ThinkScript Averaging-In Strategy

sffc

Can someone please advise or provide an example of how to average-in for back testing a strategy? For example, if a stock remains oversold for three days in a row, I am trying to find a way for the strategy to buy more shares the two additional days to get a lower cost basis and then my sell condition sells the accrued long quantity. I would include an image for reference, but it doesn't like the URLs when I try to insert an image from the tool bar. Thanks in advance for any input.

@sffc Welcome to the usethinkscript forums...

Your request is somewhat subjective and potentially beyond the limitations of Thinkorswims somewhat inadequate Strategy backtesting using AddOrder()... In all honesty, you will never get results as good as manually calculating your backtest ideas... While you might be able to code a Strategy in this fashion, with a lot of time, effort, and frustration, I highly doubt the results would be what you anticipate... With proper settings you can add to your position in Strategies but any Sell order liquidates the entire position regardless of your held quantity... The backtesting capabilities simply aren't designed for complex logic... They are, instead, merely meant to prove whether very basic logic is somewhat sound... Buys and Sells will never happen exactly when you want them to which further skews results... I share all of this after many many frustrating attempts to bend the limitations to my will...

All that said, while I wish I had a rosier outlook to share, I'd rather give the advice you need to hear rather than what you might want to hear... You're more than welcome to prove myself and others wrong but I find the prospect doubtful...

Good luck and, again, welcome...

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Thanks, @rad14733 . Hey, that's good advice either way. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole if it's going to take that much heart ache and grief!

Is there potentially a rosier outlook that you can think of confirming that liquidating the entire position is what I want to accomplish?

"With proper settings you can add to your position in Strategies but any Sell order liquidates the entire position regardless of your held quantity"

I'm using Connors RSI in this particular instance with 60/40. When I average-in over 'x' number of days, I have the full position sold if overBought > 60 and close > entryPrice(); (in this case it would be my three days of average-in cost basis) and then I re-invest those funds into a different overSold equity.

So it functions the way I need to, but I was hoping to see that in the back testing reports if possible. If there's not a good way to do this, that's fine too. I'll take your experiences at face value and just stick with the back testing report's limitations : )

Last edited:
@sffc Do you have a working Strategy at this point and, if so, what do the reports show for success rate...??? Like I stated, members have noted that any Sell order liquidates an entire position, which sounds like what you want anyway... There just isn't any way to scale out of Strategy trades... While such a feature might be nice, considering how AddOrder() is for backtesting only, I'm sure they platform coding staff have more important things to do than refine AddOrder()...

Also, is this concept something you intend to trade manually or are you considering adapting it to Conditional Trade Orders which can also suffer from logic complexities...???

@rad14733 - Correct, looking for a method to average-in for a strategy over multiple oversold days, and then liquidate (which to your point that's what it indeed does today) the full position when the equity goes back to overbought to get the final trade results for historical comparison across other equities. I am not seeing or finding a good way to implement averaging-in over two or more consecutive trades using ThinkScript in a strategy.

It depends on the stock, its volatility, and the oversold/overbought values specified. I also wrote a stop loss condition for my use with the strategy, so the risk tolerance is also a variable that can effect its results +/-. Just something to play with until you find something that works for your trading style, I suppose.

I was using this to sell via conditional orders in ThinkorSwim, so it works fine for that as long as it doesn't matter to one that it can execute the sell any time during the day when it spikes above the specified overbought value and then ends the day below the overbought value. Here is the strategy I'm referring to if you wanted to back test the results for yourself -

Code:
#Connors RSI https://www.tradingmarkets.com/media/2012/CRHS.pdf?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonvavLZKXonjHpfsX57%2BosW6%2Bg38431UFwdcjKPmjr1YIGTsZ0dvycMRAVFZl5nRhQH%2BOaco5P6OZaGU6nSA%3D%3D
input size = 1000;
input riskTolerance = 0.1;

#risk management
def tradeSize = (size / close);
def costBasis = tradeSize * EntryPrice();
def difference = costBasis * riskTolerance;
def maxLoss = costBasis - difference;
def stopLoss = (tradeSize * close) < maxLoss;

input rsiLength = 3;
input overBought = 70;
input overSold = 30;
input price = close;
input averageType = AverageType.WILDERS;

def uptrend = close > MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE, close, 200);

# ConnorsRSI Indicator
input Price_RSI_Period = 3;
input Streak_RSI_Period = 2;
input Rank_Lookback = 100;

# Component 1: the RSI of closing price
#RSI(Close,3)
def priceRSI = reference RSI("price" = close, "length" = Price_RSI_Period, averageType = averageType);

# Component 2: the RSI of the streak
def upDay = if close > close[1] then 1 else 0;
def downDay = if close < close[1] then -1 else 0;
def upStreak = if upDay != 0 then upStreak[1] + upDay else 0;
def downStreak = if downDay != 0 then downStreak[1] + downDay else 0;
def streak = upStreak + downStreak;
def streakRSI = reference RSI("price" = streak, "length" = Streak_RSI_Period);

# Component 3: The percent rank of the current return
def ROC1 = close / close[1] - 1;
def rank = fold i = 1 to Rank_Lookback + 1 with r = 0 do
r + (GetValue(ROC1, i, Rank_Lookback) < ROC1) ;
def pctRank = (rank / Rank_Lookback) * 100 ;

# The final ConnorsRSI calculation, combining the three components
def ConnorsRSI = (priceRSI + streakRSI + pctRank) / 3;

#def buy = uptrend and connorsRsi < overSold;
def buy = connorsRsi < overSold;
def sell = close > EntryPrice() and connorsRsi > overBought;

AddOrder(OrderType.BUY_AUTO, buy[-1], close[-1], tradeSize = tradeSize, name = "oversold", Color.orange);

AddOrder(OrderType.SELL_TO_CLOSE, stopLoss or sell[-1], close[-1], tickcolor = color.white, arrowcolor = color.white, name = "overbought");

Last edited:
I am not seeing or finding a good way to implement averaging-in over two or more consecutive trades using ThinkScript in a strategy.

When you edit studies, look in the lower left, and find "Global Strategy Settings, then, you can choose the number of entry orders that trigger.
This should meet the requirement. (It's been a while since posted, but this might help the next person with the same query.)

MJKBZES.png

CxalKED.png