Creating volume subgraph from another instrument

Hi,

Since forex does not have "true volume," I want thinkorswim to plot forex futures volume in the volume subgraph for all major pairs. For example, the "EUR/USD" chart should plot the volume subgraph for "/6E" (the symbol for Euro FX futures). if I then switch to "AUD/USD," thinkorswim should automatically plot the volume subgraph for "6A."

I am using a study that breaks down volume for non-forex instruments, which colors volume bars to indicate the amount of buy/sell volume. I have modified the code so it looks like this:

Code:
#HINT: This study color codes volume by amount of volume on up-tick versus amount of volume on down-tick

declare lower;

def O = open;
def H = high;
def C = close;
def L = low;
def V;
if (GetSymbol() == "EUR/USD") {
    V = Volume("6E");
} else if (GetSymbol() == "USD/JPY") {
    V = Volume("6J");
} else if (GetSymbol() == "GBP/USD") {
    V = Volume("6B");
} else if (GetSymbol() == "USD/CAD") {
    V = Volume("6C");
} else if (GetSymbol() == "AUD/USD") {
    V = Volume("6A");
} else if (GetSymbol() == "MXN/USD") {
    V = Volume("6M");
} else if (GetSymbol() == "NZD/USD") {
    V = Volume("6N");
} else if (GetSymbol() == "EUR/GBP") {
    V = Volume("RP");
} else { #BASE CASE
    V = Volume;
}
def Buying = V*(C-L)/(H-L);
def Selling = V*(H-C)/(H-L);

# Selling Volume
Plot SV = selling;
SV.setPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Histogram);
SV.SetDefaultColor(Color.Red);
SV.HideTitle();
SV.HideBubble();
SV.SetLineWeight(5);

# Buying Volume
# Plot BV = Buying;
# Note that Selling + Buying Volume = Volume.
Plot BV =  V;
BV.setPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Histogram);
BV.SetDefaultColor(Color.Dark_Green);
BV.HideTitle();
BV.HideBubble();
BV.SetLineWeight(5);

I think there's an obvious mistake I'm making, but I can't put my finger on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Thanks! Can't believe I missed the forward slash when it came to writing the symbols of the futures. I even had it right in my original post.

When I change the price type of the chart settings for forex (from "Bid to "Last"), it appears to look choppy. Is there any way I can have the volume subgraph use "Last" when plotting volume data from forex futures, while the chart for the forex pair uses the "Bid" price type? Adding a price-type parameter in the volume functions (ex. from V = Volume("/6E"); to V = Volume("/6E", "Bid"); seems to remove the subgraph.

Last edited:

Thanks for all your help so far!

I'm looking at the thread linked and the thinkScript documentation side-by-side, and I'm not understanding why I wouldn't be able to plot the desired volume data (specifically using Last for price-type).

@cfire23 (OP in the linked post) is attempting to obtain the volume data (whether the specified price type is bid or ask) for the current symbol. @SleepyZ's answer makes sense: The documentation article on the volume function states that specifying ask, bid or mark as the price-type parameter "are only supported on intraday charts with time interval not greater than 15 days" for non-forex symbols. This is true even if PriceType constants "Bid" and "Ask" are used instead of passing along the priceType as a string value in the Volume function.

However, the documentation does not state any such restriction exists when "Last" is used as the price-type parameter (see linked documentation article for volume). Similarly. "PriceType.LAST" article does not specify any such restriction.

Please let me know if I am missing or misunderstanding something :)

Last edited: