Daily Watchlist of Stocks to Day Trade Weekly Options For ThinkOrSwim

MasterSteve

VIP
@BenTen and I have been working on different ways to incorporate unusual options flow into our trading. The majority of work I’ve done with flow so far is related to swing trading, but it can also work for scalping as well. Here’s how this strategy works: Ben and I keep a watchlist of mostly large cap tech stocks that we usually watch and trade. I scan this watchlist every day after hours for notable option flows and make a watchlist of any that are likely to move the next day.

This is different from my other UOA work because I am only scanning tickers we are familiar with, not scanning the whole market. Meaning I may not see unusual flow, but I can see if one side has more interest than the other. The goal for this strategy is for scalp trading only. I expect to see a move the very next day, or I’m out of the trade. The data we’ve gathered has been interesting so far and we thought we’d share what we’re working on with the site. We’ve gotten a fairly good success rate on picking stocks that move, but we’re still working on picking the right direction.

For example, our watchlist for Friday 11/8/2019 was
  • BABA down
  • MU up
  • QCOM up
  • ABBV up
  • INTC up
  • CVS up
  • WMT up
BABA

ujDAxdA.jpg

Above is a picture of the 5 minute chart for BABA with some recent support and resistance lines drawn in. Thursday November 7th is the day on the left, the shaded section is aftermarket/premarket, and Friday November 8th is the day on the right. From the last few days of flow, I thought BABA would go down on Friday. To make this simpler to track, I’m saying I’d enter all of these positions at open. I checked the flow in the first 15 minutes of market open, and there’s a lot of flow pointing to the downside. That confirms our earlier thesis and I would hold. I probably would have sold before the price hits the previous support line at about $185.5, but at that point is a great position to exit if you didn’t already.

MU

FpDTs7P.jpg

Above is a picture of the 5 minute chart for MU with some recent support and resistance lines drawn in. From the last few days of flow, I thought MU would go up on Friday. First thing we notice is about 5-10 minutes into market open, a lot of flow points to the downside. The next thing that went wrong is MU never broke a previous resistance line at about 6:50 PST. At this point I’d jump out for a small loss.

QCOM

xyBJqYt.jpg

Above is a picture of the 5 minute chart for QCOM with some recent support and resistance lines drawn in. From the last few days of flow, I thought QCOM would go up on Friday. First thing we notice is about 5 minutes into market open, a lot of flow points to the upside. That confirms our thesis that QCOM looks to go up. Second, we see that QCOM doesn’t drop below that lower support line. I’d probably exit at around 9 when we almost hit that resistance line. Better safe than sorry with these scalp profit plays.

ABBV

OUkpYtV.jpg

Above is a picture of the 5 minute chart for ABBV with some recent support and resistance lines drawn in. From the last few days of flow, I thought ABBV would go up on Friday. First thing we notice is ABBV pushes past previous resistance and it becomes support. Flow consistently comes up with a bullish thesis, keeping us in the play until we decide to exit and secure profit.

INTC

d1lUGMy.jpg

Above is a picture of the 5 minute chart for INTC with some recent support and resistance lines drawn in. From the last few days of flow, I thought INTC would go up on Friday. First thing we notice that INTC can't seem to break above that previous support line. INTC has lots of short term puts in the first 30 minutes of market open, and we'd probably want to get out at a loss after that first big drop at 7:00 PST. INTC doesn't move much the whole day.

We were right about CVS and wrong about WMT. The actions we would take on those are similar to those above.

Recap
Out of 7 on the watchlist, 6 made significant moves. We called 4 correctly beforehand, and the remaining 3 would be quickly corrected and exited at a small losses.

Attachments

• ujDAxdA.jpg
    ujDAxdA.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 169
  • FpDTs7P.jpg
    FpDTs7P.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 173
  • xyBJqYt.jpg
    xyBJqYt.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 158
  • OUkpYtV.jpg
    OUkpYtV.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 159
  • d1lUGMy.jpg
    d1lUGMy.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Steve, for posting the recaps. That was very useful to let the people know what we're working on. I hope to see some positive results as we continue to test this strategy.

Watchlist for Monday 11/11/2019

BYND
TGT
NVDA
GS
HD
CVX
COST
PG

We'll typically have lower volume in the market on a holiday, so keep that in mind when trading tomorrow.

Watchlist for Monday 11/11/2019

BYND
TGT
NVDA
GS
HD
CVX
COST
PG

We'll typically have lower volume in the market on a holiday, so keep that in mind when trading tomorrow.
Update on Monday's watchlist. We had 6/8 stocks on the list move significantly, but were only about 50% on calling the direction. We kept that part private because we want our accuracy to be better before we release that data beforehand.

Watchlist for Wednesday 11/13/2019

MU
IWM
TWLO
X
NVDA
LOW

FED talk tomorrow, keep your eye on that for a change in direction. Market could remain relatively flat until then.

When do you typically run the scan? Does the price action influences your decision to include the stock on watchlist or flow only?

When do you typically run the scan? Does the price action influences your decision to include the stock on watchlist or flow only?
I typically run the scan after market hours for the next day. My decision to include the stock on watchlist is directed mainly by flow. If there is significant flow to one side or another or both, there is an increased chance we'll see a decent move.

I'm not putting out a watchlist today because there is overnight news and futures are up significantly. There is an increased amount of volatility in the markets tomorrow. My recommendation is to pick 2-3 tickers that you're comfortable playing and watch them in relation to the market carefully. If you scalp, take profits earlier than you usually do.

Reactions: MBF
Watchlist for Friday 11/22/2019
MSFT
QCOM
SQ
TSLA
BYND
MA
You mentioned $TSLA as one of the movers for 11/22/2019. Indeed it made a 20$ move post the e-pickup truck. My question is what exactly had moved overnight to make you decide it is a moving ticker ? Was it unusual volume ? And if so, were u able to determine direction?

You mentioned $TSLA as one of the movers for 11/22/2019. Indeed it made a 20$ move post the e-pickup truck. My question is what exactly had moved overnight to make you decide it is a moving ticker ? Was it unusual volume ? And if so, were u able to determine direction?
Hi Cherif, it wasn't necessarily something that had moved overnight to make me decide that it was a moving ticker. I just look back at flow throughout the week and can see if there is a significant amount of action, which leads me to believe that there will be movement today. TSLA also had an event last night, which had pushed option interest this week into something interesting for today. We've tried to determine direction beforehand in the past, and have come up 50/50. The best way to determine direction is the day of and go from there.

Understood. In your opinion, was there any way to make notice of the dumping that occured to tesla today before hand?

Understood. In your opinion, was there any way to make notice of the dumping that occured to tesla today before hand?
Well have you seen the truck? :)
In all seriousness, its kind of a crapshoot either way. In Tesla's past, these types of events more often than not have ended with it going down after a release. But anything can happen, if the truck unveiled was above wall street's expectations, this stock could opened at $370. Hard to say with Tesla, but in general, I usually buy the hype and sell the news.

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J007RMC Watchlist column up/down volume Playground 1