The Big Four Chart SetUp For ThinkOrSwim

@GiantBull @TradingNumbers

Very nice indicator. The first indicator I have come across in a long time that I added to my trading chart. I also trade SPY options with price action and S/R levels that have proven their usefulness over time. With some modifications to the code to use both signals with and without consideration of TMO, I am really liking what I see.

Great work.
mrEwXg7.jpg
I totally agree. It's been a while since I added another indicator to my list.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

VlKlpHu.png

This is my setup
In the upper chart, I use the 50's channel (high and low) to give me a reference. Then use the channel as an entry point, above or below the 50's channel. The arrows in the top are Persons Piviots. The lower charts are 2 MACDs (1.5 minute and 3 minute). I really like the Big 4 in the setup, as it provides an element of clarity. all this on a 1 min timeframe

VlKlpHu.png

This is my setup
In the upper chart, I use the 50's channel (high and low) to give me a reference. Then use the channel as an entry point, above or below the 50's channel. The arrows in the top are Persons Piviots. The lower charts are 2 MACDs (1.5 minute and 3 minute). I really like the Big 4 in the setup, as it provides an element of clarity. all this on a 1 min timeframe
Can you share your chart?

@GiantBull got it all set up, ready to test it out tomorrow! Would you have taken the trades at 3:15 & 3:45 EST? Both would've been small gains, but timing would need to be perfect.. does this look like your SPY chart?

You need to turn off the strategy hold trend and put the strategy confirmation factor to 4 to get an accurate look at how the strategy is supposed to be and how I trade it. The trade you mentioned at 3:45 would not have been taken because the candles are gray. Meaning not all 4 indicators have fired a sell signal. As for the 3:15 one that trade would have also not been taken because the way I enter the trade is not when the high of the first green bar is broken. I wait for the high/low to be broken on the 1 min for the 3 min green/red bar and then wait for another candle to break the high/low of that candle on the 1 min. Kinda confusing but here's a picture that would help explain it better.

RvtEw1S.png

The white line is the the high of the 3 min green candle. At 3:19 price broke the high of that candle. So, I will then use the high of the 3:19 candle for my entry if price breaks through. The golden line would be my entry once price breaks it which it never did. I also didn't extend the lines all the way because if you go back to the 3 min chart the next candles are gray which nullify the previous green candles.

JuELXEg.png

Last edited:
You need to turn off the strategy hold trend and put the strategy confirmation factor to 4 to get an accurate look at how the strategy is supposed to be and how I trade it. The trade you mentioned at 3:45 would not have been taken because the candles are gray. Meaning not all 4 indicators have fired a sell signal. As for the 3:15 one that trade would have also not been taken because the way I enter the trade is not when the high of the first green bar is broken. I wait for the high/low to be broken on the 1 min for the 3 min green/red bar and then wait for another candle to break the high/low of that candle on the 1 min. Kinda confusing but here's a picture that would help explain it better.

RvtEw1S.png

The white line is the the high of the 3 min green candle. At 3:19 price broke the high of that candle. So, I will then use the high of the 3:19 candle for my entry if price breaks through. The golden line would be my entry once price breaks it which it never did. I also didn't extend the lines all the way because if you go back to the 3 min chart the next candles are gray which nullify the previous green candles.

JuELXEg.png
Wouldn’t this equate to 3 consecutive bars on 3m to break the past 2 candle highs?

Wouldn’t this equate to 3 consecutive bars on 3m to break the past 2 candle highs?
No, it would only be 2 technically on the 1 min chart. You're only looking at the 1 min chart. So, let's say you get a buy signal on the 3 min chart and the high for that candle is $1. Now you switch to the 1 min chart and let's say price breaks through $1 and makes a new high at $1.10. Now you will only enter the trade once that level of $1.10 gets broken. All this is happening on the 1 min. I take all my entries based of the 1 min. Don't enter as soon as the high is broken from the candle that gave you a buy signal. Based on back testing that can lead to some bad trades.

@GiantBull Entered SPY calls at 10:34 AM EST after meeting the conditions you outlined, but stopped out. Did I miss something, or just the result of a choppy market?
No the conditions were all met however choppiness is our enemy. I was prepared today since Powell is speaking at the house and was expecting this kind of price action, so I had my stop loss really tight. Remember there will be bad trades this strategy has a 70% success rate, so you are guaranteed to have some losing trades. As long as you get out withing your loss range you will be good long term.

No the conditions were all met however choppiness is our enemy. I was prepared today since Powell is speaking at the house and was expecting this kind of price action, so I had my stop loss really tight. Remember there will be bad trades this strategy has a 70% success rate, so you are guaranteed to have some losing trades. As long as you get out withing your loss range you will be good long term.

Thanks! Paper trading for now.. especially on Powell day. Where do you typically set your stop?

Thanks! Paper trading for now.. especially on Powell day. Where do you typically set your stop?
I don't actually use a stop loss when trading options since you can get stopped out really fast when you don't want to. I have a dollar range and when I am in there I look to get out.

I just Found the Big Four - and I really, really like it. ..... I've been looking, but I don't
see a scan for it? Is there one and I'm just missing it. I think this would be a primary
scan in my arsenal of looking for trades....thanks for any help...

I was thinking of using it to scan in the "SCAN" tab to look for stocks that are changing
from green to red and vice versa....I looked at a number of stocks and it seems to be pretty
decent at giving a heads up on direction...

SO....the question is (and I can't thinkscript) is there a method to SCAN for these potential stocks without going through them one by one? My guess is it's really easy, but I just don't see it... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just Found the Big Four - and I really, really like it. ..... I've been looking, but I don't
see a scan for it? Is there one and I'm just missing it. I think this would be a primary
scan in my arsenal of looking for trades....thanks for any help...
I believe you can scan with it if you turn on the arrows. signal_up and signal_dn is what you are looking for.

I see it working well for stocks as well. AMD, TSLA, MCD...

SO....the question is (and I can't thinkscript) is there a method to SCAN for these potential stocks without going through them one by one? My guess is it's really easy, but I just don't see it... :)
Just go to the scan tab, add a condition, select the indicator and look for the plots being true. I'll try to post screenshots if i get a free moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just took a quick a look at AMD and you would have caught very nice moves last week and also this week. Might need to add AMD to my trading list!

I can't remember, if the ak trend is on that thread.

Links for the 4 indicators:
Anchored Momentum: https://tos.mx/buzNdWK
AK trend: https://tos.mx/ymhoN5R
Zscore indicator: https://tos.mx/ibBpRr6
Ehlers: https://tos.mx/14yaHql

I forgot to mention that I trade on a 3 min chart and I only trade SPY. The important part is to figure out when a trend has exhausted itself. I use a combo of support and resistance and also the TMO. Whenever it is overbought or oversold, I wait for price to reach a near-term resistance/support area and then watch for a buy/sell signal from the 4 indicators. If 3 out of the 4 indicators have fired a signal I am in the trade. I have tested about almost every indicator that has been posted on this website and I find these 4 to be pretty powerful when used together. I know there's many coders who have posted multiple indicators in one study such as the confirmation candles or the CSA indicators but unfortunately, I couldn't make money off of those.

I have been on this website for about a year now have successfully made $10,000 only last month starting my account from $1,500 using 4 indicators posted on here. I call them the big 4. Ehlers, anchored momentum, ak trend, and zscore. My strategy is simple. I wait until 3 out 4 of the indicators are either bullish or bearish to take on a trade. Over the years I have used other indicators as well but lost.
Shared Chart Link: http://tos.mx/M3STTOx Click here for --> Easiest way to load shared links
mEdtaSg.png
Thanks for studies, do you have the code for scanner feature on thinkscript?

I think settings 30, 2, 2 works better for TMO. You also have AKtrend line just crossing zero line as a confirmation if you go long.

Screenshot-2023-03-04-at-11-13-44-PM.png

Screenshot-2023-03-04-at-11-03-13-PM.png

Looking at it now, it doesn't work too well with that logic. You say if the TMO is below zero, you are allowed to go long and if TMO is above zero, you are are allowed to go short. However, the cond_UP proposal above is you are allowed to go long when TMO is above zero. Opposite of your description. Also, looking at the chart, there are a lot of long opportunities here where you would be missing if you don't consider above zero TMO.

WcXLisu.png

Here is another example. You would be missing a lot of these with TMO filtering.
DeSQv2m.png

Idea in v1.2 is that if the TMO crossed above zero, there is a higher probability that it will reach overbought condition, and when it crossed below zero, it has a higher probability that it will reach oversold condition. However, there are many cases where TMO will stay above zero or below zero and never cross zero to reversal, it will only be a pullback and continuation.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
319 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back