Show the Moving Average of another Security

Skyfly93

Can anyone build a study that display the moving average of a secondary security onto the primary chart as a lower study?

For example, is it possible to see the 10-day moving average of VIX (secondary security) shown on the ES chart lower study? Ideally, would like to make the secondary security an input.

_Merch_Man_

Hey @Skyfly93 - Can you try this and confirm it does what you need?

Code:
input price = close;
input length = 9;
input displace = 0;
input ticker = "VIX";

declare lower;

plot SMA = Average(close(ticker)[-displace], length);

SMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(1));

addlabel(1,"Moving Average: " + ticker);

_Merch_Man_

@Skyfly93 Could you please post a screenshot? Here are 2 shots from my system where you can see on the daily and hourly the VIX mainchart values match the lower chart values.

RsFiGa3.jpg

snyN8PN.jpg

_Merch_Man_

Can't seem to attach photos into here directly so posted a link below.

As you can see, the both the VIX and /VX MA lag the /ES chart by a few bars.

Interestingly, plotting /VX upper and lower eliminates the issue as does plotting /ES against /ES. I can kinda see why /ES vs VIX doesnt work correctly because of the different trading hours, but I can't immediately see why you see the lag on /ES vs /VX. I'll keep looking.

Edit: Even more interesting, there is a lag with /ES main and /VX lower, but no lag with /VX main and /ES lower. I am confused.

Skyfly93

Interestingly, plotting /VX upper and lower eliminates the issue as does plotting /ES against /ES. I can kinda see why /ES vs VIX doesnt work correctly because of the different trading hours, but I can't immediately see why you see the lag on /ES vs /VX. I'll keep looking.

Edit: Even more interesting, there is a lag with /ES main and /VX lower, but no lag with /VX main and /ES lower. I am confused.
I would be very confused as well.

Yes I expect VIX not to lag but just not plot during globex hours, but there's still a lag on VIX on the daily looking at ES, which shouldn't be the case.

Not sure what's causing this though since the code you wrote is fairly simple and straightforward.