Options: Automatically plot price level for strike price of owned option

oretodd

Hello,

I would like to create a study that will automatically plot a "price level" line at the strike price of any options for which I currently hold a position.
For example, if the current symbol is MSFT, and I have one or more PUT options for MSFT, it would plot a price level at the strike price for each of those options. If this is possible, it would also be nice to be able to use different colors based on the expiration date of the option in question.

I've studied the ThinkScript docs and it appears that "GetStrike()" only works when the current symbol is an option. In my case, I'll be looking at a chart for the underlying symbol, and want to see price levels for the strike price of all options I currently hold on that symbol.

Possible?

@oretodd There is not automagic way to code what you are describing using Thinkscript... You can use several of the Option related functions to get option symbols and then extrapolate the current option prices, but this is a long drawn out process and quite possibly more work than its worth... Manually entering the strike price into a Study would be easier...

Let me ask you what the purpose of this information would be...??? Is it just the actual strike price or the current option price that you are looking for...???

Hi @rad14733 Thanks for your reply.

I have a large number of various options positions open, and I have a back-end process that keeps a custom watchlist updated that contains all of the underlying stocks for my options positions. I have that watchlist linked to a chart window that shows me the chart for the underlying stock. If I have a credit PUT spread open, for example, I will be short on one option/strike price and long on another. The strike prices are obviously very important for my options strategy, and when I look at the chart, I would like to be able to see at a glance where the strikes of my options positions are.

Since I open and close positions relatively frequently, I don't want to have to manually set those "price level drawings" for each underlying stock. I'd just like them to be shown automatically, or as part of a study that I can attach to the chart window.

Does that make sense?

Thanks again.

@oretodd Thanks for the more in-depth explanation... Unfortunately, as I stated previously, Thinkscript does not have the capabilities to do what you are describing... Essentially, we can't extrapolate the active option positions for a specific symbol via Thinkscript... It simply cannot be done because the functions don't exist for accessing that portfolio data... While unfortunate, we have to live within the constraints of the TOS platform... That was why I made the manual entry suggestion even though that would require a chart for every symbol you have option positions open for...

Thanks @rad14733 That's a bummer :-(

As for adding those price levels manually: Is there a faster way than using the mouse for entering those price levels? I.e. maybe some kind of shortcut key sequence, and then I just type in the price? This would be much faster than having to use the mouse to find the exact price, etc.

Thanks @rad14733 That's a bummer :-(

As for adding those price levels manually: Is there a faster way than using the mouse for entering those price levels? I.e. maybe some kind of shortcut key sequence, and then I just type in the price? This would be much faster than having to use the mouse to find the exact price, etc.
draw a price line anywhere. double click it. type in the price level. ( thats what i do )

@oretodd Another method would be to create a Study and use the following... Modify to suit your needs...

Ruby:
input strike1 = 100.25;
input strike2 = 110.50;

plot line1 = strike1;
line1.SetDefaultColor(Color.WHITE);

plot line2 = strike2;
line2.SetDefaultColor(Color.YELLOW);

AddLabel(yes, "Strike1: " + strike1, Color.WHITE);
AddLabel(yes, "Strike2: " + strike2, Color.YELLOW);

Last edited:
@oretodd Another method would be to create a Study and use the following... Modify to suit your needs...

Ruby:
input strike1 = 100.25;
input strike2 = 110.50;

plot line1 = strike1;
line1.SetDefaultColor(Color.WHITE);

plot line2 = strike2;
line2.SetDefaultColor(Color.YELLOW);

AddLabel(yes, "Strike1: " + strike1, Color.WHITE);
AddLabel(yes, "Strike2: " + strike2, Color.YELLOW)
[/QUOTE]

Hey @rad14733. That's a great idea. Much better than adding them all manually. Thanks! One question though, how can I set the study inputs to stick with a particular symbol, rather than being the same for all symbols? I can see that "drawings" stay with the symbol, but study inputs seem to be global...

Last edited:
Hey @rad14733. That's a great idea. Much better than adding them all manually. Thanks! One question though, how can I set the study inputs to stick with a particular symbol, rather than being the same for all symbols? I can see that "drawings" stay with the symbol, but study inputs seem to be global...

you could have several inputs, each defaulted to a different symbol.
then compare them to getsymbol(). if a match, do stuff ,( plot lines). i appended en to the variable name to mean enable.

input sym1 = "SPY";
def sym1en = (sym1 == getsymbol());
plot z = if sym1en then .....

https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Others/GetSymbol

i searched on getsymbol( , and found this post.

https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...e-level-with-horizontal-line.3472/#post-32132

you could have several inputs, each defaulted to a different symbol.
then compare them to getsymbol(). if a match, do stuff ,( plot lines). i appended en to the variable name to mean enable.

input sym1 = "SPY";
def sym1en = (sym1 == getsymbol());
plot z = if sym1en then .....

https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Others/GetSymbol

i searched on getsymbol( , and found this post.

https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...e-level-with-horizontal-line.3472/#post-32132

Thanks @rad14733 , that may be the best way to do it. I can create a study that does something like:

AddLabel(yes, GetSymbol());

switch((GetSymbol()){

case "ZM" :
{ plot p_100 = 100;
plot P_207 = 207;
plot P_319 = 319;
plot P_429 = 429; }

case "AAPL":

{ Plot P_100 = 100;
Plot P_250 = 250;
Plot P_275 =275; }

etc.

And whenever I open new positions, I have to go in an edit the study. It's not the cleanest approach, but it might be the only way short of manually adding those price levels for each. The silver lining here is that all the price levels can be defined inside one place (the study script).

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.