Todays 15 minute bar HL2 closes below displaced SMA from daily bars

trader11

Todays 15 minute bar HL2 closes below displaced SMA from daily bar data? I know how to do it with daily bars closing price crossing below the displaced daily SMA, but not for 15 minute bars, which gives a timely signal

Solution
typos

Code:
declare upper;
input SMALength = 12;
input Displace = 3;
def FifteenMin_HL2 = HL2(period = AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN);
def Day_CLOSE = close(period = AggregationPeriod.DAY);
def Day_SMA = SimpleMovingAvg(price = Day_Close, length = SMALength, displace = Displace);
plot enter = if FifteenMin_HL2 crosses above Day_SMA then LOW else double.nan;
plot exit = if FifteenMin_HL2 crosses below Day_SMA then HIGH else double.nan;
enter.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy = PaintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);
exit.setPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_DOWN);
This might work. It's always good practice to be as verbose in your code as you need to be. I like to go step by step rather than try to pack it all into a single line.

Be warned, I typed this into the posting-editor here at useToS, not into ToS, so there may be typos. Adjust your SMALength and Displacement according to your needs.

From the ToS docs concerning SimpleMovingAvg():
Displacement: The displacement of the SMA study, in bars. Positive values signify backward displacement.

Code:
declare upper;
input SMALength = 12;
input Displace = 3;
def FifteenMin_HL2 = HL2(AggregationPeriod=FIFTEEN_MIN);
def Day_CLOSE = CLOSE(AggregationPeriod=DAY);
def Day_SMA = SimpleMovingAvg(price = Day_Close, length = SMALength, displace = Displace);
enter.setPaintingStrategy(PaintingStragegy.ARROW_UP);

Happy Trading,
mashume

Hey I didnt see your post. I see what youre trying to do but TOS aint having it
It gives me back this :

def FifteenMin_HL2 = HL2(AggregationPeriod=FIFTEEN_MIN);
def Day_CLOSE = CLOSE(AggregationPeriod=DAY);

no such parameter aggregationperiod at 4:22
no such parameter aggregationperiod at 5:17

guessing it dont like these two time periods mixing
aint i dont need paint bars

i want to catch intraday move (from a close of a15 minute bar) that goes below a displaced daily SMA. Anyone>? is this too much >?

Last edited by a moderator:
typos

Code:
declare upper;
input SMALength = 12;
input Displace = 3;
def FifteenMin_HL2 = HL2(period = AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN);
def Day_CLOSE = close(period = AggregationPeriod.DAY);
enter.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy = PaintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);

Solution
Hi Mashume,
Again, my dumbass didnt see your post, I apologize !! Thank you for your esteemed feedback on the code, I am getting an error "Exactly one plot expected".
Also, is this to be used as a custom scan? I legitimately only want the code to check for when 15 minute bars close below the displaced moving average.
And I wont be charting so idk what paint bars is all about,

Thanks for your feedback
I will turn on notifications in case you respond again!

also btw, it doesnt like secondary period again.
"secondary period not allowed 15 min"
this is when I erase plot exit and exit painting strat code
The ToS platform does not allow multiple timeframes to be used in the scan hacker, watchlists, conditional orders, etc...
This code is only for plotting on a chart.

Then how can I know when an sma is crossed by price within an intraday framework?
thanks
Not sure that I understand your question. The ToS platform does not provide the ability to scan for daily SMA crossed by 15 min price.
Multiple timeframes can not be used in scans, watchlists or conditional orders. Your script can only be plotted on a chart. If you leave the chart open, you could set up an alert.
https://usethinkscript.com/resources/how-to-add-alert-script-to-thinkorswim-indicators.9/

FYI: The scanner works fine as long as you are scanning for a 15 min SMA crossed by 15min price. Just use the built-in functions. No custom script is required.

Last edited:
Not sure that I understand your question. The ToS platform does not provide the ability to scan for daily SMA crossed by 15 min price.
Multiple timeframes can not be used in scans, watchlists or conditional orders. Your script can only be plotted on a chart. If you leave the chart open, you could set up an alert.
https://usethinkscript.com/resources/how-to-add-alert-script-to-thinkorswim-indicators.9/

FYI: The scanner works fine as long as you are scanning for a 15 min SMA crossed by 15min price. Just use the built-in functions. No custom script is required.
Then the only way would be to displace the 15 Min EMA to be synchronous with the Daily displacement, something like a -350 displacement on a 15 minute Globex chart. Problem is Id have to figure out the value for RTH stocks

Annnndd the value Id need to input into the scan would change each day, admittedly it would work, but wow.. is there another platform that supports this scan with two time frames?
😄

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.