Scanning for when RSI is greater than FilterL

dugafish

I am trying to create a scan (using a Mobius custom indicator called FilterL) that selects for when RSI (any length but I use 9) is greater than FilterL however the scan function doesnt seem to be able to calculate FilterL even though as an indicator it works perfectly in my charts. Any suggestions for how I can the scan function to recognize this custom variable?

#RSI with Laguerre Filter applied at 6 period length
# Mobius
# V02.2012
# Modulation self adjusting with RSI volatility range

declare lower;
input RSIrr = .01;
input length = 6;
input over_Bought = 80;
input over_Sold = 20;
input price = close;
input ZERO_LINE = 50;

def o = open;
def h = high;
def l = low;
def c = close;
def NetChgAvg = WildersAverage(price - price[1], length);
def TotChgAvg = WildersAverage(AbsValue(price - price[1]), length);
def ChgRatio = if TotChgAvg != 0 then NetChgAvg / TotChgAvg else 0;

plot RSI = 50 * (ChgRatio + 1);
RSI.SetDefaultColor(Color.Yellow);
plot OverSold = over_Sold;
plot OverBought = over_Bought;
plot ZEROLINE=ZERO_LINE;

OverSold.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(8));
OverBought.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(8));
def RSIh = highest(RSI, length);
def RSIl = lowest(RSI, length);
def RSIr = RSIrr * Average(RSIh - RSIl, length);
def gamma = if RSIr > .9
then .9
else if RSIr < .2
then .2
else gamma[1];
def bar = barNumber();
def L0 = ((1 - gamma) * RSI) + (gamma * L0[1]);
def L1 = (-gamma * L0) + L0[1] + (gamma * L1[1]);
def L2 = (-gamma * L1) + L1[1] + (gamma * L2[1]);
def L3 = (-gamma * L2) + L2[1] + (gamma * L3[1]);
def L4 = (-gamma * L3) + L3[1] + (gamma * L4[1]);
def L5 = (-gamma * L4) + L4[1] + (gamma * L5[1]);
def Laguerre = (L0 + (2 * L1) + (2 * L2) + L3 + L4 + L5) / 8;

plot FilterL = Laguerre;
FilterL.SetDefaultColor(Color.Cyan);

def condUp = if RSI crosses above FilterL
then 1
else if RSI > RSI[1]
then condUp[1] + 1
else if RSI < FilterL
then 0
else condUp[1];
def condDw = if RSI crosses below FilterL
then 1
else if RSI < RSI[1]
then condDw[1] + 1
else if RSI > FilterL
then 0
else condDw[1];
def CrossUp = RSI crosses above FilterL && FilterL > 50;
def Crossdown = RSI crosses below FilterL && FilterL < 50;
plot condDW1 =CrossUp;
plot condUP1 = Crossdown;
plot confirmUP = filterL crosses above 50;
plot confirmDOWN = filterL crosses below 50;
addCloud(rsi, filterl, Color.GREEN, Color.RED);

# End Code RSI with Laguerre Filter

Solution
I am trying to create a scan (using a Mobius custom indicator called FilterL) that selects for when RSI (any length but I use 9) is greater than FilterL however the scan function doesnt seem to be able to calculate FilterL even though as an indicator it works perfectly in my charts. Any suggestions for how I can the scan function to recognize this custom variable?
A few problems.
  • There were several lines of excess non-necessary code. The RSI Laguerre is resource-intensive those extra lines put it over the edge.
  • Your logic doesn't work. You can scan for RSI crosses of FilterL or you can scan for FilterL crosses of 50 but you cannot scan for:
    • RSI crosses above FilterL AND for FilterL to be above 50. It...
A few problems.
  • There were several lines of excess non-necessary code. The RSI Laguerre is resource-intensive those extra lines put it over the edge.
  • Your logic doesn't work. You can scan for RSI crosses of FilterL or you can scan for FilterL crosses of 50 but you cannot scan for:
    • RSI crosses above FilterL AND for FilterL to be above 50. It will seldom occur as you can see from the below chart. there were no crosses happening over 50 because over 50 the trend is already established.
    • Here is one possibility, CHANGE:
      • from yours: plot CrossUp = RSI crosses above FilterL && FilterL > 50 ;
      • to: plot CrossUp = RSI crosses above FilterL && FilterL < 50 ;
    • Another choice is CHANGE:
      • from yours: plot CrossUp = RSI crosses above FilterL && FilterL > 50 ;
      • to: plot CrossUp = FilterL crosses above 50 && RSI > FilterL ;
Where to go from here?
The above changes are just suggestions. Think about what you are looking to do and play with your definition of CrossUp and CrossDown.
Plug different definitions into the strategy and see how it affects your trades.

Keep in mind, that no one indicator can be used in isolation.
You would benefit from looking at multiple time frames and the addition of at least one other non-collinear indicator.
Read more:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/how-to-read-an-oscillator-in-thinkorswim.11497/#post-99858
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...nt-to-successful-trading-in-thinkorswim.6114/

Here is a shared chart link with the cleaned up versions of your scripts to get you started: http://tos.mx/frLcxP0 Click here for --> Easiest way to load shared links
mI7rsED.png

Now some bad news. Even with cleaning up the code, the RSI Laquerre is resource intensive. The only way to get it to run in the scan hacker is to stuff the whole thing into it. You can only have one plot. So replace your last line with your CrossUp or your Crossdown calculation. They have to be separate scans.
Here is a shared scanner link: http://tos.mx/LyUZgC2 Click here for --> Easiest way to load shared links
Xk1oxaX.png

To contribute back to the community, keep posting about your experiences with this study. It seems to have potential.

Solution

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.