Scripting Profit Setpoint In Strategy

A

Atticmonkey81

VIP
Hello all,

I am new to the site and thinkscript so I apologize if this is a simple process or if this has been asked before, I did a search but couldn't see anything like what I was looking for. Can a strategy be written to enter a trade based on an indicator (example Supertrend) and have the exit be based off of a preset profit taking setpoint? So if I set the strategy to buy when Supertrend turns bullish, could I set the script to assume I took a .20 profit or stopped out when Supertrend turned bearish?

Thanks in advance.

I am seeing the entryprice function but not sure how to use it, keeps giving an error for "no such variable"

Last edited:
A

Atticmonkey81

VIP
So I was able to get the entryprice function to work but now I'm trying to refine it a little bit further. Here is the string that I'm having issues with:

def exit = close > (EntryPrice()+ .20);

Is there a way to have it look at the current price instead of the price at the close of that bar? I am trying to get "pricetype.last" to work but it keeps wanting to error out saying its an incompatible parameter.

M

Mlentsch0

VIP
I’d love to know if you get this to work, I had the same question! How do you get it to auto take a position for you tho if you always have to confirm trade?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Atticmonkey81

VIP
My understanding is that there is no fully automatic trading based on a strategy. I think the best you could do would be to build a study to work with contingent orders. Not certain but that's the way I took it.