Anyone Having TOS Issues this Evening 5-23 (8:49PM PST)

JohnnieCakes

VIP
Anyone Having TOS issues this Evening 5-23 (8:49PM PST)

I can log in but platform does not launch. Further note there is not service banner on log in page nor is there any web treads stating of any TOS issue.

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

@BenTen - Thanks for your reply and update. I just called the TOS support and it seems its only taking place for a few users. Support stated should be resolved in 2 hours. Basically you are out of commission for today. Oh well.

JohnnieCakes, thank you for posting about your TOS issue. This morning, as soon as the opening bell rang, all my TOS grids went blank. No data would load for about 7 minutes. Fortunately, I analyze with TOS but do my trading with TS so I was able to catch a nice move down on the RTY. My TOS is loading data again, but its inability to do so for a few minutes this morning reminds me why I don't trust it for trading, just analysis.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

JohnnieCakes, thank you for posting about your TOS issue. This morning, as soon as the opening bell rang, all my TOS grids went blank. No data would load for about 7 minutes. Fortunately, I analyze with TOS but do my trading with TS so I was able to catch a nice move down on the RTY. My TOS is loading data again, but its inability to do so for a few minutes this morning reminds me why I don't trust it for trading, just analysis.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
I have had a lot of slow problems off the open in the last month or so. Tickers and charts take a minute or more to load. It was like that last year for some time and then got much better at the first of this year. I am wondering what is going on. When I call TOS support they always say my internet is the problem. I'm in the process of changing my ISP, but I suspect it's not all in my connection. Do you have any other reports of problems? I had two days where I placed an order and it took over 3 minutes to execute the order, the order just kept bouncing around the screen. I had to log into the website platform to close one of the trades.

@lostcoastsurf The lag you are experiencing is more of a supply and demand problem due to the massive amount of activity, custom scans and custom watchlist columns being populated, etc... I have 200mb broadband and my systems lag as well for a good 5 - 15 minutes, and sometimes longer...

@lostcoastsurf The lag you are experiencing is more of a supply and demand problem due to the massive amount of activity, custom scans and custom watchlist columns being populated, etc... I have 200mb broadband and my systems lag as well for a good 5 - 15 minutes, and sometimes longer...
Thanks for the response. Every time I called TOS they tested my ping and said I had too much latency, or something, and told me to put a 1 second delay on data, which I did/has not fixed it. They also had me tweek the RAM settings. So it's nice (not really nice) to know it's more than that. Yeah EVERYONE uses TOS for charting, and I asked the support if they had a way to at least have the trade executions take priority over chart data, or if people who actually trade could get a faster server or something. He said they don't currently offer any kind of premium account.

So if you want to trade off the open, which is when a lot of strategies and options open up, what do you do? Use another broker? Kind of interesting I just got an email from Schwab/Ameritrade yesterday saying they are "guaranteeing" satisfaction and offering a refund of fees if your not satisfied. But we don't pay commission. But I have lost on trades because of the freeze ups. You can't even really use the options calendar off the open.

Last edited:
@lostcoastsurf I have TOS running on three systems 24/7... I try to restart TOS every morning before the open but that doesn't help... One thing I haven't tried is running a single system and reducing the amount of open panels and reducing the overall load as much as possible...

Any latency that Tech Support can see would be TOS related, not your broadband providers, so the latency is between your install and their servers... On my systems everything else is snappy with just TOS lagging... I have played with memory and other settings but that doesn't resolve the post-opening lag... When it lags go to Help > System and look for a rats nest of throughput instead of a pattern more like an EKG showing heart rate... That rats nest is caused by your install trying to talk back and forth with the TOS servers... The main things that cause this are overwhelmed servers or a corrupt chart panel that needs to be closed and recreated from scratch...

One thing to keep in mind is that either the techs may not fully understand how client-server communications works at the enterprise level or they are unable or unwilling to admit the truth about being overwhelmed with server requests post-open... Passing the blame onto you is far more graceful for them to dodge the issue... That's my take on the subject...

Bad throughput... It can be a lot worse than this...

cv8KAtj.jpg

Normal throughput...

58Qz6jv.jpg

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
478 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back