TD-Ameritrade Slow Execution & TOS Freezes (Jan 2020)?

Townsend

VIP
I can't say this is happening to me. Though... I don't place many orders via ThinkOrSwim.
Have you seen this video? I was skeptical at first. But then I read the comments. Wow!!

If this is happening to you, this comment might prove useful:
"This is true. However, if you are on one of their two servers, the execution is really bad. The other server is quick. Call them and tell them to switch to advance feature server, which is quicker in executing."

When you log into your TDAmertrade account. Select: Client Services, My Profile, General, then make sure the Advanced Features is Enabled.

I trade everyday and many nights, I have not had any of the issues the video is referring to. Anyway TOS wil be with Charles Schwab in the near future if there are no antitrust issues.

I am very happy with TOS and hope to continue being happy.

I've been actually having a very weird problem the last two weeks where my chart cells keep jumping around to different stocks on my watchlist from market open to 10am. Some people replying on the video actually posted the same problem I'm having. I will literally take my hands away from my computer and my charts just randomly cycle through my watchlist stocks. Then it magically stops at 10am and goes back to normal. Very strange

I am very happy with TOS and hope to continue being happy.

Yes! I totally agree. All my charts and analysis happen in TOS. Though... my orders are often placed with other brokers. Can't imagine Schwab giving up on TOS. Their StreetSmartEdge platform is primitive by comparison.

My best guess... all execution problems are a direct result of this new no-commission-fee trading. It's a HUGE BOOM to day traders.

Sometime ago I was having the same problems. I found the not all save workspace are save

So first share your workspace in TOS, this will be saved and display in (share items) tab, if you don't know how, do a search on the education section, Write down the TOS.MX????, you can enter that code in the share box and recover your workspace. DON'T public share, just email share that way its private unless you share the code. then follow troubleshooting below.

One more thing, disreguard the tos automaticly troubleshooting send by tos the tech don't read them, if your having trouble with your workspace use the top let setup right or left click on it. that will send a report to the tech and you might get a reply back.

troubleshooting;

Delete usergui folder.. ( in the tos c;/tos file (soomwhere on your PC C drive)

1. To delete cache files - I noticed in the thinkorswim directory that one of the cache files is much larger than normal. I suspect it may be corrupt and removing it may help your performance. This file does not contain any setup or custom information so it is ok to delete. Please do the following:

- Save your workspace by clicking Setup - Save Workspace As... Share workspace too

- Close TOS and then right click on the green TOS icon and select Properties.

Click on Open File Location to get to the directory where the TOS files are stored.

Find any file beginning with the word Cache and delete it.

- Restart TOS

2. Your log shows that the program is consistently using a higher than normal amount of video memory. you could improve performance by reducing the amount of charts and indicators that you have loaded at the same time. I understand that these are essential to your trading but if we can find a way to only load those items when you need them I think the program will run better.

If you have time the best way to do this would be to save the workspace so you can get back to

then reset TOS to a default by clicking Setup - Reset Workspace to Default. This will load a blank TOS. From there add 1-2 charts at a time and keep an eye on when and if TOS slows down. At the point you notice lag you know you have reached the limit of your set up.

From there you may want to save some of your charts as grids, these are stored on our servers under your userid. Closing your excess charts and loading them as grids will help you to keep the platform performance down but still allow you access to important charting when you need it.

To save a grid click on the square in the upper right corner of the chart window and click on Save Grid.

3. if you still having trouble you may have to dump the TOS file completely. That is done through the remove file in your control panel command. get a new install file from TDAmeriTrade homesite, then use the TOS.MX/???? to replace your present workspace. your save workspaces may return sometime my don't return.

4. you can also set your memory high.

when the green TOS logo comes up the a gear hit the and raise the memory level high 4??? and 6??? you don't have to use the preset ones you can also self enter levels you desire like 3072, 3584

I've been actually having a very weird problem the last two weeks where my chart cells keep jumping around to different stocks on my watchlist from market open to 10am.

I had that problem again today. At one point, TOS even changed the watchlist so that symbols were showing up 2 or 3 times instead of just once. It seemed like every time a symbol moved up or down the watchlist, the ticker I was trying to display on the chart would populate to something random. So I changed the watchlist to sort by alphabetical order to prevent symbols from moving up or down on the list. That stopped the random populating of cells. At least for today. Will see if that works starting at market open tomorrow.

My problem is the changing of ticker will take almost 30 seconds to load the new chart in the first half hour of trading start; it has been happening these few weeks.

I had that problem again today. At one point, TOS even changed the watchlist so that symbols were showing up 2 or 3 times instead of just once. It seemed like every time a symbol moved up or down the watchlist, the ticker I was trying to display on the chart would populate to something random. So I changed the watchlist to sort by alphabetical order to prevent symbols from moving up or down on the list. That stopped the random populating of cells. At least for today. Will see if that works starting at market open tomorrow.

That fixed it for me, thank you!!

I have noticed issues getting worse as of late. Mostly in the first 5-15 minutes of market open as it seemed others in that video mentioned. I love the chart trader feature so I am not looking forward to switching, but it is coming to it.

Have good (wired) internet with good tested ping to their server.

Me too having issues at beginning of day for instance this morning I loaded a trade order and it took some time to go through meanwhile I had no idea what the bid/ask was and I could not cancel the order.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.