What is aggregation period for a scanner?

L

Learnbot

VIP
Hi guys/gals, quick question for ya, when you make a scanner in TOS what does aggregation period mean? I am learning to daytrade so I keep an eye on both 1min and 5min charts, so having an aggregation period of Day is not a good idea right? but I am not 100% sure...

Thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:
BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
If you want to scan for something on the Daily chart, you will select D as your timeframe. If you're going to scan on the 5m chart, you will change the aggregation period to 5m.

L

Learnbot

VIP
@BenTen perfect, thank you ben you are very helpful as always. thank you bud

L

Learnbot

VIP
@BenTen sorry to bother you again abt this but let’s say I set aggregation to 1 min, does the scanner automatically scan every minute? Or is it constantly scanning for the specified criteria on 1min chart?

rad14733

rad14733

VIP
@BenTen sorry to bother you again abt this but let’s say I set aggregation to 1 min, does the scanner automatically scan every minute? Or is it constantly scanning for the specified criteria on 1min chart?
It breaks historical data up into slices/baskets the size of the Aggregation Period selected... So 1M equates to a one minute basket of data... 5m would aggregate five minutes worth of data... See HERE for more...

L

Learnbot

VIP
@rad14733, thank you for the info. So here is my issue:
I am using Simple scanning condition, and the condition is when SMA 9 crosses above SMA 18. I have aggregation set to 1min with include extended hour trading session in scanning window.

issue: I have alerts set to notify me when a ticker pops into this scanner's results however, I am not getting results as quickly as I should be. Between 9:30am to 1PM I have gotten only two notifications. That does not seem right because I had other tickers I was watching that had SMA 9 and 18 cross.

so what am I missing? why am I not getting results as often as I should?

Thank you, hope I explained my problem well.

rad14733

rad14733

VIP
@Learnbot, are you talking about alert notifications to your phone and/or email...??? If so, they lag considerably and this is a TOS/TDA issue, not your code...

B

Bustergold

Is it possible to scan the 3yr 2d chart? If so how would iwrite that out. Thanks