Scan but sort by time when criteria was met?

J

jimothy

I’d like to set up a scanner that looks for fast moves

example, a scan that has traded 100,000 volume today, that has moved 50 cents, in the last 5 minutes

then i want to be able to sort the list of results based on which stock has most recently moved those 50 cents in the last 5 minutes

I can obviously do the movement aspect of things, but i dont know how to narrow time or even sort by time (if i removed the last 5 minutes and just wanted to sort by time that criteria is met)

BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
Change the timeframe to 5m.

J

jimothy

thanks @BenTen - is there a way to sort by when the result is added to the list?

BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
@jimothy You can save the scanner as a watchlist and get alerted for new changes.

H

HighBredCloud

VIP
There is no timestamp feature that I know of in TOS...and this is what kills majority of the stocks that meet the criteria of the scanner as you can never identify them in time when such a criteria is met as it just randomly gets dropped into the watchlist column. I do not know how difficult it would be to make such a time stamp that would allow you to sort based on the time when the criteria was met. This was one of the pluses on Trade Ideas as it gave you a timestamp...I really do think that a timestamp watchlist column would be the best watchlist column for TOS...I just don't know if the platform will allow for coding of such a script or else I am sure that a competent coder would have already made such a script.

rad14733

rad14733

VIP
Hint: Turn off sorting of the scan results and the list will populate from top down as new results are added to the bottom of the list as the scan criteria are met with oldest at the top and newest at the bottom... 💡

H

HighBredCloud

VIP
Hint: Turn off sorting of the scan results and the list will populate from top down as new results are added to the bottom of the list as the scan criteria are met with oldest at the top and newest at the bottom... 💡

How do you turn off sorting?

rad14733

rad14733

VIP
How do you turn off sorting?
As your scan is running, or anytime the column labels are displayed, click on the little gear to the far right of the column labels and select "No sorting"... All watchlists have this option...

H

HighBredCloud

VIP
As your scan is running, or anytime the column labels are displayed, click on the little gear to the far right of the column labels and select "No sorting"... All watchlists have this option...

When I do that...my watchlist column appears to be sorted alphabetically by symbol...is there any other settings that need to be changed within the scan section of TOS instead of just the watchlist column?

rad14733

rad14733

VIP
When I do that...my watchlist column appears to be sorted alphabetically by symbol...is there any other settings that need to be changed within the scan section of TOS instead of just the watchlist column?
I think you'll get different results during regular trading hours... However, every watchlist column has three states that can be toggled by clicking on their header, Ascending (up pointer), Descending (down pointer), and Unsorted (both up and down pointers)... Actually, the pointers are sort indicators with the point meaning smallest and the wide barred end meaning meaning largest...

H

HighBredCloud

VIP
I think you'll get different results during regular trading hours... However, every watchlist column has three states that can be toggled by clicking on their header, Ascending (up pointer), Descending (down pointer), and Unsorted (both up and down pointers)... Actually, the pointers are sort indicators with the point meaning smallest and the wide barred end meaning meaning largest...
Thanks for the info...I will need to check this out in live market hours...I knew about the toggles...but didn't know about the sorting function that plots in real time...I am assuming you have used this feature before...any way that the results generated as they meet the criteria are displayed on the top vs the bottom? I would assume they would be easier to find that way...

H

HighBredCloud

VIP
@rad14733 So I have tried the no sorting option couple days in a row in a live market...and when this particular option is selected everything is displayed alphabetically and not by newest to oldest results...Can you please verify on your end per our earlier conversation?

rad14733

rad14733

VIP
@rad14733 So I have tried the no sorting option couple days in a row in a live market...and when this particular option is selected everything is displayed alphabetically and not by newest to oldest results...Can you please verify on your end per our earlier conversation?
I'll try to remember to run a scan tomorrow during trading hours but I've run enough unsorted without issue... If you are just trying to keep track of entries that you have checked and those you haven't you can use the Mark Row option, which I also use at times... For those unaware of that feature you can either Right-Click on a row and select Mark Row or you can hit Ctrl + Spacebar while a row is highlighted... With my Dark color scheme this turns the rows blue... The problem with them sorting is that you don't know which symbol was most recently added to the list...

H

HighBredCloud

VIP
I'll try to remember to run a scan tomorrow during trading hours but I've run enough unsorted without issue... If you are just trying to keep track of entries that you have checked and those you haven't you can use the Mark Row option, which I also use at times... For those unaware of that feature you can either Right-Click on a row and select Mark Row or you can hit Ctrl + Spacebar while a row is highlighted... With my Dark color scheme this turns the rows blue... The problem with them sorting is that you don't know which symbol was most recently added to the list...

Sounds good let me know...I am just trying to see which symbol was added most recently to the list like you said...but on my end when no sorting is selected by default its in alphabetical order.