• LIMITED TIME ONLY: Take $40 off VIP with code: BTD40.

Range Breakout Indicator Scan

cdweaver333

VIP
Hi everyone. I'm struggling to turn my strategy from a manual process into something more efficient.

I like to swing earnings gappers [UPST 8/11] and large resistance breaks with volume [ASIX 7/27]...I place those symbols into a watchlist and then use a series of price alerts to get the proper signal. Not's the best method but it works...

Let's use UPST on 8/11. That's what I consider my Day 1...a big break through a small range [10-22 days] with volume. I like to enter when the low of the day crosses below the Day 1 close and then crosses above. For UPST, this happened on Day 2. I will then use the low of the day as my stop.

I'm not skilled enough to turn this into a study/indicator + scan. Can anyone help?

Essentially, I need to frame the close from a certain time period (ie the highest close in a 10 day period) and then the indicator would show when the day's low is < close on Day 1 and also the high is > than the close from Day 1 (UPST Day 2- 8/12)...

Then, I would be able to scan these situations for my watchlist (with an alert to my phone)...

Is this possible? Thanks...

halcyonguy

VIP
Lifetime
hello and welcome.

possible, yes. but you need to make a clearer set of rules, that don't require a picture to understand them. they should be easily converted to math formulas.
you have several vague references that need clarifying.

...a big break through
need to define what a breakthrough is.
is it when the close is x% > the previous close?
see how that sentence is similar to a formula.

...a small range [10-22 days]
you want something to happen in 10-22 bars? or does it have to be days? meaning if you look at our an hour chart the data is calculated from daily data. ( 2nd aggregation)

...with volume.
no idea , volume increases by x% from previous bar?

...I like to enter when, the low of the day crosses below the Day 1 close and then crosses above.
can't detect 2 crossings on 1 bar.
so a true/false formula would be,
y = current day low < Day 1 close
and
current day close > Day 1 close

my stop = day low when trade entered

cdweaver333

VIP
hello and welcome.

possible, yes. but you need to make a clearer set of rules, that don't require a picture to understand them. they should be easily converted to math formulas.
you have several vague references that need clarifying.

...a big break through
need to define what a breakthrough is.
is it when the close is x% > the previous close?
see how that sentence is similar to a formula.

you want something to happen in 10-22 bars? or does it have to be days? meaning if you look at our an hour chart the data is calculated from daily data. ( 2nd aggregation)

...with volume.
no idea , volume increases by x% from previous bar?

...I like to enter when, the low of the day crosses below the Day 1 close and then crosses above.
and

my stop = day low when trade entered
Hey there. Thank you for the reply...Let me add some clarity - responses in [ ]

...a big break through
need to define what a breakthrough is. [I use separate scans to identify these...does not need to be a part of this]

you want something to happen in 10-22 bars? or does it have to be days? meaning if you look at our an hour chart the data is calculated from daily data. ( 2nd aggregation) [looking back 10-22 days][I would likely use 22 but this seems easy to adjust in the script]

...with volume.
no idea , volume increases by x% from previous bar? [I use this to identify breakouts and earnings gappers..does not need to be a part of this analysis]

y = current day low < Day 1 close [perfect]
and
current day close > Day 1 close [perfect]

my stop = day low when trade entered [yes!]

[I manually update my watchlist based on separate earnings gappers and breakthrough scans....my big need is to scan on that watchlist when -
and

cdweaver333

VIP
P4yiEdJ.png