovery Phase : close > 50 SMA, close < 200 SMA, 50 SMA < 200 SMA
def recphase = fastsma < slowsma && price < slowsma && price > fastsma;

# Bearish Criteria define below
# Define criteria for Bearish Phase : close < 50 SMA, close < 200 SMA, 50 SMA < 200 SMA
def bearphase = fastsma < slowsma && price < fastsma && price < slowsma;

# Define criteria for Distribution Phase : close < 50 SMA, close < 200 SMA, 50 SMA > 200 SMA
def distphase = fastsma > slowsma && price < fastsma && price < slowsma;

# Define criteria for Warning Phase : close < 50 SMA, close > 200 SMA, 50 SMA > 200 SMA
def warnphase = fastsma > slowsma && price > slowsma && price < fastsma;

# Below conditions are for a possible entry when price touches the fastema
#def pbavg = MovingAverage(Average, price, avglength);
def pbavg = ExpAverage(data = price[-displace], length = avglength);

input bullpullback = yes; #hint bullpullback: Do you want to display the pullback arrows for bullish fast ema entries.
input bearpullback = yes; #hint bearpullback: Do you want to display the pullback arrows for bearish fast ema entries.

def bullishpb = low < pbavg && open > pbavg;
def bearishpb = high > pbavg && open < pbavg;

def bullpb = bullphase is true && bullishpb is true;
def bearpb = bearphase is true && bearishpb is true;

# Plot Signals
plot bullpb1 = if bullpullback then bullpb else 0;
bullpb1.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
bullpb1.SetDefaultColor(Color.CYAN);
bullpb1.SetLineWeight(1);

plot bearpb1 = if bearpullback then bearpb else 0;
bearpb1.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
bearpb1.SetDefaultColor(Color.red);
bearpb1.SetLineWeight(1);

plot buphase = bullphase is true;
plot acphase = accphase is true;
plot rephase = recphase is true;

plot bephase = bearphase is true;
plot dphase = distphase is true;
plot wphase = warnphase is true;

# Identifies signals for Price and Volume Strength/Weakness
plot PrStrong = PriceStrong is true;
plot PrWeak = PriceWeak is true;

plot VolStrong = BuyVolStrong is true;
plot VolWeak = SellVolStrong is true;

# Adds Labels for Price/Volume Strength and Weakness
#AddLabel(yes, "Price Strong", if PriceStrong is true then Color.Green else color.BLACK);
#AddLabel(PriceWeak, "Price Weak", if PriceWeak is true then Color.Red else color.BLACK);
#AddLabel(SellVolStrong, "Sell Vol Strong", if SellVolStrong is true then color.RED else color.BLACK);
#assignBackgroundColor(if PrStrong then color.GREEN else if PrWeak then color.RED else color.BLACK);

# Below adds labels to the chart to identify what phase the underlying is in
AddLabel(bullphase, " Bull Phase" , if bullphase is true then Color.GREEN else Color.BLACK);
AddLabel(accphase, " Accumation Phase ", if accphase is true then Color.lIGHT_GREEN else Color.BLACK);
AddLabel(recphase, " Recovery Phase ", if recphase is true then Color.lIGHT_ORANGE else Color.BLACK);
AddLabel(warnphase, " Warning Phase ", if warnphase is true then Color.orANGE else Color.BLACK);
AddLabel(distphase, " Distribution Phase ", if distphase is true then Color.light_red else Color.BLACK);
AddLabel(bearphase, " Bear Phase ", if bearphase is true then Color.red else Color.BLACK);

#assignPriceColor(if bullphase then Color.GREEN else if bearphase then Color.RED else Color.orange);

Ok. Here is a scan I ran today using Ben10's "buy the dip" indicator.
As you can see, only one stock shows a bullish configuration, so I concentrated on it. It looks good as the Stochastic/momentum is in the suitable range. I'm keeping my eye on this one as a possible play. It is also right at the 50mday moving average.

ns1ebeP.png

Follow Merry Day please, she knows her stuff. And the rest of the crew.
Mimai553

After playing around with the scanning feature and using the market phase indicator it really has become easy to find stocks based on bullish, bearish, accumulation, or whatever phase you are looking for. Below are some screenshots and explanations.

https://usethinkscript.com/threads/market-phases-indicator-for-thinkorswim.1025/
It works extremely well. The scans are set up to look for weekly and daily Bullish trends.

What I found interesting is setting it to look for stocks in the accumulation phase gave some great results.

I also set it to look for stocks that just went from accumulation to the bullish phase.

I was also using "ichimoko" but you could use whatever method you like of course.

This scan just limits the strong trending stocks. If there are any suggestions or improvements please let me know.

I am scanning for only bullish stocks in this scan. I will add the accumulation phase and give an example.
Setting the scans becomes easy and utilizing both weekly and daily time frames hone in on good stocks.
I also added the market phase in my scan column. Hope this will help some people.
View attachment 12324

View attachment 12325

View attachment 12326

View attachment 12327
for the first scan, do you use the same market phase study and change the timeframe to WK?
my scan script goes like this: MarketPhase). "buphase" is true, which is different from your with "v period........"

View attachment 12324

View attachment 12325

View attachment 12326

View attachment 12327
Can you please share the 3 custom filter scripts?

View attachment 12324

View attachment 12325

View attachment 12326

View attachment 12327
Can you please share this scanner?

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
478 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back