How to Change ThinkorSwim Refresh Rate

As you probably know, Dynamic Watchlists built from scans are on a universal delay up to 5 minutes, which means that the only way to get real-time scan results is to manually click the "Scan" button in Stock Hacker.

Does anyone know if there is a way to automatically have the Scan button clicked every "X" number of seconds or minutes?

I'd like to be able to have this button automatically clicked every 30 seconds.

Thanks for replying @tomsk. I'm aware that there are native limitations to refresh rates for Dynamic Watchlists, which is why I was wondering if there is a way to automatically click the Scan button on a scanner you have created in Thinkorswim. If you were able to do this automatically every X number of seconds or minutes, you could essentially get real-time search results from scans.

I think I figured out a way to do this in the links below. I'm going to try this over the weekend to see if it works. I'll report back what my findings are.

https://www.autohotkey.com/

I'm reporting back. I tried testing this, but I can't figure out or find a script that allows you to automate a click, while still being able to use your mouse for other things. The only scripts I could find are ones that allow you to hover over something and then hit an execution button (e.g. F8), which starts the auto clicking. But as soon as you move your mouse away, it stops clicking.

@GetRichOrDieTrying Like I mentioned in my post earlier, there is no way you can do this. This exact question was asked in the Thinkscript lounge many times over the last few years and Mobius ascertained time after time again this this was not possible. An external program cannot interface and control with the internal functionality of TOS.

You previously mentioned that you cannot change the refresh rate. You DID NOT mention "An external program cannot interface and control with the internal functionality of TOS" until now.

Had I known that, I wouldn't have dove deeper into this.

If you wanted this feature to be implemented, suggest you ask TOS to add this. I was just passing you additional info as there may be others who may have the same query

Last edited:
Hey new friends! I didn't see anything in my search, but i'm sure yall have discussed it. I have a few scans that I run pre-market. I would love to have them run during the market at certain intervals without me having to load them in and push scan. Is there any way to make this happen so they're 'live-ish' during trading hours? Thanks!

is there a way to tell if a particular watchlist is auto-updating ?

can i conclude that when there is a scanner symbol next to watchlist title, that it is autoupdating?

I tried to create a new scan rule as BollingerBands(UpperBand) is less than KeltnerChannels(Upper_Band).
TOS SCAN works okay for listing up all ticker symbols that met conditions but search duration seemed intraday, but not real-time.
How can I set time duration as search criteria, say conditions were met in real-time (current time) or certain time duration as PAST 30 min?

I tried to create a new scan rule as BollingerBands(UpperBand) is less than KeltnerChannels(Upper_Band).
TOS SCAN works okay for listing up all ticker symbols that met conditions but search duration seemed intraday, but not real-time.
How can I set time duration as search criteria, say conditions were met in real-time (current time) or certain time duration as PAST 30 min?

Are you trying to reinvent the TTM_Squeeze because there is already plenty of code for what you are attempting... In regard to the second question, you add the "within x bars" to your scan criteria... There are no real-time scans, just manual scans as quick as they generate after pressing the Scan button...

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.