ThinkOrSwim petition to implement some changes or functions we want to see?

I've contacted TOS support several times about having more data retrievable for scripts. Their developers don't plan on making any changes in the near future. I feel they don't have the power to make changes unless there's more customer demand. I wanted to have a way to display Market Cap and Industry data for the charts since the information is readily available for the scans.

Does this community have any requests for changes they'd like to see in TOS?
Personally, now that I've been messing around more with Thinkscript,
I would want to see more layout options available.
Like being able to move/shift/modify the location of the Data Box and Labels.
Having the ability to code in justification of Labels to snap top/bottom right/left of a chart,
as well as change text color/characteristics

So far from what I'm seeing as others mentioned already,
ability to pull more portfolio stats, and allow that data in Custom Quotes
and allow custom orders through Thinkscript

Yea I got a suggestion, MTF for whatever youre doing!! A LOT of ppl looking for MTF on all types of indicators, granted folks here figure a way to do it but there are still instances where you cant.

TOS needs to allow MTF overlays for whatever youre doing

Last edited by a moderator:
Tools I wish TOS would add to ThinkScript
There are a few functions I would like to see added for use with ThinkScript especially when
building a Conditional Order.
1) GetMyLastTradePrice()
If this function was available I would be able to create a Buy-Sell Condiional Order
that could do: If Close * 1.05 > GetMyLastTradePrice() then trigger Sell Market
2) GetAveragePrice()
this function currently exists but TOS blocks the Trader from using it in creating
Condional Orders. Why? Why does TOS block it's use? If I was a cynical man
I might reason that they do that on purpose to prevent the Trader from being
too profitable. After all they make money when you lose money. But TD-Amneritrade
would never fail in their fiduciary duties. So, there must be some other reason. What
could it be?

3) the ability to set a global variable that can beb set by one study and used by another study.

What functions or features would you like to see added to ThinkScript?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I got a suggestion, MTF for whatever youre doing!! A LOT of ppl looking for MTF on all types of indicators, granted folks here figure a way to do it but there are still instances where you cant.

TOS needs to allow MTF overlays for whatever youre doing
Newbee question. What is MTF?

I would like TOS to utilize multi core CPU's. From what I understand, TOS only works with a single core. This would help make TOS less of a resource hog.

I would like TOS to utilize multi core CPU's. From what I understand, TOS only works with a single core. This would help make TOS less of a resource hog.
I believe this was fixed a few years ago. Do you have proof to the contrary?

I believe this was fixed a few years ago. Do you have proof to the contrary?

mod note:
ToS has always been single-threaded. There is no way to "fix it" without re-writing the platform from the ground up. :(
Schwab's StreetSmart Edge is multi-threaded perhaps if they ever combine products, we will get the power of ToS built into the StreetSmart Edge base.

Last edited:
Dear TOS / Thinkscript peeps:

Within SCAN, Shares is one of the columns that can be added to the output, but there is no filtering capability.

Within Thinkscript 1) Corporate Actions 2) Portfolio 3) Stock Fundamentals, there are numerous COMMANDS that provide derivatives of Shares ( which tells me the data is already there ( earnings per share, cash flow per shares, dividends per shares ) ).

Would be very helpful to have Shares in its form as seen on the screen as a command. Would save the TOS platform a lot of processing.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
it would be cool if they allowed you to click on some text in the script editor and it would highlight all duplicate text Like in the Ctrl-F feature in firefox. It would help tremendously when troubleshooting code

mod note:
ToS has always been single-threaded. There is no way to "fix it" without re-writing the platform from the ground up. :(
Schwab's StreetSmart Edge is multi-threaded perhaps if they ever combine products, we will get the power of ToS built into the StreetSmart Edge base.
I spoke with some Schwab people and they say StreetSmartEdged will be phased out after the transition is completed

How about hotkeys for drawing tools?

I've created some AutoHotkey macros to select tools, but it's extremely inefficient and relies on keyboard presses rather than directly selecting the tools, so it sometimes gets it wrong and I have to hit the hotkey multiple times to get the right tool.

Also, ATM strategies that allow you to trail stops, or do other complex things, like auto move stops to breakeven after a certain distance, etc.

I've e-mailed them all these suggestions, but I don't think they care. I've also suggested they implement UserVoice to enable user feedback instead of whatever arbitrary roadmap they have for their product.

I suggested to TOS by e-mail about lowering commissions on futures and margin requirements and got this response:

Thanks for taking the time to contact us! I am here to make your experience with TD as easy as possible.

The market structure for futures is different than equities and equity options, which is why futures are not $0 commission. There are additional fees that TD is charged that we do not pass on to the customer (unlike other competitors who pass those fees directly to their customers). Additional fees include: market data, clearing fees, carrying fee for holding positions overnight, exposure fees, routing fees, platform fees, account minimums, & broker fees. We feel that the value we provide from a futures perspective, along with the fact that we don't pass on these additional futures fees to customer, warrants the commission we charge.

If you wish to discuss further your commission schedule and would like to attempt to negotiate the rate, we ask that you please call in to the Futures/Forex desk at: 866-839-1100. They will be happy to discuss your commissions further between 8am-4:30pm CST!

We strive to provide the best in-class service to our clients by making it easy for you. Your opinion and satisfaction are essential. If we have not yet met your expectations, or if you see anything we could have done better, please let us know.

Thank you for choosing TD Ameritrade, and we hope you have a great day!

I suggested to TOS by e-mail about lowering commissions on futures and margin requirements and got this response:

Thanks for taking the time to contact us! I am here to make your experience with TD as easy as possible.

The market structure for futures is different than equities and equity options, which is why futures are not $0 commission. There are additional fees that TD is charged that we do not pass on to the customer (unlike other competitors who pass those fees directly to their customers). Additional fees include: market data, clearing fees, carrying fee for holding positions overnight, exposure fees, routing fees, platform fees, account minimums, & broker fees. We feel that the value we provide from a futures perspective, along with the fact that we don't pass on these additional futures fees to customer, warrants the commission we charge.

If you wish to discuss further your commission schedule and would like to attempt to negotiate the rate, we ask that you please call in to the Futures/Forex desk at: 866-839-1100. They will be happy to discuss your commissions further between 8am-4:30pm CST!

We strive to provide the best in-class service to our clients by making it easy for you. Your opinion and satisfaction are essential. If we have not yet met your expectations, or if you see anything we could have done better, please let us know.

Thank you for choosing TD Ameritrade, and we hope you have a great day!

I agree their margins are way too high. NinjaTrader requires $500 / contract, compared to TOS's current requirement of around $11k.

On commissions, I negotiated a discount for futures. I'm probably not supposed to tell you, but I pay $1.50 (+exchange fees). They won't go any lower unless you're trading something like 2k contracts / month (so I've been told).

I'm probably switching to NinjaTrader in the near future because TOS continues to experience issues every time they publish an update. NT's commissions are something like $0.59 / contract for the # of contracts I trade.

Honestly a little disappointed because I really like the TOS platform, but I'm just getting irritated by how little they're innovating, and how they're focusing on adding garbage I don't need.

I agree their margins are way too high. NinjaTrader requires $500 / contract, compared to TOS's current requirement of around $11k.

On commissions, I negotiated a discount for futures. I'm probably not supposed to tell you, but I pay $1.50 (+exchange fees). They won't go any lower unless you're trading something like 2k contracts / month (so I've been told).

I'm probably switching to NinjaTrader in the near future because TOS continues to experience issues every time they publish an update. NT's commissions are something like $0.59 / contract for the # of contracts I trade.

Honestly a little disappointed because I really like the TOS platform, but I'm just getting irritated by how little they're innovating, and how they're focusing on adding garbage I don't need.
Also they did away with the Shadow Trader chat room which was nice to listen during the trading day for free. Now you have to pay for it at Tasty Trade☹️

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.