Has anyone here ever tried to algorithmically trade?

• Thread starter YungTraderFromMontana
  • Start date
YungTraderFromMontana

YungTraderFromMontana

I know this isn't directly related to thinkscript but it would be cool to try and convert some strategies on tos to another platform where you can trade automatically. I know it would be difficult switching from TOS's meta language but it could be worth it.

mc01439

mc01439

2019 Donor
VIP
I know this isn't directly related to thinkscript but it would be cool to try and convert some strategies on tos to another platform where you can trade automatically. I know it would be difficult switching from TOS's meta language but it could be worth it.

@YungTraderFromMontana

Yes, I did using StrategyDesk which is no longer available from TD Ameritrade. I used it to auto trade a number of ultra ETFs when they first came out.

I stopped using when I moved to Japan. A few years latter TD Ameritrade stop supporting StrategyDesk (SD).

With SD you wrote your own code and then you could trade like TOS or use SD’s auto trade function. The thing about auto trading - you must know and understand the code you are trading or you will loss big.

More than likely TD had a number of customers using auto trade that blamed TD for their mass losses. The mass losses were more than likely due to their failure to truly understand the code and just what auto trading is.

Just know your code VERY WELL if you decide to go down the auto trading path.

Last edited:
C

codydog

I'd also co-locate where price servers are, most likely whatever strat you're thinking of, has already been modelled and 'their' servers are watching for you

Z

zappi

Thinkorswim Robot is 100% automated software that defines the best trend enter trade orders in the place of a human trader.

zeek

zeek

2019 Donor
Would never trust any robot unless i had the chance to inspect the source code thoroughly and fully understanding what it does and most importantly, what type of risk management is implemented. Even then, i would be sceptical because if it was that simple, everyone could just buy a robot and sit back and count all the profits.

The only way i would be interested (and i am) is if i could code the strategy myself or if someone helped me code it just the way i want it. Unfortunately, there is currently no way to do this for stocks that i am aware of but i will welcome the day when this opportunity exists.

C

codydog

You may want to consider reading Virtu's IPO docs and "insights into high frequency trading from the virtu ipo" by Greg Laughlin , esp page 3

inthefutures

inthefutures

Algo trading does not have to be high frequency, I have a trading bot that can trade many markets at the same time. it take indice day trades only and only picks out a few a day

YungTraderFromMontana

YungTraderFromMontana

How do you set all of that up? Don't you have to connect to the api? Then what? I'm a computer science amateur at best.

inthefutures

inthefutures

It is not done easily, and order management is the hardest part to get right. API or a few platforms will accept autotrading like ninja

inthefutures

inthefutures

Orders have to be directed to a brokerage firm and then how would you like that trade managed after it is place. This backend stuff is much harder to work with than setting up what ever your reason for taking the trade in the first place.

C

codydog

order management?

Its not that difficult, depending on your committed capital size. But probably not something a 20 yearold should try from Mom's basement

Or, you could simply buy VIRT stock - check out their chart since mid_February - they benefit directly from higher volumes, wider bid/ask and volatility.

inthefutures

inthefutures

Its not that difficult, depending on your committed capital size. But probably not something a 20 yearold should try from Mom's basement

Or, you could simply buy VIRT stock - check out their chart since mid_February - they benefit directly from higher volumes, wider bid/ask and volatility.
coding the back end order management for day trading is not that difficult? However that is where most who try to automate trading fail

C

codydog

coding the back end order management for day trading is not that difficult? However that is where most who try to automate trading fail

Not sure what you mean by 'most' - plenty of firms do it everyday. If you mean a one man/woman band creating their own code, and with limited cash AND unable to sustain some losses along the learning curve, sure, its impossible.

Which is why I suggested earlier to read VIRT's IPO, and other disclosures on how they operate to understand the infrastructure required, before thinking about trying it. As always, the Devil is in the details, such as, their credit lines, their staff , trading levels etc and the other article which describes their road to success.

YungTraderFromMontana

YungTraderFromMontana

I have the money as well as working tos strategy's. I'm just looking for extra income while I'm in school because I'm trying to learn, not trade during class. Also VIRT does look good but what does that have to do with any of this.

inthefutures

inthefutures

was only talking to the name of the thread "Has anyone here ever tried to algorithmically trade? was thinking this was a question towards the individual,

Last edited by a moderator:
C

codydog

I have the money as well as working tos strategy's. I'm just looking for extra income while I'm in school because I'm trying to learn, not trade during class. Also VIRT does look good but what does that have to do with any of this.

VIRT is a major player and their disclosures are a unique insight into the algo and HFT market.

F

futures_trader10

VIP
Is VIRT algo api software available only for big investors?