Can you have 2 copies of the TOS software on the same computer?

David45

2019 Donor
Can you have 2 separate copies of the TOS software on the same computer? Or will downloading a second copy overwrite the first? I would like the second copy to play around with different chart styles and settings without having any affect on the chart styles and settings in the first copy. Thanks in advance!

I'm relatively sure you would run into issues unless you have multiple TD Ameritrade accounts and I'm not sure if it would work even if you could change the install directory due to Windows Registry entries... I run Thinkorswim on two PC's and a laptop using the same account but my PC's disconnect if I take my laptop with me to customer sites due to licensing... You can't have Thinkorswim open in the same account on different networks...

What, exactly, are you wanting to accomplish...??? Worst case scenario, TD Ameritrades Thinkorswim technical support could answer your question...

Edited to add: I just started a second install and it asked if I wanted to update my existing install or install another instance in a different directory... I installed the second instance and will do some additional testing... It would be slick to be able to have a live and a paper trading account open concurrently...

Last edited:
Follow Up: I am now running two separate installs of Thinkorswim on my laptop... One is my Real Money account and the other is running in Paper Money mode... You could most likely run two separate TD Ameritrade accounts on two installs, but I can't say with 100% certainty... Perhaps if other members have done so successfully they will chime in to verify...

Thank you @rad14733 for testing this out! Did you find that the second copy had all of your chart settings, layouts and studies from your first copy in it when you logged in? Or was everything just default? I am hoping for the second copy to be default and not have anything in it from the first copy.

Yes, you can absolutely run two instances of TOS on the same computer. As a matter of fact, you may experience an increase in performance when you balance the workload between the two instances of TOS due to TOS being able to utilized the extra processing powers of your multi-core computer since each instance of TOS can only utilize a single-core. However, if you want to retain different chart settings then you need to have the second copy of TOS installed in a different directory.

just install TOS in a separate directory/folder on your computer and you can have as many installs as you want. You just need to make sure you know what short cut controls which install. Each installation is stand alone. Your settings and charts/indicators are saved separately on the server profile at TD

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.