Can someone help me setting up an alert?

homescreen

Hello!

I learned the other day that you can get ThinkorSwim to send alerts via SMS! I've managed to figure that part out but..I'm having trouble figuring out the language required to get a study to alert me under specific conditions.

I'm trying to get an SMS alert everytime this indicator B4_balanced_breakout prints out a SellArrow or a BuyArrow. It seems I can't post links to the study because I'm new but...it's here in this forum.

So far I've gone create alert->>single->>study->>b4_balanced_breakout-->>plot->BuyArrow->>is true .................. That doesn't work though. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Solution
Hello!

I learned the other day that you can get ThinkorSwim to send alerts via SMS! I've managed to figure that part out but..I'm having trouble figuring out the language required to get a study to alert me under specific conditions.

I'm trying to get an SMS alert everytime this indicator B4_balanced_breakout prints out a SellArrow or a BuyArrow. It seems I can't post links to the study because I'm new but...it's here in this forum.

So far I've gone create alert->>single->>study->>b4_balanced_breakout-->>plot->BuyArrow->>is true .................. That doesn't work though. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
The ToS Platform provides Three Types of Alerts:
There are alerts written into studies...
Hello!

There are alerts written into studies. They only alert when the chart w/ the study is open on your screen
They cannot be sent to phone/email. They cannot have custom sounds.
There are alerts created on a chart for one specific stock that you want to alert on.
There are scanned watchlist alerts which alert whenever the results of the scan changes. These alerts can be 3min delayed

Yes, you can scan for the BuyArrow. Save the scan and then create the alert.
Read here for setting up your scan. Pay attention to #13 for setting up your alert.
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/howToTos/thinkManual/Scan/Stock-Hacker

Solution

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

There are alerts written into studies. They only alert when the chart w/ the study is open on your screen
They cannot be sent to phone/email. They cannot have custom sounds.
There are alerts created on a chart for one specific stock that you want to alert on.
There are scanned watchlist alerts which alert whenever the results of the scan changes. These alerts can be 3min delayed

Yes, you can scan for the BuyArrow. Save the scan and then create the alert.
Read here for setting up your scan. Pay attention to #13 for setting up your alert.
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/howToTos/thinkManual/Scan/Stock-Hacker
I did some fiddling with the scanner and haven't been able to get it to work. I'm doing "any of the following" --> study...but when I say plot --> BuyArrow.... do I put "is true" or "as value"? Or something else? As value doesn't seem to work...and "is true" within 100 bars doesn't do the trick either. I don't know anything about the verbage that one would use in this situation...any tips are much appreciated.

I did some fiddling with the scanner and haven't been able to get it to work. I'm doing "any of the following" --> study...but when I say plot --> BuyArrow.... do I put "is true" or "as value"? Or something else? As value doesn't seem to work...and "is true" within 100 bars doesn't do the trick either. I don't know anything about the verbage that one would use in this situation...any tips are much appreciated.
Are you sure you are using the B4 Breakout SCANNER script?
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/balanced-bb-breakout-for-thinkorswim.5708/

It looks like the instructions for the SCANNER script are:
scan for StrategyArrow equals 1 (for buy)
scan for StrategyArrow equals -1 (for sell)

If you are seeing "BuyArrow" as an option in the Scan Hacker, it will mean that you are not using the B4 Breakout SCANNER script.
Scroll down towards the bottom of this post, and cut&paste the B4 Breakout SCANNER script.

Last edited:
Are you sure you are using the B4 Breakout SCANNER script?

It looks like the instructions for the SCANNER script are:
scan for StrategyArrow equals 1 (for buy)
scan for StrategyArrow equals -1 (for sell)

If you are seeing "BuyArrow" as an option in the Scan Hacker, it will mean that you are not using the B4 Breakout SCANNER script.
Scroll down towards the bottom of this post, and cut&paste the B4 Breakout SCANNER script.
Hey Merryday, I got the scanner working but as far as I can tell the best ThinkorSwim can do is run the scan hourly and send me the results (if I set it to check for buy or sell arrow within 10 bars, etc.). Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like TOS isn't capable of auto scanning every minute or even every five minutes? I'm day trading so that's the time frame I'm working in.

Hey Merryday, I got the scanner working but as far as I can tell the best ThinkorSwim can do is run the scan hourly and send me the results (if I set it to check for buy or sell arrow within 10 bars, etc.). Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like TOS isn't capable of auto scanning every minute or even every five minutes? I'm day trading so that's the time frame I'm working in.
The ToS platform Scan Hacker can be up to 3-min. delayed. Hourly scans are for the hourly bar/candle which minimally will not update for one hour + 3-min.
Scans on a 5-min timeframe will take at least 8 minutes to update. Scans on a 1-min aggregation update usually in not less than 4-min for updated scan changes to display.

The ToS platform does not provide us any workarounds.

Last edited:
The ToS platform Scan Hacker can be up to 3-min. delayed. Hourly scans are for the hourly bar/candle which minimally will not update for one hour + 3-min.
Scans on a 5-min timeframe will take at least 8 minutes to update. Scans on a 1-min aggregation update usually in not less than 4-min for updated scan changes to display.

The ToS platform does not provide us any workarounds
you walked me through that and now I have a better understanding of TOS scanners. I appreciate you being so generous with your time. If I have the opportunity I'll pay it forward on the forum. Gracias