Triggering conditions only when previous condition has been met any number of bars before

apaul015

I'm trying to code short and cover signals based on a break of the Pre-market Lows, basically short when a candle closes below PM low and cover when a candle closes above the 9 EMA.

I'm having trouble writing a script that only triggers the Cover signal when a Short signal has been "true" in the last "x" amount of bars. For example, I'd have a Short signal, then a Cover signal, but then another Cover signal right after without there being a Short signal. I'm basically trying to say that once there is a Short Signal, I'm in an active position, and I can only Cover when there's an active position.

Can anyone help me out? I'm thinking I need to use fold, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Here's what I'm working with right now:

def sc1 = close < PMLow;
def sc2 = close[1] >= PMLow;

def short = sc1 and sc2;

def cc1 = open[1] < PMLow;
def cc1 = close > ema
or close > high[1]
or close > PMLow
or SecondsTillTime(1550) == 0;

def cover = cc1 and cc2;

The problem is my cc1 condition. The Cover triggers for the first Short, but then it would immediately Cover again if Price is waaaay below the PM Low.

Last edited:
@apaul015
See if this works for you.
Ruby:
def sc1 = close < PMLow and close[1] >= PMLow;
def cc1 = open[1] < PMLow and (close > ema or close > high[1] or close > PMLow or SecondsTillTime(1550) == 0);

def short;
def cover;

if sc1 {
short = yes;
cover = Double.NaN;
} else if short[1] and cc1 {
short = Double.NaN;
cover = yes;
}else{
short = short[1];
cover = cover[1];
}

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

@apaul015
See if this works for you.
Ruby:
def sc1 = close < PMLow and close[1] >= PMLow;
def cc1 = open[1] < PMLow and (close > ema or close > high[1] or close > PMLow or SecondsTillTime(1550) == 0);

def short;
def cover;

if sc1 {
short = yes;
cover = Double.NaN;
short = Double.NaN;
cover = yes;
}else{
short = short[1];
cover = cover[1];
}

@Svanoy

Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately doesn't work for me. Would you mind explaining your thought process for this? I feel like it's really close.
I'm still getting a double cover because my cover conditions are still true, but my short conditions are dependent on a candle close below the PM Low after opening above. Still thinking through how to adjust this.

Sorry, I'm still relatively new to coding so it takes me a while to conceptualize things.

@Svanoy

Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately doesn't work for me. Would you mind explaining your thought process for this? I feel like it's really close.
I'm still getting a double cover because my cover conditions are still true, but my short conditions are dependent on a candle close below the PM Low after opening above. Still thinking through how to adjust this.

Sorry, I'm still relatively new to coding so it takes me a while to conceptualize things.

@Svanoy

I think the problem is my cover conditions and there's too much "or" statements, so it can give a signal to cover up to three times within the same candle! I'm thinking how to rework this, but if you have any ideas I'd appreciate it.

My code above carries the value of the short variable to signal that a position is open and cannot trigger a close without 'short' being true.
I'm still getting a double cover because my cover conditions are still true,
I have a feeling your original post is not your complete code.
What does your code for triggering the cover signal look like?

The biggest issues right off are
1. Your sc1 condition of close<PMLow. This could trigger mulitple times during a candle and then at the close of the candle, close could end up being above PMLow.

2. Your close condition should be using high instead of close.

Last edited:
You could also break up your close conditions and use an order line for each.
Ruby:
def sc1 = close[1] < APLow and close[2] >= APLow;
def cc1 = open[1] < APLow and high > ema;
def cc2 = open[1] < APLow and high > high[1];
def cc3 = open[1] < APLow and high > APLow;
def cc4 = open[1] < APLow and SecondsTillTime(1550) == 0;

def short;
def cover1;
def cover2;
def cover3;
def cover4;

if sc1 {
    short = yes;
    cover1 = Double.NaN;
    cover2 = Double.NaN;
    cover3 = Double.NaN;
    cover4 = Double.NaN;
    short = Double.NaN;
    cover1 = yes;
    cover2 = Double.NaN;
    cover3 = Double.NaN;
    cover4 = Double.NaN;
} else if short[1] and cc2 {
    short = Double.NaN;
    cover1 = Double.NaN;
    cover2 = yes;
    cover3 = Double.NaN;
    cover4 = Double.NaN;
} else if short[1] and cc3 {
    short = Double.NaN;
    cover1 = Double.NaN;
    cover2 = Double.NaN;
    cover3 = yes;
    cover4 = Double.NaN;
} else if short[1] and cc4 {
    short = Double.NaN;
    cover1 = Double.NaN;
    cover2 = Double.NaN;
    cover3 = Double.NaN;
    cover4 = yes;
} else {
    short = short[1];
    cover1 = cover1[1];
    cover2 = cover2[1];
    cover3 = cover3[1];
    cover4 = cover4[1];
}

AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_TO_OPEN, condition = short, price = open, tradeSize = 1, tickcolor = Color.WHITE, arrowcolor = Color.WHITE,"");
AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_CLOSE, condition = cover1, price = ema, tradeSize = 1, tickcolor = Color.WHITE, arrowcolor = Color.WHITE,"");
AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_CLOSE, condition = cover2, price = high[1], tradeSize = 1, tickcolor = Color.WHITE, arrowcolor = Color.WHITE,"");
AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_CLOSE, condition = cover3, price = APLow, tradeSize = 1, tickcolor = Color.WHITE, arrowcolor = Color.WHITE,"");
AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_CLOSE, condition = cover4, price = close, tradeSize = 1, tickcolor = Color.WHITE, arrowcolor = Color.WHITE,"");

L8tXrdf.png

So I'm actually using this as a greater backtest I'm using with Strategies on a 5 min chart. I think since I'm looking at past data, the close<PMLow condition should be okay, right?

I'm trying to see my profitability based on different cover conditions.
I've been working on this all day so it's been revised a bit, but here's the code I'm working with right now.
I divided the conditions for the short and cover just so I could see it better for myself. For the cover conditions, I want it to trigger if cc1 and cc2 is true with any of the following of cc3 through cc6. The problem is that if any combination of cc3 through cc6 is valid, then it'll trigger twice.

def markethours = GetTime() > RegularTradingStart(GetYYYYMMDD()) and SecondsTillTime(1545) > 0;

def EOD = today and SecondsFromTime(1350) > 0;
def opr = SecondsFromTime(0930) >= 0 and SecondsTillTime(0935) > 0;

## SHORT CONDITIONS ##

def sc1 = markethours;
def sc2 = close < PMLow;
def sc3 = if opr then open > PMLow else if !opr then close[1] >= PMLow else Double.NaN;

## COVER CONDITIONS ##
def cc1 = markethours;
def cc2 = open[1] < PMLow;
def cc3 = close > ema;
def cc4 = close > high[1];
def cc5 = close > PMLow;
def cc6 = SecondsTillTime(1550) == 0;

def short;
def cover;

if sc1 and sc2 and sc3 {
short = yes;
cover = double.nan;
} else if (short[1] and cc1 and cc2) or cc3 or cc4 or cc5 or cc6 {
short = double.nan;
cover = yes;
}else{
short = short[1];
cover = cover[1];
}

You could also break up your close conditions and use an order line for each.
Ruby:
def sc1 = close[1] < APLow and close[2] >= APLow;
def cc1 = open[1] < APLow and high > ema;
def cc2 = open[1] < APLow and high > high[1];
def cc3 = open[1] < APLow and high > APLow;
def cc4 = open[1] < APLow and SecondsTillTime(1550) == 0;

def short;
def cover1;
def cover2;
def cover3;
def cover4;

if sc1 {
    short = yes;
    cover1 = Double.NaN;
    cover2 = Double.NaN;
    cover3 = Double.NaN;
    cover4 = Double.NaN;
    short = Double.NaN;
    cover1 = yes;
    cover2 = Double.NaN;
    cover3 = Double.NaN;
    cover4 = Double.NaN;
} else if short[1] and cc2 {
    short = Double.NaN;
    cover1 = Double.NaN;
    cover2 = yes;
    cover3 = Double.NaN;
    cover4 = Double.NaN;
} else if short[1] and cc3 {
    short = Double.NaN;
    cover1 = Double.NaN;
    cover2 = Double.NaN;
    cover3 = yes;
    cover4 = Double.NaN;
} else if short[1] and cc4 {
    short = Double.NaN;
    cover1 = Double.NaN;
    cover2 = Double.NaN;
    cover3 = Double.NaN;
    cover4 = yes;
} else {
    short = short[1];
    cover1 = cover1[1];
    cover2 = cover2[1];
    cover3 = cover3[1];
    cover4 = cover4[1];
}

AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_TO_OPEN, condition = short, price = open, tradeSize = 1, tickcolor = Color.WHITE, arrowcolor = Color.WHITE,"");
AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_CLOSE, condition = cover1, price = ema, tradeSize = 1, tickcolor = Color.WHITE, arrowcolor = Color.WHITE,"");
AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_CLOSE, condition = cover2, price = high[1], tradeSize = 1, tickcolor = Color.WHITE, arrowcolor = Color.WHITE,"");
AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_CLOSE, condition = cover3, price = APLow, tradeSize = 1, tickcolor = Color.WHITE, arrowcolor = Color.WHITE,"");
AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_TO_CLOSE, condition = cover4, price = close, tradeSize = 1, tickcolor = Color.WHITE, arrowcolor = Color.WHITE,"");

L8tXrdf.png

Didn't see you post this before I replied, I'll take a look! This might work a lot better.

@apaul015
So I'm actually using this as a greater backtest I'm using with Strategies on a 5 min chart. I think since I'm looking at past data, the close<PMLow condition should be okay, right?
It's ok'ish for backtesting only, but not good practice.

} else if (short[1] and cc1 and cc2) or cc3 or cc4 or cc5 or cc6 {
The parentheses is line make it true during 5 different instances:
1. short[1] and cc1 and cc2 all being true.
2. cc3 being true on its own.
3. cc4 being true on its own.
4. cc5 being true on its own.
5. cc6 being true on its own.

I want it to trigger if cc1 and cc2 is true with any of the following
Lets make this a condition of it own just for ease of writing the code.
Ruby:
def ccMain = short[1] and cc1 and cc2;
We can now define each close condition easier.
Ruby:
} else ccMain and (cc3 or cc4 or cc5 or cc6) {
Now, if either cc3, cc4, cc5, or cc6 are true, ccMain has to be true as well for the line of code to return true.

You will still need to use a different order lines to close the position as the prices at which the position closes are different depending on which condition is triggered.

@apaul015

It's ok'ish for backtesting only, but not good practice.

The parentheses is line make it true during 5 different instances:
1. short[1] and cc1 and cc2 all being true.
2. cc3 being true on its own.
3. cc4 being true on its own.
4. cc5 being true on its own.
5. cc6 being true on its own.

Lets make this a condition of it own just for ease of writing the code.
Ruby:
def ccMain = short[1] and cc1 and cc2;
We can now define each close condition easier.
Ruby:
} else ccMain and (cc3 or cc4 or cc5 or cc6) {
Now, if either cc3, cc4, cc5, or cc6 are true, ccMain has to be true as well for the line of code to return true.

You will still need to use a different order lines to close the position as the prices at which the position closes are different depending on which condition is triggered.

I actually tweaked it the way you posted earlier about breaking it up, and it works the way I intended! Really appreciate it, I learned a lot!