RAF (Ready Aim Fire) Indicator for ThinkorSwim

Status
Not open for further replies.
SPY had a RAF sell signal on the first 30 min bar of the day today, and the market tanked from there the rest of the day. Carter will be screaming about this signal for days. Maybe another paid webinar in the works. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

@DDW nice! I know I played puts on SPY today twice and our little clone "RAF" helped.
Speaking of our project I do have a small update for you guys. This has been challenging trying to figure out where these trend and thrust squares are coming from. Several of you have provided great input and leads. I think I may have stumbled upon something close enough. Given that most or all of this code is from FWT, I perused their site and found some useful items. I think you guys will like this minor improvement to the study. I used the TEMA to plot the trend for 34 periods (again, credit to FTW) and it appears to be relatively close to what the RAF pro shows for trend. I did not get any further than that, sorry. No squares yet, but I suspect those can't be too far off either. Below is the link to the updated study and a quick screenie!

Almost forgot, I also added an MA for FS17x5 to help as a visual confirmation of upside or downside movement and I set the remaining plots to hidden. You can adjust the TEMA period and the plots in the code if you like.

EDIT* - I also should mention based on the videos I've seen of JC - he has afterhours turned off in TOS, that helps weed out some of the false signals and cleans up the screen a bit. Just FYI!

EDIT-2* - sorry, the first link was not the revised study, should be good now.

@cos251 Excellent work, thanks again for sharing

SPY has a 'ready' and an 'aim' setup now on the 30 min, we'll watch to see if we get a fire arrow at some point tomorrow to the buy side. Momentum still looks strong to the downside, though, so we may not see it.

If only there was a way the arrows fire only when you're near overbought/oversold territory. Would make the signals much cleaner.

If only there was a way the arrows fire only when you're near overbought/oversold territory. Would make the signals much cleaner.

With the new "power thrust" signals of the Pro version, there are times when you could take a mid level 'fire' arrow signal. The thrust signals identify trend continuation after a consolidation/sideways period. I'm a little unsure about that process right now. For example, can you take a "power thrust" signal without having to have a 'fire' arrow? Not sure.

The old RAF version would only signal exhaustion, so as you say, you would only look for fire arrows in overbought/oversold territory. @cos251 is close to nailing down these "power thrust" signals, but I am with you right now: only looking for 'fire' signals in overbought/oversold territory that signal exhaustion and a turning point.

Where is the code for this indicator?
I think you can add an alert option in the code. If you have it I can try to add it for you.
Thanks for your response..
I'm looking for a scan and not the alert option in the code...

Here is the code:

Code:
# RSI in Laguerre Time MTF Option_v3
# Modification of Mobius's script of Elher's code
# Mobius
# V02.07.2014
# translation of J Elher's code
#DISCLAIMER: Mobius mentioned that it was not his habit to give trading advice or even advice on how to use indicators. However, there's been such a proliferation of bad, inaccurate, false info regarding so many of them recently he felt compelled to give some accurate information.

#Mobius©: I use a very simple method – RSI Laguerre and Fractal Energy on a list of very liquid stocks. I look for polarity change and trade when both RSI and FE are in “confluence”. If volatility is high enough I sell spreads if not I buy them. Other than hedging (which I do a lot of) that's it. I like it simple.

#The typical base setting I like to use for the FE is a length of 8. If I'm trading options I like to look at it about the length of time I'm buying or selling the option for. I want to know if it's reverting and where the energy is so I'll use a longer length for reversion and a shorter length to see if energy is building or waning.

#If RSI Laguerre is descending and FE over .6, that tells me something is changing and I'm already looking at an equity I've determined is about to make a polarity change. So the worse case that happens is that the security grinds sideways for a few days.

#A reading of the FE over .6 is an indication that energy has been built up. If the FE is high (over .6) and RSI LaGuerre is breaking lower FE will follow suit. If RSI reverses and goes above .8 I'm outa there, with the assumption I have a short position.

#FE is a gauge of both mean reverting and linearity. Descending readings indicate a trend is on. A reading below .3 indicates exhaustion in trend or near exhaustion. A reading above .6 indicates moving sideways with rapid reversion and energy building for a move again.

#Above .6 - Think price compression or squeeze
#Below .3 - Think running out of gas

#Here's an example:

#FE at 60 periods is oscillating around .5 tightly while FE at 8 periods is over .6. Zscore is over 2 and is starting to roll over. That is a good short to the mean.

#Short trade setup I look for with RSI Laguerre adjusted with FE.

#1) Polarity Change - Equity has gone from making higher highs and higher lows to making a lower high and lower low and is now putting in another lower high

#2) RSI Laguerrer is above .8 and descending from 1

#3) Fractal Energy is below .38 and nose down or above .6 and rolling over. In the first case, below .38, FE is indicating trend exahustion and RSI is likely showing as a peak and not running across pegged at 1. In the second case price has risen to a lower resistance and has been rolling slowly over building energy.

# 20160708-blt added new MTF Option; added Target Code (similar to other versions)
#              added rsi value coloring and clouds
# 20160712-modified the target tracking to include entry and target bubbles. The entry bubbles will appear where there is a change in color of the rsi line
# 20160714-changed atr from atr() to average(truerange(h,c,l),atrlength) to allow atr to be that of the higher timeframe when it's selected, rather than always the current timeframe for targets
#20160715-v2a-added inputs to turn bubbles on/off
#20160716-v3-added candle (normal open, high, low, close) vs candle_hybrid candle type in Mobius' original version. The candle option was included to use when this is combined with another indicator, such as the Fractal Energy indicator. The candle_hybrid seems smoother. A label is added to show what type of candle is being used....Bubble Movers are better defined...Shortened Target Bubble...Added input outputformat to handle bonds, forex, etc format

declare lower;
#Inputs:
input gamma              = .5;
input usecandletype      = {candle, default candle_hybrid};
input usehigheraggperiod = {default "Current", "Higher"};
input agg                = AggregationPeriod.TWO_MIN;
#Current uses the current chart agg. So if you are on a 1min chart the indicator is based on 1min. If you select higher, then whatever agg you enter at the input will be what is used for the RSI. So if you are on a 1min chart and higher is set to 2min, then a 2min RSI and the entries and targets are 2min based.
input outputformat       = {default Rounded, "Not Rounded"};
;#Hint outputformat: 'Not Rounded' is used for notes, bonds (eg: 109'110), forex, etc type format.
input atrlength          = 14;
input atrfactor          = 3;
input overbought         = .8;
input oversold           = .2;
# Variables:
def o;
def h;
def l;
def c;
def CU1;
def CU2;
def CU;
def CD1;
def CD2;
def CD;
def L0;
def L1;
def L2;
def L3;
plot RSI;
plot OS;
plot OB;
def error = usehigheraggperiod == usehigheraggperiod."Higher" and GetAggregationPeriod() > agg;
# Calculations
switch (usehigheraggperiod) {
case Current:
    if usecandletype == usecandletype.candle_hybrid {
        o = (open + close[1]) / 2;
        h = Max(high, close[1]);
        l = Min(low, close[1]);
        c = (o + h + l + close) / 4;
    } else {
        o = open;
        h = high;
        l = low;
        c = close;
    }
case Higher:
    if error {
        o = Double.NaN;
        h = Double.NaN;
        l = Double.NaN;
        c = Double.NaN;
    } else {
        if usecandletype == usecandletype.candle_hybrid {
            o = (open(period = agg)     + close(period = agg)[1]) / 2;
            h = Max(high(period = agg)  , close(period = agg)[1]);
            l = Min(low(period = agg)   , close(period = agg)[1]);
            c = ((open(period = agg)    + close(period = agg)[1]) / 2
            + Max(high(period = agg), close(period = agg)[1])
            + Min(low(period = agg) , close(period = agg)[1])
            + close(period = agg)) / 4;
        } else {
            o = open(period = agg);
            h = high(period = agg);
            l = low(period = agg);
            c = close(period = agg);
        }
    }
}
AddLabel(yes, if usecandletype == usecandletype.candle
              then "Candle"
              else "Candle_Hybrid",
              Color.LIGHT_GRAY);
AddLabel(error, "Chart Aggregation Period is greater than RSI aggregation period. Need to Change input to a higher agg than current chart aggregation or choose 'Current' at input usehigheraggperiod", Color.WHITE);
L0 = (1 – gamma) * c + gamma * L0[1];
L1 = -gamma * L0 + L0[1] + gamma * L1[1];
L2 = -gamma * L1 + L1[1] + gamma * L2[1];
L3 = -gamma * L2 + L2[1] + gamma * L3[1];
if L0 >= L1
then {
    CU1 = L0 - L1;
    CD1 = 0;
} else {
    CD1 = L1 - L0;
    CU1 = 0;
}
if L1 >= L2
then {
    CU2 = CU1 + L1 - L2;
    CD2 = CD1;
} else {
    CD2 = CD1 + L2 - L1;
    CU2 = CU1;
}
if L2 >= L3
then {
    CU = CU2 + L2 - L3;
    CD = CD2;
} else {
    CU = CU2;
    CD = CD2 + L3 - L2;
}

RSI = if IsNaN(close) then Double.NaN
      else if CU + CD <> 0
      then    CU / (CU + CD)
      else 0;
OS  = if IsNaN(close)
      then Double.NaN else oversold;
OB  = if IsNaN(close)
      then Double.NaN
      else overbought;
plot mid = if IsNaN(close) then Double.NaN else 0.5;
plot lineh = 1.35;
plot linel = -.35;
lineh.SetDefaultColor(Color.GRAY);
linel.SetDefaultColor(Color.GRAY);
mid.HideBubble();
lineh.HideBubble();
linel.HideBubble();
def rsiu = if RSI crosses above OB or
              RSI crosses above OS
           then 1
           else if rsiu[1] == 1 and !(RSI crosses below OB) and RSI > OS
           then 1
           else 0;
RSI.AssignValueColor(if rsiu
                     then Color.GREEN
                     else Color.RED);

input usealerts = no;
Alert(usealerts and RSI crosses below overbought, "", Alert.BAR, Sound.Bell);
Alert(usealerts and RSI crosses above oversold, "", Alert.BAR, Sound.Bell);

AddCloud(if RSI >= overbought
         then RSI
         else Double.NaN,
         overbought,
         Color.GREEN, Color.GREEN);
AddCloud(if RSI <= oversold
         then oversold
         else Double.NaN,
         RSI,
         Color.RED, Color.RED);

AddLabel(yes, "RSI (" + (if usehigheraggperiod == usehigheraggperiod.Higher then agg / 60000 else GetAggregationPeriod() / 60000) + "min): " + Round(RSI, 2),
               if RSI > 0
               then if RSI[1] > RSI
                    then Color.DARK_GREEN
                    else Color.GREEN
               else if RSI[1] < RSI
               then Color.DARK_RED
               else  Color.RED);

def atr    = Average(TrueRange(h, c, l), atrlength);
def entry  = if RSI crosses above oversold or rsiu[1] == 0 and RSI crosses above overbought
             then close
             else if RSI crosses below overbought or rsiu[1] and RSI crosses below oversold
             then close
             else entry[1];
def ebar   = if RSI crosses above oversold or rsiu[1] == 0 and RSI crosses above overbought
             then BarNumber()
             then BarNumber()
             else Double.NaN;
def target = if RSI crosses above oversold or rsiu[1] == 0 and RSI crosses above overbought
             then Round((close + (atrfactor * atr)) / TickSize(), 0) * TickSize()
             then Round((close - (atrfactor * atr)) / TickSize(), 0) * TickSize()
             else target[1];
def u_d    = if RSI crosses above oversold or rsiu[1] == 0 and RSI crosses above overbought
             then 1
             then -1
             else u_d[1];
def goalu  = if u_d > 0  and  high >= target
             then 1
             else if goalu[1] == 1 and u_d > 0
             then 1
             else 0;
def goald  = if u_d < 0 and  low <= target
             then 1
             else if goald[1] == 1 and u_d < 0
             then 1
             else 0;

AddLabel(1,  if error then " "
              else (if u_d > 0 then "Up " else "Down ") +
                    "Target "      + (if outputformat == outputformat."Not Rounded"
                                     then AsPrice(target)
                                     else AsText(target)) +  
                    (if u_d < 0
                     then if  goald == 0
                     then " Need " + (if outputformat == outputformat."Not Rounded"
                                     then AsPrice(target - close)
                                     else AsText(Round((target - close), 2)))
                     else " Met "
                     else "") +
                     (if u_d > 0
                      then if goalu == 0
                     then " Need " + (if outputformat == outputformat."Not Rounded"
                                     then AsPrice(target - close)
                                     else AsText(Round((target - close), 2)))
                     else " Met "
                     else ""),
              if u_d < 0 and !goald or u_d > 0 and !goalu
              then Color.WHITE
              else Color.GREEN);

input showentrybubble = yes;
input bubblemover_entry_stop_targets = 2;#Hint bubblemover_entry_stop_targets: = number of spaces to move Entry, Stop and Target bubbles sideways
def m   = bubblemover_entry_stop_targets;
def  m1 = m + 1;
AddChartBubble(showentrybubble and BarNumber() == HighestAll(ebar),
               if RSI crosses above oversold or rsiu[1] and RSI crosses below oversold
               then oversold
               else overbought,
               "Entry: " + if outputformat == outputformat."Not Rounded"
                                     then AsPrice(entry)
                                     else AsText(Round(entry, 2)),
               if u_d > 0
               then Color.GREEN   
               else Color.RED,
               if u_d > 0
               then no
               else yes);

input showtargetbubble = yes;
AddChartBubble(showtargetbubble and IsNaN(close[m]) and !IsNaN(close[m1]),
               if Between(RSI[m1], oversold, overbought)
               then RSI[m1]
               else if u_d[m1] > 0
               then overbought
               else oversold,
               if error[m1]
               then " "
               else (if u_d[m1] > 0 then "U-" else "D-") +
                    "Tgt "   +   (if outputformat == outputformat."Not Rounded"
                                 then AsPrice(target[m1])
                                 else AsText(target[m1])) +  
                    (if u_d[m1] < 0 and !goald[m1]
                     then "\nDiff     " + (if outputformat == outputformat."Not Rounded"
                                          then AsPrice(target[m1] - close[m1])
                                          else if outputformat == outputformat."Not Rounded"
                                          else AsText(Round((target[m1] - close[m1]), 2)))
                     else if u_d[m1] > 0 and !goalu[m1]
                     then "\nDiff      " + (if outputformat == outputformat."Not Rounded"
                                           else AsText(Round((target[m1] - close[m1]), 2)))
                     else ""),
              if u_d[m1] < 0 and !goald[m1] or u_d[m1] > 0 and !goalu[m1]
              then Color.WHITE
              else Color.GREEN,
              if u_d[m1] < 0
              then no
              else yes);
#RSI Laguerre Bubble
input showRSIbubble = no;
input bubblemover_RSI = 20;#Hint bubblemover_RSI: = number of spaces to move RSI Laguerre indicator bubble sideways
def   z  = bubblemover_RSI;
def   z1 = z + 1;
AddChartBubble(showRSIbubble and IsNaN(close[z]) and !IsNaN(close[z1]),
               mid[z1],
               "R",
               if rsiu[z1]
               then Color.GREEN
               else Color.RED);
# End Code Basic RSI Laguerre

@Stockmarker I don't get an error when I run your study as a scan and look for RSI crosses .2
I didn't get any matches but the scan does work
klQ307i.png

How did the raf thread turn into a rsi lagurre thread? Keep it on topic or related to what we are trying to figure out on the thread. Thanks

@cos251 Go join Rightway options,.....options and trend......learn to trade, indicators will not help you, except to lose your nest egg....

@madpuri I can tell you for certain this gobbly gook spaghetti on a chart will not help you interpret price, but will confuse the heck outta you.

@cos251 Go join Rightway options,.....options and trend......learn to trade, indicators will not help you, except to lose your nest egg....

@madpuri I can tell you for certain this gobbly gook spaghetti on a chart will not help you interpret price, but will confuse the heck outta you.

I know that much. This is a time killing project. All indicators are exactly the same with only the name changing. I have seen the 20ma sold as the "power moving average"...lol

Traders at Rightway don't use indicators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
508 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back