Plotting 4 decimal points instead of just two?

Ian_Tai

Hello all -

I've lately been interested in range and when to take profit and when to accept a loss. I found someone else's indicator that compares Day Range to ATR in a label format that I would like to use. But, it only plots two decimals. Not effective for FX trading. I'll post the code below. Would appreciate a tip. Thanks.

Code:
##### TS ATR
##### Made By Leonard
##### Version 1
##### 4/23/2015
##### Copyright Leonard Tulko 2014 - 2015 All rights reserved
##### This software is licensed for individual use only.

declare upper;

input ATRLength = 14;
input averagetype = AverageType.WILDERS;
input BasePeriod = AggregationPeriod.DAY;
input showlabel = yes;

def ATR = MovingAverage (averagetype, TrueRange(high(period = BasePeriod)[1], close(period = BasePeriod)[1], low(period = BasePeriod)[1]), ATRLength);

def Today_High = Highest(high(period = baseperiod)[0], 1);
def Today_Low = Lowest(low(period =baseperiod)[0], 1);

def DR = Today_High - Today_Low;

AddLabel(showlabel, "DayRange: " + Round(DR , 2) + " - ATR:" +round(ATR,2));

Last edited by a moderator:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Glad you got what you want. You are telling it to round to 4 digits. So when you removed round but not the # of digits to round to it gave the error.
I should have been clearer in my previous answer.
AddLabel(showlabel, "DayRange: " + (DR ) + " - ATR:" +(ATR));

Does anyone know how to output a specific amount of decimal places? Thinkorswm talks about using the Numberformat function, but that doesnt seem to work. For instance I want this output to show 5 decimal places:
def SMA = Average(price[-displace], length);
plot zero=0;
plot output=((SMA-SMA[1])/close)*100;

ive tried using round, but that doesnt seem to help. I can't find any docs to help.
Any help would be great, thank you!

Plot values read out in the data box has just 2 decimal points. Any way to increase the precision to say 4 decimal points for specific plots in the data box?

Last edited:
Not that I am aware of. You could multiply the target value by 100 to bring the digits into view.

It scales automatically with the size of the number.

Plot - Data Box

0.123456 --> 0.123456

1.123456 --> 1.12346

10.123456 --> 10.1235

100.123456 --> 100.123

1000.123456 --> 1000.12

10000.123456 -- > 10000.1

100000.123456 -- > 100000

Last edited:
In this example it runs out to about 5 or six decimal places.

#plot NextHigh = fold i = 0 to 100 with price = Double.NaN while IsNaN(price) do if getValue(high, -i, -99) > 40 #then getValue(high, -i, -99) else Double.NaN;

# UpPoints DownPoints Ratio
# tomsk
# 1.17.2020

# Plots the ratio of Up/Down points relative to the prior candle

declare lower;

def o = open;
def h = high;
def l = low;
def c = close;
def UpO;
def UpH;
def UpL;
def UpC;
if o < c
then {
UpO = o;
UpH = h;
UpL = l;
UpC = c;
} else {
UpO = Double.NaN;
UpH = Double.NaN;
UpL = Double.NaN;
UpC = Double.NaN;
}

# OHLC DOWN candle
def DnO;
def DnH;
def DnL;
def DnC;
if o > c
then {
DnO = o;
DnH = h;
DnL = l;
DnC = c;
} else {
DnO = Double.NaN;
DnH = Double.NaN;
DnL = Double.NaN;
DnC = Double.NaN;
}
AddChart(high = UpH, low = UpL, open = UpC, close = UpO, type = ChartType.CANDLE, growcolor = Color.GREEN);
AddChart(high = DnH, low = DnL, open = DnO, close = DnC, type = ChartType.CANDLE, growcolor = Color.RED);

def upPoints = fold i = 0 to 21
with p
do p + GetValue(if close == h[1] then close + close[1] else 0,( i));
plot Countup= sum(uppoints);
countup.setPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_Up);

def downPoints = fold j = 0 to 21
with r
do r + GetValue(if close < h[1] then close + close[1] else 0, j);

plot Countdown=Sum(downPoints);

AddLabel(1,"Up Points Count " + Countup + " %", color.white);
AddLabel(1, "Up Points = " + upPoints, Color.YELLOW);
AddLabel(1, "Down Points = " + downPoints, Color.YELLOW);
AddLabel(1,"Down Points Count " + CountDown + " %", color.white);
# End UpPoints DownPoints Ratio

plot NextHigh = fold u = 0 to 100 with price = Double.NaN while IsNaN(price) do if getValue(high, -u, -99) > 40 then getValue(high, -u, -99) else Double.NaN;
NextHigh.setPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.HISTOGRAM);
nexthigh.setdefaultcolor(color.BLUE);

input price1 = close;
input length = 21;
plot SMA = (fold n = 0 to length with s do s + getValue(price1, n, length - 1)) / length;

Such inflated 100x plots mess up the visuals of the underlying price chart. I am deliberately using decimal plots so they stay very low on the price scale and hence do not interfere with the visual price chart. I don't need these plot values all the time and when needed I use the data box for the read out.

Not that I am aware of. You could multiply the target value by 100 to bring the digits into view.

It scales automatically with the size of the number.

Plot - Data Box

0.123456 --> 0.123456

1.123456 --> 1.12346

10.123456 --> 10.1235

100.123456 --> 100.123

1000.123456 --> 1000.12

10000.123456 -- > 10000.1

100000.123456 -- > 100000

what is this?? how does it help?

I've noticed adding study with "declare lower" displays more decimals on the databox read out. Without "declare lower" its just 2 dp on the databox read out. Adding "declare lower" but then moving the study from sub-graph to the main chart continues to display more decimals in the databox read out. However, the "declare lower" study scale does not align with the main charts scale i.e. it has its own scale and the plots mess with the main chart visuals. So cannot use this "declare lower" work arnd.

In this example it runs out to about 5 or six decimal places.

#plot NextHigh = fold i = 0 to 100 with price = Double.NaN while IsNaN(price) do if getValue(high, -i, -99) > 40 #then getValue(high, -i, -99) else Double.NaN;

# UpPoints DownPoints Ratio
# tomsk
# 1.17.2020

# Plots the ratio of Up/Down points relative to the prior candle

declare lower;

def o = open;
def h = high;
def l = low;
def c = close;
def UpO;
def UpH;
def UpL;
def UpC;
if o < c
then {
UpO = o;
UpH = h;
UpL = l;
UpC = c;
} else {
UpO = Double.NaN;
UpH = Double.NaN;
UpL = Double.NaN;
UpC = Double.NaN;
}

# OHLC DOWN candle
def DnO;
def DnH;
def DnL;
def DnC;
if o > c
then {
DnO = o;
DnH = h;
DnL = l;
DnC = c;
} else {
DnO = Double.NaN;
DnH = Double.NaN;
DnL = Double.NaN;
DnC = Double.NaN;
}
AddChart(high = UpH, low = UpL, open = UpC, close = UpO, type = ChartType.CANDLE, growcolor = Color.GREEN);
AddChart(high = DnH, low = DnL, open = DnO, close = DnC, type = ChartType.CANDLE, growcolor = Color.RED);

def upPoints = fold i = 0 to 21
with p
do p + GetValue(if close == h[1] then close + close[1] else 0,( i));
plot Countup= sum(uppoints);
countup.setPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_Up);

def downPoints = fold j = 0 to 21
with r
do r + GetValue(if close < h[1] then close + close[1] else 0, j);

plot Countdown=Sum(downPoints);

AddLabel(1,"Up Points Count " + Countup + " %", color.white);
AddLabel(1, "Up Points = " + upPoints, Color.YELLOW);
AddLabel(1, "Down Points = " + downPoints, Color.YELLOW);
AddLabel(1,"Down Points Count " + CountDown + " %", color.white);
# End UpPoints DownPoints Ratio

plot NextHigh = fold u = 0 to 100 with price = Double.NaN while IsNaN(price) do if getValue(high, -u, -99) > 40 then getValue(high, -u, -99) else Double.NaN;
NextHigh.setPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.HISTOGRAM);
nexthigh.setdefaultcolor(color.BLUE);

input price1 = close;
input length = 21;
plot SMA = (fold n = 0 to length with s do s + getValue(price1, n, length - 1)) / length;

Last edited:
Are you using an upper study, with "fit studies" disabled, while keeping your plots so small that they are out of view, just for the sake of the databox? Is this correct?

yes, thats right. To keep them out of view, I have these plot values in decimals and that keeps them away from interfering with the price chart visual. I don't look up penny or low price stocks, so this method works for me for that occasional data box read out of some variable/plot.

Are you using an upper study, with "fit studies" disabled, while keeping your plots so small that they are out of view, just for the sake of the databox? Is this correct?