SPX Trading Strategy for ThinkorSwim

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have added the PriceLine indicator (more visual current price, plus S/R) and an 89 EMA (for trend) to the upper and have been experimenting with the singular additions of Didi_Index and WaveTrend_Indicator lower indicators to my charts... Didi_Index usually matches entries and WaveTrend can indicate earlier yet riskier entries...

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

I have added the PriceLine indicator (more visual current price, plus S/R) and an 89 EMA (for trend) to the upper and have been experimenting with the singular additions of Didi_Index and WaveTrend_Indicator lower indicators to my charts... Didi_Index usually matches entries and WaveTrend can indicate earlier yet riskier entries...
awesome - can you post a screenshot of that? thx!

@Chence27: Here's an example of what i mean when i say "staying safe". Look at the screenshot at 15:00...the SMA's have crossed...but the red dots get close to the zero line....but they don't cross. so that's a no go. Tweak till you remove as many quick swings as possible like this one.

FnsWc8R.png

Where that indicator is helpful...is for the amount of time you may want to stay in the trade. If the candles end up having a mix of green and red after you get in...but you're in a put and the Ergo is staying red...you may want to hold. same for a call.

@Hypoluxa & @Chence27 Here are two configurations I will be testing this coming week on different timeframes... One with the Didi_Index and the other with the WaveTrend_Indicator... I am also running my EMA_x5_Stack Study with a 3&9 cloud and crossover arrows... The Didi_Index and 3&9 crossover can be used to confirm the earlier entries and the Didi_Index can also be used to stay in trades longer than a quick scalp... The WaveTrend_Indicator can be used for super-early entries for those comfortable with the added risk... It will take some observation time to determine whether either of these additional indicators is worthwhile in this setup...

tjtjnir.jpg

cuI4CEj.jpg

I'm pretty new to coding within ToS, but am trying to add up/down arrow indicators when all conditions are met for this method. Getting close, however running into a few issues due to lack of familiarity with the coding language. Issues I'd like to fix are repeating arrows after conditions are met, ensuring there hasn't been movement in the opposite direction on the MACD chart after crossing the zero line, ensuring the first condition to be met is the SMA's crossing. Has anyone else coded in up/down arrow indicators yet?

Code:
#
# TD Ameritrade IP Company, Inc. (c) 2017-2020
#

# INPUTS

input price = close;
input length_fast = 3;
input displace_fast = 0;
input length_slow = 9;
input displace_slow = 0;

# MACD

input MACDfastLength = 12;
input MACDslowLength = 26;
input MACDLength = 5;

# Erg

input longLength = 2;
input shortLength = 10;
input signalLength = 36;
input averageType = AverageType.EXPONENTIAL;

#
# SMA
#

def SMA_fast = Average(price[-displace_fast], length_fast);
def SMA_slow = Average(price[-displace_slow], length_slow);

#
# MACD
#

def MACD_Data = MACD(fastLength = MACDfastLength, slowLength = MACDslowLength, MACDLength = MACDLength);

def MACD_Dots = MACD_Data;
def MACD_Line = MACD_Data;

#
# ErgodicOsc
#

def ErgodicOsc = TrueStrengthIndex(longLength, shortLength, signalLength, averageType).TSI - TrueStrengthIndex(longLength, shortLength, signalLength, averageType).Signal;

def ZeroLine = 0;

def UpCond1 = SMA_fast crosses above SMA_slow within 10 bars;
def UpCond2 = MACD_Dots >= 0.5;
def UpCond3 = ErgodicOsc >= 5;
def UpCond4 = MACD_Dots crosses above ZeroLine within 10 bars;
def UpCond5 = MACD_Dots > MACD_Dots[1];

def DownCond1 = SMA_fast crosses below SMA_slow within 10 bars;
def DownCond2 = MACD_Dots <= -0.5;
def DownCond3 = ErgodicOsc <= -5;
def DownCond4 = MACD_Dots crosses below ZeroLine within 10 bars;
def DownCond5 = MACD_Dots < MACD_Dots[1];

plot SPXUp = UpCond1 and UpCond2 and UpCond3 and UpCond4 and UpCond5;
plot SPXDown = DownCond1 and DownCond2 and DownCond3 and DownCond4 and DownCond5;

SPXUp.SetDefaultColor(Color.DARK_ORANGE);
SPXUp.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
SPXDown.SetDefaultColor(Color.DARK_RED);
SPXDown.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);

@Hypoluxa & @Chence27 Here are two configurations I will be testing this coming week on different timeframes... One with the Didi_Index and the other with the WaveTrend_Indicator... I am also running my EMA_x5_Stack Study with a 3&9 cloud and crossover arrows... The Didi_Index and 3&9 crossover can be used to confirm the earlier entries and the Didi_Index can also be used to stay in trades longer than a quick scalp... The WaveTrend_Indicator can be used for super-early entries for those comfortable with the added risk... It will take some observation time to determine whether either of these additional indicators is worthwhile in this setup...

tjtjnir.jpg

cuI4CEj.jpg
Hi can you share the above charts with thinkorswim share link? Thx

I only watch SPX and AMZN
First, thanks for sharing this strategy. Seems to be very effective. Tested it today in SPX with positive results. Question- are you using the same settings from Post #4 for your AMZN trade? Thanks.

@Hypoluxa- never mind, thank you. Saw the AMZN settings in your message above. Will test it. Again, thank you.

Why do you use the zero line? Is it arbitrary or is there logic to only taking trades at this value?
Go to my original post...post #1...even tho I originally speak of SPX...the logic applies to AMZN....or any stock you tweak this to.
But the zero line and SMA’s crossing is critical and the main logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
496 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back