Which strategy has netted you the most profit?

bspratt22

Not interested in P&L's. Someone who has taken $500 and grown that account to $5000 has outperformed someone who has taken $200K and grown to 300K. Don't need to hear numbers. Just simply state your bread and butter strategy what has worked for you the most consistently in your "good years". For me (conservative swing and daytrader) it is trendline breaks followed by support/resistance levels followed by 10:05 pullbacks. I will use others but those are my top 3. There is no judgement whether or not you use indicators (doesn't matter) as long as you have found something that is your go to strategy I'm sure many would like to hear.

It would be nice to hear from fellow traders. I can show you how to lose $35,000 in the last 6 months trying 30 somthing indicators and combinations there of. Reading at least 10 books and watching at least 100 youtube videos, not mention umpteen 1 hr seminars. This market is rough.
Hey Morris - been trading since just before 2000 dot com bubble; Don't be too hard on yourself - the last 6 mths have been the most challenging for many (ever) #1 rule risk management; do not enter a trade without a stop and go very small until you are consistent. Or papertrade. If you are patient when the stability returns to this market we all will do well! A good trader can have success with almost any strategy or indicators you need to find one that fits you. Force yourself to mark up at least 10 charts a night. And yes I agree it would be nice to hear from fellow traders!

My best strat is fibs. When I swing for the fences, I do poorly. When I trade measured moves on a handful of instruments that tend to move at particular times of the day, I do well banking smaller, more consistent profits. I am a big fan of Christopher84's Scalper. His strategy helps me to anticipate when price is likely to make a move at particular fib levels. Then I aim for targets based on structure and/or fibs. My trading day is usually 15-90 minutes. I can't stand watching charts all day. If my setup doesn't happen early, I'm content to take the rest of the day off.

@Morris, I know what it is to lose a bundle learning to trade. The best advice I ever got was to stop trying to trade everything and pick ONE instrument to watch and learn how it moves, when it moves, and then find a strategy to exploit those moves. I learned a lot by looking at the same instrument across multiple timeframes (e.g., a 5 min, 15 min, and daily chart plotted side by side). I also kept a journal of every trade. It was brutal looking at all my losses but it helped me craft a trading plan based on my strengths (and there weren't many, believe me!) I kept a spreadsheet of the indicators that worked and those that didn't. I took screenshots of entry and exit on every trade and looked for patterns in my wins/losses. It was a lot of work but it helped me figure out the bad habits that were causing me to lose and the aspects of trading that I needed to learn more about.

I read a lot too but finally realized that I don't have to be a price action expert. All I need to do is recognize one aspect of price movement that tends to repeat itself over and over. If I can recognize it when it happens, it doesn't matter too much what I can't recognize as long as I'm using good risk management.

Finally, please remember that you are trading against algos and institutions that can place hundreds of trades in the time it takes you to click your mouse. One thing I've found interesting lately is to plot the Williams go pro indicator. I don't use it for signals. I use it watch where retail trader sentiment is highest because once there is a lot of retail sentiment in one direction, the institutions tend to come in and flush them out. If I'm in a trade that is aligned with strong retail sentiment, I tighten my stops or get out if I have a good profit.

Best wishes and happy trading.

@Morris @bspratt22 If you'd like to see a real world trading strategy that works, you may want to consider reading VIRT's ipo and disclosure documents. Lots of small gains really do add up.

VIRT is the symbol for Virtu Financial. Their docs show their strategies, philosophy etc,

Last edited by a moderator:
I could write pages on this subject but i´ll try to summarize what has been working well for me in the past years and still in present time. I am not a swing trader so i only look for intraday opportunities and i also avoid scalping because i have found that it doesn´t fit my personality + the fees will eat too much of the profit. So my style is catching the 2 or 3 bigger intraday waves in stocks that trades high volume and has momentum and ride the trend as long as possible using scaling techniques to maximize return.

As for strats and systems, i try to keep everything as simple as i possibly can. But a few things i work with everyday are fibs, volume, divergences & tape/orderflow. I want my charts as clean as possible because too much information will only add confusion IMO and the thing i constantly i ask myself, who is REALLY in control, buyers or sellers and where do i find an imbalance between supply/demand. Volume will always be king for me and if there was one indicator which I could not be without, it would be this one. Analyzing volume in the right way will give you a huge edge in the markets and it´s what 90% of my buying/selling decisions are based off.

A lot can be said about fibs and i know many traders dislike them and think they are worthless but for me, they are a big part of my strats because they work and the big hand traders like tuts, funds. etc all use them. Basically, the way i use them is i wait for price to slowly start consolidating near a retracement level and if other signals confirms, for example bullish divergence in a long setup, i will use that fib as my risk level to scale in around there.

Having a good trading system with high winrate is one thing but if you´re still not able to find consistency & profitability, it´s more than likely related to bad risk management or a complete lack of it. This is something i had to learn the hard way myself in the first 2 years of trading when i couldn´t find a way to keep the profits i made so all my focus after that was pointed towards how to work with risk. Once you figure this out, things will get so much easier especially if your strat/system has an edge.

Also want to take the opportunity to thank all the great members in here that build and share all these amazing tools & indicators for us, all for free. It´s something i forget sometimes and just want to show my appreciation to all of you. I think it´s a big misconception nowadays that you need some super advanced expensive trading system in order to be successful in trading but that's really as far from the truth you can get. My whole system is built with the tools provided from this site so it´s all about picking what you like, backtest it like crazy and then stick with it!

Happy trading!

mod note:
This thread subject is the sharing of our favorite profitable charts and strategies.
Discussion on the commiseration of our losing strategies and / or all other subjects need to be posted in a separate thread.
Your cooperation in keeping threads on-track is appreciated.

Last edited:
I could write pages on this subject but i´ll try to summarize what has been working well for me in the past years and still in present time. I am not a swing trader so i only look for intraday opportunities and i also avoid scalping because i have found that it doesn´t fit my personality + the fees will eat too much of the profit. So my style is catching the 2 or 3 bigger intraday waves in stocks that trades high volume and has momentum and ride the trend as long as possible using scaling techniques to maximize return.

As for strats and systems, i try to keep everything as simple as i possibly can. But a few things i work with everyday are fibs, volume, divergences & tape/orderflow. I want my charts as clean as possible because too much information will only add confusion IMO and the thing i constantly i ask myself, who is REALLY in control, buyers or sellers and where do i find an imbalance between supply/demand. Volume will always be king for me and if there was one indicator which I could not be without, it would be this one. Analyzing volume in the right way will give you a huge edge in the markets and it´s what 90% of my buying/selling decisions are based off.

A lot can be said about fibs and i know many traders dislike them and think they are worthless but for me, they are a big part of my strats because they work and the big hand traders like tuts, funds. etc all use them. Basically, the way i use them is i wait for price to slowly start consolidating near a retracement level and if other signals confirms, for example bullish divergence in a long setup, i will use that fib as my risk level to scale in around there.

Having a good trading system with high winrate is one thing but if you´re still not able to find consistency & profitability, it´s more than likely related to bad risk management or a complete lack of it. This is something i had to learn the hard way myself in the first 2 years of trading when i couldn´t find a way to keep the profits i made so all my focus after that was pointed towards how to work with risk. Once you figure this out, things will get so much easier especially if your strat/system has an edge.

Also want to take the opportunity to thank all the great members in here that build and share all these amazing tools & indicators for us, all for free. It´s something i forget sometimes and just want to show my appreciation to all of you. I think it´s a big misconception nowadays that you need some super advanced expensive trading system in order to be successful in trading but that's really as far from the truth you can get. My whole system is built with the tools provided from this site so it´s all about picking what you like, backtest it like crazy and then stick with it!

Happy trading!
What is the best way you have found to analyze volume?

What is the best way you have found to analyze volume?

Exhaustion, divergences, anomalies, soaking/absorption and imbalances. I also recommend reading the book "a complete guide to volume price analysis" by Anna Coulling which is very good start for volume analysis.

Last edited:

Happy trading!
You've shared your thoughts on learning volume, any tips you can share on how you learned better risk management? Cheers.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.