Passing a date variable into options functions

miler4salem

I'm trying to work on some thinkscript open interest and volume plots and am stumped by the fact that I can't seem to pass a date into a function like GetATMOption after creating a variable for today's date. I have tried compiling the date from the day of month, month, and year functions and have tried adding days to the GetYYYYMMDD function but I keep getting N/A in my chart.

The script works fine if I just type in the date or create a variable with the date in it. However, I'd like to dynamically have the date update.

Solution
I'm trying to work on some thinkscript open interest and volume plots and am stumped by the fact that I can't seem to pass a date into a function like GetATMOption after creating a variable for today's date. I have tried compiling the date from the day of month, month, and year functions and have tried adding days to the GetYYYYMMDD function but I keep getting N/A in my chart.

The script works fine if I just type in the date or create a variable with the date in it. However, I'd like to dynamically have the date update.

what did you try?
what day of the week are you trying to calculate a date for?

for monthly options, the date should be the 3rd saturday of the month.
i copied the examples from the GetATMOption page and...

what did you try?
what day of the week are you trying to calculate a date for?

for monthly options, the date should be the 3rd saturday of the month.
i copied the examples from the GetATMOption page and changed them slightly, so they plot the put price on a lower chart.
this makes 2 plots. 1 is based on an entered expire date.
the other plot is based on a calculated expire date, for the next saturday. this one only plots data during the current day.

https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Option-Related/GetATMOption

INTC 5 min chart 1/22 put and 2/19 put
RrW3cqB.jpg

Ruby:
# option_getatm_00

def today = GetYYYYMMDD();
# get current day of week number
# this is a number.  mon=1, tues=2,.. fri=5, sun=7
def dow = (GetDayofWeek(today));
addlabel(1, "day of week # " + dow, color.magenta);

# this assumes it is the 3rd week of month, doesn't adjust date if it isn't
# calc diff to sat ( 3rd sat of month is common expire date)
def desired_day = 6;
def diff1 =  desired_day - dow;
def ddate1 = today + diff1;

addlabel(1, "diff1 " + diff1, color.magenta);
addlabel(1, "ddate1 " + ddate1, color.magenta);

AddLabel(IsOptionable(), ddate1 + " ATM put option is " + GetATMOption(GetUnderlyingSymbol(), ddate1, OptionClass.put), color.magenta);

plot ATM1 = close(GetATMOption(GetUnderlyingSymbol(), ddate1, OptionClass.PUT));
ATM1.setdefaultcolor(color.magenta);

addlabel(1, "----", color.gray);

# --------------------------------------------

# https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Option-Related/GetATMOption
# Example 1
#input expire_date1 = 20220122;
input expire_date2 = 20220219;

#def dat1_mmdd =  10000 * ( expire_date1 - (expire_date1/10000));
def dat2a =  (expire_date2/10000);
def dat2b =  dat2a - floor(dat2a);
def dat2_mmdd = dat2b * 10000;
addlabel(1, "mmdd " + dat2_mmdd, color.cyan);

#AddLabel(IsOptionable(), expire_date1 + " ATM put option is " + GetATMOption(GetUnderlyingSymbol(), expire_date1, OptionClass.put), color.yellow);
AddLabel(IsOptionable(), expire_date2 + " ATM put option is " + GetATMOption(GetUnderlyingSymbol(), expire_date2, OptionClass.put), color.cyan);

#This script adds a chart label showing the code of the at-the-money Call option of currently chosen symbol with expiration date April 21, 2012.

#Example 2
declare lower;
#plot ATMPut1 = close(GetATMOption(GetUnderlyingSymbol(), expire_date1, OptionClass.PUT));
#ATMPut1.setdefaultcolor(color.yellow);
plot ATMPut2 = close(GetATMOption(GetUnderlyingSymbol(), expire_date2, OptionClass.PUT));
ATMPut2.setdefaultcolor(color.cyan);

#This script plots the Close price of the at-the-money Put option of currently chosen symbol with expiration date April 21, 2012.
#

Solution

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Hello
In this post you mentioned you are trying to draw openinterest levels/lines on an intraday chart, what I am thinking is top 5 openinterests for the options expiring coming friday (so just weeklys) , so higher the openinterest thicker the line, and same for puts , so on one chart 10 lines , 5 top calls/oi and 5 top put/oi and system should automatically take expiry as friday. is it possible or if you know if it already exist. Plotting the strikes. Thanks.

Last edited: