TD Ameritrade now requires $500 minimum balance for real time quotes paper trading

• Thread starter technicallydreaming
  • Start date
technicallydreaming

technicallydreaming

Just wanted to let you guys know, if it hasn't already been discussed here. Was told by support it is a new rule. You can still just go to the live side and get the real time quotes.

C

codydog

My guess is that they are looking to address the data dissemination issues they have.

wtf_dude

wtf_dude

My guess is that they are looking to address the data dissemination issues they have.
100% guarantee you that it's because people are using other free brokerages like RobinHood and then signing up for papertrading at TD with $10 just to take advantage of the TOS platform to make decisions. We used to deal with crap like that all the time and that was before free commissions

C

codydog

100% guarantee you that it's because people are using other free brokerages like RobinHood and then signing up for papertrading at TD with $10 just to take advantage of the TOS platform to make decisions. We used to deal with crap like that all the time and that was before free commissions
I once asked TDA (at an upper-mid level mgmt level) if they would consider tiering commission rates and then guarantee service levels, eg, the more you paid in commissions (or bigger balance) the better service. They said they were all for increasing mkt share and would never do that.

Maybe this is a first baby step in that direction.

wtf_dude

wtf_dude

I once asked TDA (at an upper-mid level mgmt level) if they would consider tiering commission rates and then guarantee service levels, eg, the more you paid in commissions (or bigger balance) the better service. They said they were all for increasing mkt share and would never do that.

Maybe this is a first baby step in that direction.
LOL that guy straight up lied to you. If your account balance is high enough or you trade a certain amount per month there is a negotiating threshold for commission rate changes. You request a commission negotiation and mgmt reviews your account and trade history. Things might have changed since the no commission stuff kicked in though. For service level changes, that doesn't kick in until you hit PCS (private client services) and you have to have $1mil with TD. PCS people get to do whatever the hell they want and have a totally separate phone line to call.

C

codydog

I was looking for guaranteed uptime and different ip routing where I would be switched over to less congested servers/lines. At the time, its what another firm was offering

imo, td is pretty flexible if you trade at specific levels.

wtf_dude

wtf_dude

I was looking for guaranteed uptime and different ip routing where I would be switched over to less congested servers/lines. At the time, its what another firm was offering

imo, td is pretty flexible if you trade at specific levels.
Ohhh I gotcha. Yea, to my knowledge they've never had anything like that. Part of the consideration would be that the brokerage is TD but the platform is ToS and they're 2 different companies based in 2 different places (ToS is in Chicago). So there would have to be a system that is set up by both to allow something like that and they probably just don't want to bother.