ThinkorSwim is very slow

B

BMW7667

I'm running quite a few custom scripts, got a brand new computer but ToS is still slow as a sloth ... any suggestions?

H

HSNerd

I run a lot of scripts also and it works fine for me. I would still consider it clunky. What did you get for a computer!? If you don't mind me asking. I build mine because I was having slow down issues also on the previous rig.

BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
Usually, when ThinkorSwim starts acting slow, the platform will actually give you a popup and suggest a new setting for you to use. Have you seen such popup yet? If not, you can manually adjust the RAM settings from the login screen (click on the gear icon).

B

BMW7667

running a brand new Falcon with ample RAM and 3 graphic cards. The RAM settings are set 12MB - 24MB. The rig only runs ToS no other apps .. its probably not the system but the charts.
One thing I noticed that charts got slow after I started running Renko charts .. not sure if anyone else experienced any slowness

Mordoor

Mordoor

2019 Donor
Warehouse
I would change your ram settings in TOS to 64 - 1536. Also, TOS is not a multi-thread piece of software so it only uses one core of your CPU. However, you can have multiple instances of TOS open on the same computer. Hope this helps.

zeek

zeek

2019 Donor
I don’t think TOS is slow at all but you need to have the right RAM settings.

Mordoor

Mordoor

2019 Donor
Warehouse
To look at your ram usage in TOS, on the main page, right click on the Help button on the top. This will open a window that shows your memory usage. It will show Total Memory, Used Memory and Free Memory across the top. You can click on Collect Garbage on the top right side and this will free up all available memory. In order for TOS to run efficiently, you should show at least 2,500,00K of total memory. If it does not, then adjust the memory settings on the startup screen as indicated in the post above. I am certain this will solve your problem.

markos

markos

VIP
Also, take a look at the beta site. trade.tdameritrade dot com. Just remember it's in BETA and prone to issues.
Have you deleted your GUI file from inside the Thinkorswim file? Be sure your backed up first.

Townsend

Townsend

VIP
I think TOS does a LOT of disk access. I got rid of my hard drive and and now with a cheap solid state drive everything happens almost instantaneously.

For example, a Grid with 20 charts loads in 3-4 seconds. And this just an i3 machine with 8 gig of RAM.

I like starting with an empty drive. But I know there are utilities that will copy the entire contents of your old drive to the new drive. Sounds pretty simple, though I've never done it.

P

Playstation

VIP
I'm on a Mac mini. It does lag when the grids/charts are filled. Anyone knows if getting an external gfx card will help with the lag?