Candle Plot MTF

markos

markos

VIP
Warehouse
Robert, thank you for the complete explanation. It sunk into my skull. We appreciate your taking the time to fully educate.

markos

markos

VIP
Warehouse
@Hguru or @RobertPayne please share any code that you have so far so that we can see the evolution. Thanks

RobertPayne

RobertPayne

@Hguru or @RobertPayne please share any code that you have so far so that we can see the evolution. Thanks
This isn't my project. I am only providing guidance and answering questions. The community is developing this.

So far, the only code presented, is what Hguru provided. It is fully functional as is. If the desire is to prettify it, then, as I pointed out above, the code will need to be adapted to use two AddCloud() functions.

Let the programmers of the group play with that for a while. If they get stuck, I am happy to provide hints and answer questions.

RobertPayne

RobertPayne

WuerthJR solved it brilliantly. He even went so far as to include the wicks that I did not. Fantastic work.

I'm not sure what technique he used for the vertical lines outlining the candle bodies, but I used the undocumented AddChart() function in a non-standard way by plotting a bar chart at the opening and closing bar of the overlay candle body.

The AddChart() function uses the following format.

Ruby:
AddChart(high, low, open, close, {chart type}, {grow color}, {fall color}, {neutral color});

where the chart type can be:
    ChartType.AREA
    ChartType.BAR
    ChartType.CANDLE
    ChartType.CANDLE_TREND
    ChartType.EQUIVOLUME
    ChartType.HEIKEN_ASHI
    ChartType.LINE
growColor, fallColor, and neutralColor are supposed to set the colors for up, down, and doji candles. However, this function is no longer fully supported and the only color that seems to function anymore is growColor. I did a tutorial showing how to get around that limitation if you ever wanted to use this function and have the candles painted a different color.

Another time that I used this function in a non-standard way was when I developed my point and figure indicator.

Last edited:
netarchitech

netarchitech

Just in case you haven't received the email, @RobertPayne has just posted his version of the Candle Plot MTF available for purchase...

BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
Warehouse
@shizah Were you able to get helped from this thread?

S

shizah

@shizah Were you able to get helped from this thread?
Almost, I still am trying to figure out the code based on Robert's hint. Still can't get the higher time frame to chart correctly.

markos

markos

VIP
Warehouse
@WuerthJR....Please share the code so we can all use it thx Hguru
@Hguru Ben and I are working on fixing a problem... I fully expect to get a script returned to us. That is my expectation. This is NOT acceptable.... @shizah , please stay tuned...

netarchitech

netarchitech

WHAT EMAIL??? Please explain!
@markos...I received an email this evening regarding the availability of the "Higher Time Frame Candles" thinkscript because I am on the mailing list having purchased indicators in the past from @RobertPayne and FunWithThinkscript.com...

S

shizah

@markos - no worries. I'm close to getting the code correct and the indicator working. Once I have some more time, I'll play around with it and post here if I can crack it!

markos

markos

VIP
Warehouse
@markos - no worries. I'm close to getting the code correct and the indicator working. Once I have some more time, I'll play around with it and post here if I can crack it!
@shizah thank you for your response. It's good to know that we have people here who value being part of a community. I look forward to your "share".

H

Hguru

I shared it with a friend and this is what he send me back as a first crack at it, I just looked it over and put it on a chart

Chart_Overlay for TOS
Code:
input agg = AggregationPeriod.FOUR_HOURS;

plot o = open(period = agg);

plot c = close(period = agg);

o.AssignValueColor(if o > c then Color.Red else Color.Green);

o.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);

c.AssignValueColor(if o > c then Color.Red else Color.Green);

c.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);

AddCloud(c, o, Color.Green, Color.Red);
Well I have played around on the chart with this study the way it is and I put it up on a 5 min chart with a 15 min agg and that looked pretty cool then I put up another of the same version and set it to a 1 hour agg. So I had the 5 min candle with the 15 min candle overlaying it and then the 1 hour candle overlaying the other 2.... yes the chart might be a little messy but it is an interesting look in case anyone was thinking how this would work, since I am not sure we will ever get a finished nicer product this will have to do...

Y

younglove06

VIP
Well I have played around on the chart with this study the way it is and I put it up on a 5 min chart with a 15 min agg and that looked pretty cool then I put up another of the same version and set it to a 1 hour agg. So I had the 5 min candle with the 15 min candle overlaying it and then the 1 hour candle overlaying the other 2.... yes the chart might be a little messy but it is an interesting look in case anyone was thinking how this would work, since I am not sure we will ever get a finished nicer product this will have to do...
I am looking at this in the ondemand feature of thinkorwim. I definitely see how this could be helpful. Excellent work!! Wow. :)