Repaints Optuma Gann ZigZag For ThinkOrSwim

Repaints

WarEagle

Well, I'm no coding genius but here is my attempt to modify the existing ZigZagHighLow indicator from TOS. This is my first time to work with thinkScript so while I removed obvious items like unnecessary inputs this is not as efficient as it could be. I simply edited the conditions of the Uptrend and Downtrend states and let the ZigZag code do the rest.

As it stands this will only plot a 2 day swing. Gann initially wrote in his rules to use a 3 day swing chart but then later, as documented by Robert Krausz in his book "A WD Gann Treasure Discovered", he changed that recommendation to a 2 day swing chart. I find the 2 day works perfectly for me. An input could be added to allow the user to select the number of consecutive highs or lows required but I did not do that here since it would take more time in code edits and I don't really need it personally. If anyone would like to improve on this by adding that feature then that would be great.

The best I can tell it is working correctly. If you use this and see a problem then let me know.
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/optuma-gann-swing-for-thinkorswim.14574/

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

this is great work but sometimes i also use 3 to 5 bars to reduce noise, is it possible to make this customizable?

Well, I'm no coding genius but here is my attempt to modify the existing ZigZagHighLow indicator from TOS. This is my first time to work with thinkScript so while I removed obvious items like unnecessary inputs this is not as efficient as it could be. I simply edited the conditions of the Uptrend and Downtrend states and let the ZigZag code do the rest.

As it stands this will only plot a 2 day swing. Gann initially wrote in his rules to use a 3 day swing chart but then later, as documented by Robert Krausz in his book "A WD Gann Treasure Discovered", he changed that recommendation to a 2 day swing chart. I find the 2 day works perfectly for me. An input could be added to allow the user to select the number of consecutive highs or lows required but I did not do that here since it would take more time in code edits and I don't really need it personally. If anyone would like to improve on this by adding that feature then that would be great.

The best I can tell it is working correctly. If you use this and see a problem then let me know.
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/optuma-gann-swing-for-thinkorswim.14574/

Cheers
Hi, was the code cut from the post when the thread was moved to its own topic for the finished indicator? Does anyone have it?

this is great work but sometimes i also use 3 to 5 bars to reduce noise, is it possible to make this customizable?

Hi, can you repost the code for this script if you still have it saved? The code seems to have been lost from the original post by the author.

I think there are better swing indicators out there. But seems that the repaint issue could be fixed by using [1] for the previous bar .

Last edited:
I think there are better swing indicators out there. But seems that the repaint issue could be fixed by using [1] for the previous bar .
Using the previous bar will correct MTF repainters and current bar repainter.
No, using previous bar does not fix the repainting issues of any swing indicators.

Think about it:
When the swing reverses before reaching the next Gann Swing pattern. That very pretty uptrending zigzag that started several bars ago; is going to be erased and replaced with a downtrended zigzag when an even lower Gann Swing pattern forms.

It is built into the DNA of swing studies.

So I guess, in order to keep from repainting a two bar pattern swing high you would have to wait for the third bar to finish. A three bar pattern would require the fourth bar to finish ect… that way you could measure your fib from the the pattern high low to project zones into the future.

Last edited: