How to Enable Data Box in ThinkorSwim

epyonxer0

Quick question: I have a study which plots various volume averages in a lower graph and Id like to be able to look back on the values in past bars without adding another plot to the chart. Is there way to define a value and only have it show up in the data box?

Solution
Quick question: I have a study which plots various volume averages in a lower graph and Id like to be able to look back on the values in past bars without adding another plot to the chart. Is there way to define a value and only have it show up in the data box?
Any value that you can calculate or have access to can be displayed, regardless of whether or not it has been plotted...

To enable the Data Box option in ThinkorSwim:
  1. Go to your chart's settings.
  2. General > Settings.
  3. Data Box > Set to Floating or Fixed.
Any value that you can calculate or have access to can be displayed, regardless of whether or not it has been plotted...

To enable the Data Box option in ThinkorSwim:
  1. Go to your chart's settings.
  2. General > Settings.
  3. Data Box > Set to Floating or Fixed.

Solution
Hi there, I'm wondering if there is a way to access the data from a drawing in a study, for ex a trendline perhaps named a certain thing or one you have active before clicking a second time. I noticed the data points show up on the databox.

Specifically what I'm trying to do is calculate something based on a manual price difference, one that I don't have to open a study and manually type in the two prices.

Thanks for your help. If anyone knows of any solutions I'm happy to listen, I might not have thought of something.

Hi there, I'm wondering if there is a way to access the data from a drawing in a study, for ex a trendline perhaps named a certain thing or one you have active before clicking a second time. I noticed the data points show up on the databox.

Specifically what I'm trying to do is calculate something based on a manual price difference, one that I don't have to open a study and manually type in the two prices.

Thanks for your help. If anyone knows of any solutions I'm happy to listen, I might not have thought of something.

Not sure I totally follow what you want but I don't think it is possible in the manner you are thinking within Thinkorswim... Anything displayed on a chart is either generated by Studies/Strategies, based on trade data, or by Thinkorswim itself, as an overlay... There is no way to extrapolate the data from a Thinkorswim overlay, you would need to code a Study/Strategy that can calculate the same data points that the Charting Tool overlay generates... So the short answer is No...

Not sure I totally follow what you want but I don't think it is possible in the manner you are thinking within Thinkorswim... Anything displayed on a chart is either generated by Studies/Strategies, based on trade data, or by Thinkorswim itself, as an overlay... There is no way to extrapolate the data from a Thinkorswim overlay, you would need to code a Study/Strategy that can calculate the same data points that the Charting Tool overlay generates... So the short answer is No...
Thanks for the reply. That is what I am finding. Anything displayed on the databox seems to be strictly static data. I was able to get my own study to display something for each candle I hovered, even if it calculated something, but it only displayed data within that candle. There was no way I could find to add real-time data to that calculation. Comparing close to current price would just use the mark for that that candle instead, for example.

Kind of an unfortunate restriction to TOS imo. It would be great to set up calculations based on some current data and hovering a candle or drawing a trendline and have it displayed. Quickly ripping out a position size or something along those lines. Seems the platform is getting dated in its segregated data containers like this. It is free so I can't complain too much. Thanks again :D

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.