Moving Average Crossover Strategy

Fedegrosso

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to ThinkScript and coding in general

Have any of you ever made a very basic Moving average crossover strategy?
Eg. Buy/Sell When MA9 crosses MA20. Something very basic like that

If yes would you be so kind to share the code in order for me to start learning TS getting my hand dirty trying to tweak the code?

Thank you very much

PS: Exercise caution and be safe out there in these very uncertain days.

Here is a code for a moving average crossover. To make it a "strategy" you just have to add the buy/sell order requirements. I am not familiar with the coding for that so I would suggest searching through previously posted works to find a strategy built in and just copy those lines of code over and put into the one I provided, then just edit to make sure the conditions are stated properly
Code:
# Moving Average Crossover With Arrows, Alerts, Crossing Count and Bubble at Cross
# Mobius
# Chat Room Request 01.25.2017
# Modified a bit by BenTen

input price = close;
input fastLength = 34;
input slowLength = 50;
input averageType = AverageType.EXPONENTIAL;

plot FastMA = MovingAverage(averageType, price, fastLength);
plot SlowMA = MovingAverage(averageType, price, slowLength);
FastMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(1));
SlowMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(2));

plot ArrowUp = if FastMA crosses above SlowMA
               then low
               else double.nan;
     ArrowUP.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Arrow_UP);
     ArrowUP.SetLineWeight(3);
     ArrowUP.SetDefaultColor(Color.Green);
plot ArrowDN = if FastMA crosses below SlowMA
               then high
               else double.nan;
     ArrowDN.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Arrow_DOWN);
     ArrowDN.SetLineWeight(3);
     ArrowDN.SetDefaultColor(Color.Red);
Alert(ArrowUp, " ", Alert.Bar, Sound.Chimes);
Alert(ArrowDN, " ", Alert.Bar, Sound.Bell);

AddCloud(FastMA, SlowMA, Color.GREEN, Color.RED);
# End Code

Thank you very much.

I tried this code and it actually work:

Code:
def sma10 = reference simplemovingavg(length=10);
def sma30 = reference simplemovingavg(length=30);
addOrder(OrderType.BUY_AUTO, sma10 > sma30, tickColor = GetColor(6), arrowColor = GetColor(6));
addOrder(OrderType.SELL_AUTO, sma10 < sma30, tickColor = GetColor(5), arrowColor = GetColor(5));

I'll try your code today

I am looking for assistance in writing the following strategy. I am using Think or Swim.

I want a buy strategy for the uptrend when the 8ema crosses above the 21 ema and the exit strategy to be the 8th light blue bar of the Squeeze Pro indicator or the 1st dark blue bar of the Squeeze Pro indicator

For this strategy I want a signal displayed on the chart as well as a sms alert

I want a buy strategy for the downtrend when the 8ema crosses below the 21 ema and the exit strategy to be the 8th red bar of the Squeeze Pro indicator or the 1st yellow bar of the Squeeze Pro indicator

For these strategies I want a signal displayed on the chart as well as a sms alert

Writing this as a strategy over a study is it will allow me to backtest with a report.

@LGLyon if you search the TOS strategies for 'cross', you will find TOS GoldenCross strategy. Change the moving average lengths and you will have your buy order. Merge your Squeeze Pro Indicator code and change the sell order to equal your definition.
Even if you are not a coder, you should have enough to get you started. Come back here w/ your code, if you run into trouble.

thank you I will try that
@LGLyon if you search the TOS strategies for 'cross', you will find TOS GoldenCross strategy. Change the moving average lengths and you will have your buy order. Merge your Squeeze Pro Indicator code and change the sell order to equal your definition.
Even if you are not a coder, you should have enough to get you started. Come back here w/ your code, if you run into trouble.

Help!
Need help on cross-over of Shared A000 Ehlers crossing above Simple Moving Average for Buy & Reverse for Sell. Anyone??

shared chart link: https://tos.mx/mczP0a1
10-13 Chart with Cross Over Shared A000 Ehliers & SMA.png

To me, this is better than the MACD Cross and is confirmed by AsGoodHighLow.
I'm not looking to automate yet, I want create a saved Buy/Sell order on "Green" SMA moving Above "Blue" Ehlers. I have watched a ton of videos and have saved a Buy/Sell Order based on MACD...Need to Script this correctly. Thanks in Advance. Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Help!
Need help on cross-over of Shared A000 Ehlers crossing above Simple Moving Average for Buy & Reverse for Sell. Anyone??

shared chart link: https://tos.mx/mczP0a1
View attachment 19908

To me, this is better than the MACD Cross and is confirmed by AsGoodHighLow.
I'm not looking to automate yet, I want create a saved Buy/Sell order on "Green" SMA moving Above "Blue" Ehlers. I have watched a ton of videos and have saved a Buy/Sell Order based on MACD...Need to Script this correctly. Thanks in Advance. Brad

I could not find a "
"Green" SMA moving Above "Blue" Ehlers. Indicator
on your shared chart.

Here is an example of Buy & Sell Orders on SMA crossovers:

shared chart link: http://tos.mx/usP6sFG Click here for --> Easiest way to load shared links
TAu0ZvG.png

Ruby:
input price = close;
input fastLength = 9;
input slowLength = 21;
input averageType = AverageType.SIMPLE;

plot FastMA = MovingAverage(averageType, price, fastLength);
plot SlowMA = MovingAverage(averageType, price, slowLength);
FastMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(1));
SlowMA.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(2));

plot ArrowUp = FastMA crosses above SlowMA ;
     ArrowUP.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Arrow_UP);
     ArrowUP.SetLineWeight(3);
     ArrowUP.SetDefaultColor(Color.Green);

plot ArrowDN = FastMA crosses below SlowMA ;
       ArrowDN.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Arrow_DOWN);
     ArrowDN.SetLineWeight(3);
     ArrowDN.SetDefaultColor(Color.Red);

Alert(ArrowUp, " ", Alert.Bar, Sound.Chimes);
Alert(ArrowDN, " ", Alert.Bar, Sound.Bell);

AddCloud(FastMA, SlowMA, Color.GREEN, Color.RED);

addOrder(OrderType.BUY_To_OPEN, ArrowUp);
addOrder(OrderType.SELL_TO_CLOSE, ArrowDn);

# End Code

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.