Whats wrong with this code? The value of High1 is zero?

Ray503

input length = 5;

def Close0 = close[0];
def Close1 = close[1];
def Close2 = close[2];
def Close3 = close[3];
def Close4 = close[4];
def Close5 = close[5];
def Close6 = close[6];
def Close7 = close[7];

def inc0 = Close0 - Close1;
def inc1 = Close1 - Close2;
def inc2 = Close2 - Close3;
def inc3 = Close3 - Close4;
def inc4 = Close4 - Close5;
def inc5 = Close5 - Close6;
def inc6 = Close6 - Close7;

def High1 = if inc1 > inc2 then High1 == inc1 else High1 == inc2;

plot UpperLevel = High1;

@Ray503 Could you please post what you're want to do with this code? Just glancing at it, there looks to be a few things wrong, including that there is a length input that is not being used anywhere in the code.

@Ray503 I put this code together. I'm not 100% certain that its what you're looking for, but it might give you an idea or two.

Code:
declare lower;

input n = 10;

def l = low(period = "day");
def h = high(period = "day");
def lo = lowest(l, n);
def hi = highest(h, n);

plot dif = hi - lo;

Thank you but no thats not what I'm looking for I looking to take the closes of the last 10 days. Subtract the current day close I previous day close do this for the last 10 days then get the highest Range (differance) and the lowest.

You will need to use code similar to whats below to get Arrows to paint at the close.

Code:
def vCloseClose = absValue(close-close[1]);

def x = Highest(vcloseclose, 10);
def a = lowest(vCloseClose,10);

def z = if(absValue(close - close[1])) ==a then 1 else double.nan;
def y = if (absvalue(close - close[1])) == x then 1 else double.nan;

#plots

plot py = y;
plot pz = z;

#Plot Styles

py.setpaintingstrategy(paintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
py.setlineWeight(3);

pz.setpaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
pz.setlineweight(3);

Thanks but that's not even close to what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to Subtract yesterday close from todays close, for the last 10 days. Then get the highest of those results and the lowest.

This code draws horizontal lines in a lower study. Red is lowest value and Green is highest value.

Code:
Declare lower;

# Definitions

def vCloseClose = absValue(close-close[1]);

def x = Highest(vcloseclose, 10);
def a = lowest(vCloseClose,10);

#plots

plot Plowest = a;
plot PHighest = x;

#Plot Styles

plowest.setpaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
Phighest.setpaintingStrategy(paintingstrategy.horIZONTAL);

Plowest.setdefaultColor(color.red);
phighest.setdefaultColor(color.green);

Like try to make this simple

def High1 = if inc1 > inc2 then High1 == inc1 else High1 == inc2

plot UpperLevel = High1

When I run this code High1 is 0 or blank. Yes I double checked inc1 and inc2 has the correct data. Is there a problem with my code? or is there a bug in think or swim which is what I read. Is there another way to do this as a work around?

This line of code is wrong:
Ruby:

The double equal sign "==" is not for assigning a value to a variable. It is used as a comparison. It means, "Is the value on the left of == the same as the value on the right?" So, here's what your code is really doing.

If inc1 is greater than inc2 then check to see if the value of High1 is the same as the value of inc1 if it is then assign a value of 1 (true). If it isn't the same then assign a value of 0 (false). Otherwise (if inc1 is not greater than inc2) then check to see if the value of High1 is the same as the value of inc2 if it is then assign a value of 1 (true). If it isn't the same then assign a value of 0 (false).

Since High1 doesn't have a value yet (it is just in process of being defined) then it will never be the same as inc1 or inc2 and will always return as 0 (false).

It should be re-written to:
Ruby:
def High1 = if inc1 > inc2 then inc1 else inc2;

Now, changing that line of code only fixes the semantics of that line. It still doesn't accomplish what you say you are trying to do which is find the highest / lowest change in price over the past 10 days. Here's how you would accomplish that.

Ruby:
input length = 10;
def net_change = close - close[1];
def highest_change = highest(net_change, length);
def lowest_change = lowest(net_change, length);

nxA4DLw.png

Last edited:
Thank you OBW for such a great explanation on that bit of code and explaining how it works in everyday English. I wish more 'guides' on thinkscript were as easy to understand as what you have just written. If the Thinkorswim Learning Center was written more this way then I believe I would have a much better grasp on coding. Would be helpful for those of us beginners learning to program our thinkscripts. (y)

Reactions: OBW
def TP = 100;
def TP2 = 50;
def TP3 = 25;

plot UpperLevel = highest_change;

plot LowerLevel = lowest_change;

plot rangeBands = highest_change - lowest_change;

// Not sure how to do this statement, I just want to add 100 to the close then if rangeBands are < 500 but > 200 TP2+Close but if rangeBands are < 200 then TP3+Close

if rangeBands > 500 then TP = TP+Close else

This line of code is wrong:
Ruby:

The double equal sign "==" is not for assigning a value to a variable. It is used as a comparison. It means, "Is the value on the left of == the same as the value on the right?" So, here's what your code is really doing.

If inc1 is greater than inc2 then check to see if the value of High1 is the same as the value of inc1 if it is then assign a value of 1 (true). If it isn't the same then assign a value of 0 (false). Otherwise (if inc1 is not greater than inc2) then check to see if the value of High1 is the same as the value of inc2 if it is then assign a value of 1 (true). If it isn't the same then assign a value of 0 (false).

Since High1 doesn't have a value yet (it is just in process of being defined) then it will never be the same as inc1 or inc2 and will always return as 0 (false).

It should be re-written to:
Ruby:
def High1 = if inc1 > inc2 then inc1 else inc2;

Now, changing that line of code only fixes the semantics of that line. It still doesn't accomplish what you say you are trying to do which is find the highest / lowest change in price over the past 10 days. Here's how you would accomplish that.

Ruby:
input length = 10;
def net_change = close - close[1];
def highest_change = highest(net_change, length);
def lowest_change = lowest(net_change, length);

nxA4DLw.png
def TP = 100;
def TP2 = 50;
def TP3 = 25;

plot UpperLevel = highest_change;

plot LowerLevel = lowest_change;

plot rangeBands = highest_change - lowest_change;

// Not sure how to do this statement, I just want to add 100 to the close then if rangeBands are < 500 but > 200 TP2+Close but if rangeBands are < 200 then TP3+Close

if rangeBands > 500 then TP = TP+Close else

How do I do this?

if rangeBands > 500 then TP = TP+Close

if rangeBands < 500 then TP = TP1+Close

if rangeBands <500 and rangeBands > 200 then TP = TP2+Close

Ruby

Can you please help?

How do I do this?

if rangeBands > 500 then TP = TP+Close

if rangeBands < 500 then TP = TP1+Close

if rangeBands <500 and rangeBands > 200 then TP = TP2+Close

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.