Questions About Alerts In ThinkOrSwim

Brady0524

The thinkscript study I created and shared yesterday, I try to use it in setting alert. But was unable to do it. The "OK" button stayed grayed out and was not available for me to continue to the alert. Then I saw the following message: "rec usage is not allowed in this context"

I'm looking to set up Conditional Study Alerts found under MarketWatch tab. In particular I wish to use the Languerre RSI, along with a few other conditions, to trigger alert to phone. The problem is the Rec Coding. If you enter this L-RSI into the study alert tab you get the statement found in the title. I was wondering if there was a work around. Thanks.

@BenTen Ah just simple as that? I guess this is the case for every timeframe of any scan? That would also mean that for short timeframe scan, we might have results that will never show up in watch list if the scan was below the 5 min timeframe then.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

@moutic777 We don't know for sure the exact delay period. But we estimate that it's between 3-5 mins. Sometimes the result may pop up in real-time.
I see. If I understand correctly, this means that the watchlist should not really be used as a visual alert/notification....that a proper scan alert must be set in order to be notified when the event actually happen. That would be great if TOS could improve it and make the scan-result-watchlist real time.

I added this code to my study and it produce sound alert at every new bar (which I don't want) and I want to have a sound alert only when I have a signal.
Code:
#
# Alerts:
#
def alerttrigger = 1; #replace the 1 with your definition
# BLOCK CODE BELOW
input alerttext = “Alert Text”;
input UseAlerts = {false, default true};
input AlertType = {default “BAR”, “ONCE”, “TICK”};
def at=AlertType;
input AlertSound = {“Bell”, “Chimes”, default “Ding”, “NoSound”, “Ring”};
alert(alerttrigger AND UseAlerts, alerttext, if at==1 then Alert.ONCE else if at==2 then Alert.TICK else Alert.BAR, AlertSound);

When I select ONCE instead of BAR - there is no sound alert at all.
Any advice?
Thanks.

I know this an old thread but this seemed the most relevant thread

So after much tinkering I have found a method that works. Not the most efficient but considering that TD support says its not even possible not to shabby.

1) Place a price line using the drawing tool
2) Right Click the line and select Create Alert from Drawing
3) I chose crosses for my testing the others may work as well
4) Click Ok

**Note the alert cannot overlap the current bar on your chart otherwise it will just fire automatically (use 1 minute to place the bar with the shortest candles).

**Also note the alerts are one and done once it fires its disabled.

@madtipper743 Yes, that's how it works... You just didn't end up getting a Tech who knows enough about that particular subject... It happens... And you are correct that it will be a once-and-done Alert... In fact, you don't even need the Price Level line to set the Alert, it's just for better reference because the Alert draws a line anyway... Just Right-Click on the chart where you want the Alert and select Create Alert... and set your parameters...
I dont trade Extended hours very often I put it together for someone else, but I was told the above doesnt work in extended hour. I tried myself and couldnt get it to work either. I am not sure those work in extended hours.

Hello, anyone know how to configure TOS for voice alerts and notifications? I know you can set individual specific alerts by using a pre-recorded sound file, but I am asking about non-specific alerts, such as alerts when new scan results are issued. Thanks.

RLSJOCm.png

KGqkvTa.png

I use a 15min Chicken Dance that Alexa plays throughout the house if I am away from my computer
and Danger Will Robinson if something in my portfolio starts misbehavin' :)

Thanks MerryDay!

So I assume you would have to create a different sound for each ticker if you wanted each ticker to be different (meaning, there is not anything available to "automate" the voice to each ticker).

Also, how do you get Alexa to play your alerts?

Thanks again!

Mike D.

So I assume you would have to create a different sound for each ticker if you wanted each ticker to be different (meaning, there is not anything available to "automate" the voice to each ticker).

Yes, you need to use one of the many free online text-to-speech sites to create your alerts... You can use either MP3 or WAV files... I use them at times for scan results but not for individual symbols due to the limited number of available custom sounds...

Hey guys. I made a static watchlist of stocks that I like to monitor and was looking for a way to be alerted whenever a certain criteria is met on the minute chart for these stocks. I made a custom thinkscript scan with my criteria and set it to only scan in that watchlist. I also created an alert to go off whenever the results of this scan are changed. Does this update instantaneously? Or is there a lag like there is with watchlist columns? Thanks in advance!

Historically, the lag on alerts has been 3-7min. I have seen recent posts by @rad14733 that he has been seeing less lag in the past few weeks. Not sure under what circumstances. You might want to search these forums to see what others are experiencing or just run your scan and time it for yourself and report back to us.
HTH