Volume Label

BigScalp

Since I use split screens for my charts and sometimes I can't see the volume unless I move the cursor up to the "floating" stock information, I'm looking for a Volume label for the top of my charts that shows the changing volume number for a 5M chart. I'm not looking for a volume indicator to install.

I don't use any volume indicator...try not to clutter my charts. The only volume information is on the stock "floating" information. The stock "floating" information I refer to is the information at the top of any chart which shows the date, time, open, high, low & close for each candle...including volume.

Again, sometimes the volume information gets cut off because I use split screens for multiple charts. I refer "cut off" because throughout the day while the "floating" stock information changes, the information shows longer and thus "cuts off" the volume information where the only way I can see it is to move my cursor over the "floating" stock information.

I literally just need a "volume" label that is always visible for any chart without having to put an actual volume indicator just to see the fluctuating number...or move the cursor over the "floating" stock information. I hope I've explained this clear enough to understand. It really seems like something that's very easy to do...if you have knowledge of coding. I literally just joined a few days ago and have seen multiple post with pictures with multiple labels at the top of their charts.

Last edited:
Solution
What timeframe are you watching on? I'll load up ToS later this weekend and have a look.
Mashume, I've done it tweaking a bit your original script: This is the final product:

def vol5 = if SecondsFromTime(0930) [1] <0 and SecondsFromTime(0930) >= 0 then volume(period = AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN) else vol5[1];

def vol15 = if SecondsFromTime(0930) [1] < 0 and SecondsFromTime(0930) >= 0 then volume(period = AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN) else vol15[1];

AddLabel (yes, "1st 5 vol: " + vol5 , (if vol5 >= 1000000 then Color.GREEN else Color.RED));

AddLabel (yes, "1st 15 vol: " + vol15 , (if vol15 >= 5000000 then Color.GREEN else Color.RED));

Thank you so much!

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Wait, really, that's it?

Code:
AddLabel(yes,volume,color.gray);

You can usually copy and paste code this simple right out of the reference:

https://tlc.thinkpipes.com/center/charting/thinkscript/reference/Functions/Look---Feel/AddLabel.html

Unfortunately, there is no parameter for the text color. Black is unreadable, at least on my screen.

Obviously, you can change it to Color.Black if you want to though.
@Joshua Yes, and thank you for your time. The number will fluctuate throughout the time period of that particular candle, correct?

I would like to create 2 labels to ease and speed decision making during trading: volume of the first 5 minute bar at the open and volume of the first 15 minute bar at the open. Ideally the labels would change colors after reaching an absolute number of 1 million shares traded on the first 5 minute candle and 5 million shares traded on the 15 minute. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Sure.
Code:
declare upper;
def vol5 = if secondsFromTime(0930) > 0 and secondsFromTime(0930)[1] < 0 then VOLUME(period = AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN) else vol5[1];
def vol15 = if secondsFromTime(0930) > 0 and secondsFromTime(0930)[1] < 0 then VOLUME(period = AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN) else vol5[1];
addLabel(yes, "Volume 1st 5 min candle: " + vol5, color.gray);
addLabel(yes, "Volume 1st 15 min candle: " + vol15, color.gray);
or something like that. I don't have ToS open at the moment, but that should be close.

-mashume

Sure.
Code:
declare upper;
def vol5 = if secondsFromTime(0930) > 0 and secondsFromTime(0930)[1] < 0 then VOLUME(period = AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN) else vol5[1];
def vol15 = if secondsFromTime(0930) > 0 and secondsFromTime(0930)[1] < 0 then VOLUME(period = AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN) else vol5[1];
addLabel(yes, "Volume 1st 5 min candle: " + vol5, color.gray);
addLabel(yes, "Volume 1st 15 min candle: " + vol15, color.gray);
or something like that. I don't have ToS open at the moment, but that should be close.

-mashume
The labels show but they read "0"

What timeframe are you watching on? I'll load up ToS later this weekend and have a look.
Mashume, I've done it tweaking a bit your original script: This is the final product:

def vol5 = if SecondsFromTime(0930) [1] <0 and SecondsFromTime(0930) >= 0 then volume(period = AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN) else vol5[1];

def vol15 = if SecondsFromTime(0930) [1] < 0 and SecondsFromTime(0930) >= 0 then volume(period = AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN) else vol15[1];

AddLabel (yes, "1st 5 vol: " + vol5 , (if vol5 >= 1000000 then Color.GREEN else Color.RED));

AddLabel (yes, "1st 15 vol: " + vol15 , (if vol15 >= 5000000 then Color.GREEN else Color.RED));

Thank you so much!

Solution