sum vs fold

markt

I'm a newbie to thinkscript. As such I decided to write my own little piece of code to calculate the std of a set of data. To do this I used the sum function. However, when I compared the results to the inbuilt std formula there was a difference between my calculation and that of the inbuilt function. When I looked at the code for the inbuilt function (provided in the thinkscript help pages) I noticed that it was using the fold command rather than the sum command.

I must admit I am totally lost as to why my code doesn't give the same answer. I have posted it below. Have I just made a silly booboo or is there something fundamentally wrong with my understanding (or both?). (I was expecting the output of my code to be a straight line with yy=0.)

script getstd_diff {
input y = close;
input length = 50;

def av_y= Average(y,length);
def mystd = Sqrt( Sum(Sqr(y-av_y),length)/length );
def inbuilt = StDev(close,length);
plot difff=mystd-inbuilt;
}

declare lower;
input length = 50;
plot yy=getstd_diff(close,length);

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

my apologies... here is the stdDev help function code copied from the thinkscript reference manual. As I understand it, StDev and StDevTS give identical results. Therefore I assume that the inbuilt calculation of standard deviation is equivalent to the fold based expression "Sqrt( (fold i = 0 to length with SD do SD + Sqr(GetValue(data, i) - avgData) ) / length);"

script StDevTS {

input data = close;

input length = 12;

def avgData = Average(data, length);

plot StDevTS1 = Sqrt( (fold i = 0 to length with SD do SD + Sqr(GetValue(data, i) - avgData) ) / length);

}

declare lower;

input length = 10;

plot StDev1 = StDev(close, length);

plot StDev2 = StDevTS(close, length).StDevTS1;

no need for apologies. just want people to think about providing as much info as
possible , to make it easier for others to help them.
i looked at this site, printed it out and compared to your code. i can look at it in tos in a couple hours.
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Statistical/StDev

your code has a sum in it and doesn't match the example code? maybe that is the problem.

plot StDevTS2 = Sqrt(Average(Sqr(data), length) - Sqr(Average(data, length)));

i think you may have to pull the built in function out of your script and then do the comparison.

I'm a newbie to thinkscript. As such I decided to write my own little piece of code to calculate the std of a set of data. To do this I used the sum function. However, when I compared the results to the inbuilt std formula there was a difference between my calculation and that of the inbuilt function. When I looked at the code for the inbuilt function (provided in the thinkscript help pages) I noticed that it was using the fold command rather than the sum command.

I must admit I am totally lost as to why my code doesn't give the same answer. I have posted it below. Have I just made a silly booboo or is there something fundamentally wrong with my understanding (or both?). (I was expecting the output of my code to be a straight line with yy=0.)

script getstd_diff {
input y = close;
input length = 50;

def inbuilt = StDev(close,length);
plot difff=mystd-inbuilt;
}

declare lower;
input length = 50;
plot yy=getstd_diff(close,length);

See if this helps. It matches the TOS one's you provided, however, I had to make av_y = average(close,1) instead of how you defined it. As I am not familiar with the math, perhaps you can figure it out from the following

Code:
script getstd_diff {
    input y      = close;
    input length = 10;
    def av_y     = average(close, 1);
    def mystd    = Sqrt(Sum(Sqr(Sum(close - av_y, length)), length) / length );
    def inbuilt  = StDev(close, length);
    plot difff   = inbuilt - mystd;
}

declare lower;
input length = 10;
plot yy = getstd_diff(close, length);

I appreciate people getting back to me. I think I now understand what is going on. When calculating a standard deviation, we find the summation of Sqr(y_i - y_av) with i in the range (1,length) (formula given here ). It is only necessary to calculate the average value of y, y_av, once .

In the original code that I posted, I assumed that on a given bar, once y_av was calculated its value was then fixed for that bar (def av_y= Average(y,length);). However it appears that it is calculated at least 'length-1' more times if it appears within the sum function. During the summation, each calculation uses the bar of interest (with closing value = y_i) and then finds the average value over length bars up to that bar. I guess we could say that the y_av turns into a moving average when included in the sum function (i.e its value is now not fixed)

I figured this out by writing a little piece of matlab code that produces both the inbuilt standard deviation, std1, value and the mystd, std2, value produced in my original post. I have copied this below

Code:
% sign indicates a comment

x=[238.47 ,236.61, 240.00, 239.6, 238.63, 235.15, 233.82, 235.95]; % Visa close prices

%  7/9        7/8        7/7      7/6     7/2        7/1      6/30      6/29    dates

llength=4;

av1=mean(x(1:llength));  %finds average over 'llength' values

sqrsum1=0; %initialize summation

sqrsum2=0; %initialize summation

for i=1:llength

av2=mean( x(i : i+(llength-1) )); %finds average over llength values commencing at current x value i.e moving average

sqrsum1=sqrsum1+(x(i)- av1)^2;

sqrsum2=sqrsum2+(x(i)- av2)^2;

end

std1 = sqrt((sqrsum1/llength))     % corresponds to inbuilt in my original post

std2 = sqrt((sqrsum2/llength))     % corresponds to mystd in my original post

At least I know now where the error was in my assumption that

should produce the correct standard deviation. Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated

Although the result is very similar, what is the "volatility" difference, or mathematical/trading significance between code (using StdDev) compared to classic (using LinearDev)? Why use each over the other?

StdDev: Sqrt of LinearDev

Code:
plot StDevTS1 = Sqrt(
                          (
                            fold i = 0 to length
                            with SD
                            do SD + Sqr(GetValue(data, i) - avgData)
                          ) / length
                        );

LinearDev:

Code:
plot LinDevTS =
              (
                fold i = 0 to length
                with LD
                do LD + AbsValue( avgData - GetValue(data, i) )
              ) / length;

Last edited by a moderator: