/ES Futures Trading Strategy on ThinkorSwim

@BenTen I dug up some additional commentary from Mobius to help the thought process. The key to me is the .6 level where it's in compression mode, e.g. Squeeze, ECI, consolidation, etc. He says ...

FE is a gauge of both mean reverting and linearity. Descending readings indicate a trend is on. A reading below .3 indicates exhaustion in trend or near exhaustion. A reading above .6 indicates moving sideways with rapid reversion and energy building for a move again.

Above .6 - Think price compression or squeeze
Below .3 - Think running out of gas

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

Doing some backtesting with fibs. Didn't realize this until now but the support this morning @ 3125.75 was dead on at the golden fib level

vk8PqeS.png

Sorry my error. When I wrote it I clearly got it reversed for some reason. Glad ya'll set it right. Thanks

Haven't used FE for a while, the days of Doc at Theotrade, had an interest in the RSI LE, but now this conversation and thread is making me reconsider if I should experiment more with FE and give it another try again.

Is it possible to use close price as a input to FE or optimize it for detection of compression, expansion (trend/sideways)?

any one have any thoughts? also would be interesting to see how it behaves in real markets condition against a ECI as an example.

I'm always looking for was to detect choppy / sideways price action/compression ;) any other suggestions are welcome.

Haven't used FE for a while, the days of Doc at Theotrade, had an interest in the RSI LE, but now this conversation and thread is making me reconsider if I should experiment more with FE and give it another try again.

Is it possible to use close price as a input to FE or optimize it for detection of compression, expansion (trend/sideways)?

any one have any thoughts? also would be interesting to see how it behaves in real markets condition against a ECI as an example.

I'm always looking for was to detect choppy / sideways price action/compression ;) any other suggestions are welcome.
"against a ECI" what is ECI?

@diazlaz To get a real appreciation of fractal energy, let's start with the very first code definition that Mobius published when he started this whole thread in the lounge way back in 2016. See additional commentary below

Code:
# Fractal Linear Energy
# Mobius
# May 2016

input length = 13;

declare lower;
plot FE = Log(Sum(Max(high, close[1]) - Min(low, close[1]), length) /
           (Highest(high, length) - Lowest(low, length))) /
            Log(length);
FE.AssignNormGradientColor(length, color.green, color.red);
plot random = if isNaN(close) then double.nan else .618;
random.SetDefaultColor(Color.Gray);
plot linear = if isNaN(close) then double.nan else .382;
linear.SetDefaultColor(Color.Gray);
plot mean = if isNaN(close) then double.nan else .5;
mean.SetDefaultColor(Color.White);
# End Code

I had been following the entire discussion from the time Mobius first presented the idea in the lounge. Here is a summary of the points I got out of that entire discussion.

FLE isn't an indicator on the usual way we think on that it does not have buy/sell signals. Instead it's a way of determining if price is trending or random. If you want something that measures strength of trend, use something like ADX. In simplest terms, FLE does NOT indicate overbought or oversold but whether price is linear or non-linear.

The closer to 1 the more non-linear (compressed or random) price is and the closer to 0 the more linear (trending) price is. If the FE is at extremes, it is leading you to a conclusion that something is about to change. If the FE is below .382, price has gone parabolic suggesting price cannot be maintained. But you may not want to sell because it may still go further in it's trend and it may not change direction right away. It's telling you though that it's not going to stay trending at the current rate of speed. If it's over .618 it telling you price is compressing and going sideways rebuilding energy getting ready for another run one way or the other.

That to me is the real value of FLE, or FE.

Last edited:
Paper account and still testing but liking the results. Was looking for a short since we were near the overnight high and yesterday high. FE showing exhaustion and WaveTrend gave the signal. Got short and closed around VWAP.

Anyone else take this trade? What were you exits and how did you determine?

nTlo6s0.png

Was waiting for confirmation from 2000t for that play. Especially after the tri breakout. Was looking for a pb to 3141.75 so I didn't get filled @ 3141.50

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
538 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back