ThinkorSwim minimum balance for real time quotes

Just wanted to let you guys know, if it hasn't already been discussed here. Was told by support it is a new rule. TD Ameritrade now requires $500 minimum balance for real time quotes. This is only applied to paper trading account. You can still just go to the live side and get the real time data for free.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

My guess is that they are looking to address the data dissemination issues they have.
100% guarantee you that it's because people are using other free brokerages like RobinHood and then signing up for papertrading at TD with $10 just to take advantage of the TOS platform to make decisions. We used to deal with crap like that all the time and that was before free commissions

100% guarantee you that it's because people are using other free brokerages like RobinHood and then signing up for papertrading at TD with $10 just to take advantage of the TOS platform to make decisions. We used to deal with crap like that all the time and that was before free commissions

I once asked TDA (at an upper-mid level mgmt level) if they would consider tiering commission rates and then guarantee service levels, eg, the more you paid in commissions (or bigger balance) the better service. They said they were all for increasing mkt share and would never do that.

Maybe this is a first baby step in that direction.

I once asked TDA (at an upper-mid level mgmt level) if they would consider tiering commission rates and then guarantee service levels, eg, the more you paid in commissions (or bigger balance) the better service. They said they were all for increasing mkt share and would never do that.

Maybe this is a first baby step in that direction.
LOL that guy straight up lied to you. If your account balance is high enough or you trade a certain amount per month there is a negotiating threshold for commission rate changes. You request a commission negotiation and mgmt reviews your account and trade history. Things might have changed since the no commission stuff kicked in though. For service level changes, that doesn't kick in until you hit PCS (private client services) and you have to have $1mil with TD. PCS people get to do whatever the hell they want and have a totally separate phone line to call.

I was looking for guaranteed uptime and different ip routing where I would be switched over to less congested servers/lines. At the time, its what another firm was offering

imo, td is pretty flexible if you trade at specific levels.

I was looking for guaranteed uptime and different ip routing where I would be switched over to less congested servers/lines. At the time, its what another firm was offering

imo, td is pretty flexible if you trade at specific levels.
Ohhh I gotcha. Yea, to my knowledge they've never had anything like that. Part of the consideration would be that the brokerage is TD but the platform is ToS and they're 2 different companies based in 2 different places (ToS is in Chicago). So there would have to be a system that is set up by both to allow something like that and they probably just don't want to bother.

I feel a bit limited with scanning stocks and options because of the study filter being blocked on practice accounts. I also don't live in the US so i can't open up a live account. Is there any sort of work around to get these study filters working?

I feel a bit limited with scanning stocks and options because of the study filter being blocked on practice accounts. I also don't live in the US so i can't open up a live account. Is there any sort of work around to get these study filters working?

No other way around it.

@wildeye as @BenTen stated, there is no way around setting up a live account... The reason behind this is that the platform shouldn't be abused as simply a free research service for folks who have trading accounts on other platforms... Only those with vested interests, in the form of a funded account, get all of the goodies... I surely couldn't find fault for following this business model...