Making Money in a Choppy Market

justAnotherTrader

VIP
VIP Enthusiast
Intro:

In this choppy, super volatile trading environment I decided it was time to look for ways to smooth out the risk/reward ratios. Whether or not you believe we are in the middle of a sector rotation we can all agree things are getting a little sketchy in the market. Using two prebuilt thinkorswim indicators I built a scan that gives us low volatility combined with a high probability for above average returns.

The Conditions:
  • 7 day RSI > 60
  • 60 day RSI > 50
  • BollingerBandwidth < 10
The logic:
  • RSI is a measure of momentum, many people view a high RSI as being overbought. I agree when there is a spike in price. I disagree when the price is slowly trending up. A slowly upward trending stock can hold high levels of RSI for extended periods of time. Consider the stock MCO during the periods of 11/2019-2/2020. The 14 day RSI of MCO was above 70 most of that period. During that same time the stock ran 27%.
  • The BollingerBandwidth is the measure of volatility. High values imply high volatility, whereas low values imply low volatility. To my example, during 11/2019 MCO held the BollingerBandwidth value of less than 12.
The Example:

NGf46Xw.png

Caveats:

• It should be a given but cherry pick the best charts for best results
  • Manage your risks
  • DD is your responsibility, its your money not mine

The Scan: https://tos.mx/JJUDFQz

Last edited:
agree with your premise on current market conditions; it is sketchy and might be the beginning of reversal but we still trade the charts right? My question is your entry. Are you in on the median line or exactly what is your entry?

Can you share the lower study of the RSI 7day, 14,60, 120? As well as the BollingerBandwidth band simple?

Just search for bollingerbandwidth in tos. Here is the multiple RSI

Code:
declare lower;

input length = 7;
input length1 = 14;
input length2 = 60;
input length3 = 120;
input over_Bought = 70;
input over_Sold = 30;
input price = close;
input averageType = AverageType.WILDERS;

def NetChgAvg = MovingAverage(averageType, price - price[1], length);
def TotChgAvg = MovingAverage(averageType, AbsValue(price - price[1]), length);

def NetChgAvg1 = MovingAverage(averageType, price - price[1], length1);
def TotChgAvg1 = MovingAverage(averageType, AbsValue(price - price[1]), length1);

def NetChgAvg2 = MovingAverage(averageType, price - price[1], length2);
def TotChgAvg2 = MovingAverage(averageType, AbsValue(price - price[1]), length2);

def NetChgAvg3 = MovingAverage(averageType, price - price[1], length3);
def TotChgAvg3 = MovingAverage(averageType, AbsValue(price - price[1]), length3);

def ChgRatio = if TotChgAvg != 0 then NetChgAvg / TotChgAvg else 0;
def ChgRatio1 = if TotChgAvg1 != 0 then NetChgAvg1 / TotChgAvg1 else 0;
def ChgRatio2 = if TotChgAvg2 != 0 then NetChgAvg2 / TotChgAvg2 else 0;
def ChgRatio3 = if TotChgAvg3 != 0 then NetChgAvg3 / TotChgAvg3 else 0;

plot OverSold = over_Sold;
plot OverBought = over_Bought;
OverSold.SetDefaultColor(Color.DARK_GRAY);
OverBought.SetDefaultColor(Color.DARK_GRAY);

plot RSI = 50 * (ChgRatio + 1);
plot RSI1 = 50 * (ChgRatio1 + 1);
plot RSI2 = 50 * (ChgRatio2 + 1);
plot RSI3 = 50 * (ChgRatio3 + 1);

RSI.SetDefaultColor(Color.GREEN);
RSI1.SetDefaultColor(Color.MagenTA);
RSI2.SetDefaultColor(Color.YeLLOW);
RSI3.SetDefaultColor(Color.BLUE);

AddLabel(RSI, Concat("7RSI = ", RSI), color.GREEN);
AddLabel(RSI1, Concat("14RSI = ", RSI1), color.MAGENTA);
AddLabel(RSI2, Concat("60RSI = ", RSI2), color.YELLOW);
AddLabel(RSI3, Concat("120RSI = ", RSI3), color.BLUE);

Can you share your experience with Buy The Dip indicator? How is the performance and accuracy of the entries? Are you using it for scalping? or swing trading? time frames?

Thanks...
The Buy The Dip indicator in my personal experience has been the most accurate tool I've used to identify the bottom of stock. Its useful on all time frames. The way I use it personally is when I have identified a stock that I am interested in swinging I drop down to the 1minute chart and wait for the buy the dip signal to trigger for my entry. Many other users have different strategies that they use and we share those in the VIP lounge. This indicator is one of premium indicators you get for supporting the website when you go VIP. Therefore it's not my place to share it here. Happy trading!

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Money Zone Auto Fib Levels For ThinkOrSwim Strategies & Chart Setups 3