GANN Square Of 9 Indicator for ThinkorSwim

@germanburrito Wondering what you make of this...was matching the indicator against the Gann Sq of 9 calculator using Friday's /ES close price of 3983 as the start point. Do you know why the indicator's S/R levels don't match the levels generated by the calculator?
My short experience with the GANN calculator....you don’t use previous days close...you type in the current price 30 mins after the market opens. And then in different times after that.
pivot points S/R needs previous days info...GANN only needs current day, current price.

Reactions: DPM

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

My short experience with the GANN calculator....you don’t use previous days close...you type in the current price 30 mins after the market opens. And then in different times after that.
pivot points S/R needs previous days info...GANN only needs current day, current price.
Oh, ok, so the indicator @germanburrito shared should be used more like a GANN PIVOT as opposed to a GANN CALCULATOR? Ie, w/the calculator you enter your start price (major low, high, 30 mins into the day, open, close etc) and derive buy above/sell below lines w/targets, but w/this indicator you enter your start price and derive pivots based on Gann's sq rt formula?

I been asking you guys how the strategy works that way I can write the code to plot these levels.
The way I've always used the Gann Sq of 9 calculator most effectively intra day was to input the price 1/2 hr after the open at 10 am. Sort of like the Opening Range breakout method. The majority of time good set ups and targets would follow. But there are many other ways to use the strategy (major lows, highs, opening/closing price).

The way I've always used the Gann Sq of 9 calculator most effectively intra day was to input the price 1/2 hr after the open at 10 am. Sort of like the Opening Range breakout method. The majority of time good set ups and targets would follow. But there are many other ways to use the strategy (major lows, highs, opening/closing price).
Do you only update once? Indicator I built has 3 update times and a hard stop time.

Do you only update once? Indicator I built has 3 update times and a hard stop time.
Sometimes I'd try it with the high or low of day but there was too much guess work involved. Maybe I had the low or high right, maybe I didn't. Using 30 mins after the open involved zero guess work so it was better.

@Hypoluxa assuming you are trading with 10m chart and you are going to update the GANN9 buy/sell levels at 10am EST. Do you update it with the 9:50am close or do you wait for 10am bar to close at 10:10am?

@Hypoluxa assuming you are trading with 10m chart and you are going to update the GANN9 buy/sell levels at 10am EST. Do you update it with the 9:50am close or do you wait for 10am bar to close at 10:10am?
I only use the current stock price....not candles at 10am EST
And the same every update after.

correct. It nailed that one and the one at 12est so far...and big time too.
Hi hypoluxa,

I watched spx today with Gann inputs and yes signals from 10am and 12pm, would have been accurate to the key. I noticed that alongside the macd_bb on 10min chart cross below zero line occurred when price broke below sell level from 12 inputs, proved to be an even more profitable trade. My question is, do you always wait for macd_bb to align when deciding if to enter break above or below Gann levels or just play price action for levels of gann? I can see both being successful.

Hi hypoluxa,

I watched spx today with Gann inputs and yes signals from 10am and 12pm, would have been accurate to the key. I noticed that alongside the macd_bb on 10min chart cross below zero line occurred when price broke below sell level from 12 inputs, proved to be an even more profitable trade. My question is, do you always wait for macd_bb to align when deciding if to enter break above or below Gann levels or just play price action for levels of gann? I can see both being successful.
And, to note that the 2pm update didn't work out too well as it was choppy and triggered both long and short. Is there a way we can avoid the chop?

Hi hypoluxa,

Great question with a hard answer LOL. I'm testing this to see what the indicators need to "look like" prior to crossing...because once the dot crosses the zero line, it tends to reverse for a min or lose steam first. Catching it as its going in the direction of the zero line allows us to catch the initial momentum and a quick scalp. For now, the most consistent tho, are the sure fire signals.

@bhaskar_madugula It depends on the delta for the premium you purchase. If you purchase a premium with a delta of .50 and you purchase 1 contract, you can profit or lose $50 per $1 of stock price movement either up or down. So if you purchase 10 contracts, that's .50 x 10...so that can be $500 profit or loss per $1 of stock movement. Each contract is equal to 100...so that's where the math really is. .50 x100 equals $500.

Last edited: