Using the result of a fold as the "to" parameter of another fold

DrTrev4

Code:
script totalBarsRequired {                                                  # finds the number of bars required to look back to see exactly "lookback" number of green bars

input lookback = 0;
    input multiplier = 0;
    def period = AggregationPeriod.DAY;

plot barsNeeded;

def totalBars = fold index = 0 to lookback * multiplier with result=0 do
       result + if result < lookback * multiplier
            then if result <= lookback and GetValue(close(GetSymbol(), period), index) > GetValue(open(GetSymbol(), period), index)
                 then if result == lookback
                      then (lookback * index)
                      else 1
                 else 0
            else 0;

barsNeeded = (totalBars - lookback) / lookback;
}

def lookback = 20;                                                                           # number of green bars to look at
def lengthMultiplier = 5;
def totalBars = totalBarsRequired(lookback, lengthMultiplier);      # the total number of bars required to to lookback to see "lookback" number of green bars

script totalWickLength {                                                                  # do something with every green bar found while looking back the amount totalBarsRequired to see the specified amount of green bars

input numberOfBars = 0;

plot totalWicklengths;

def totalWicks = fold index=0 to numberOfBars with result=0 do                                                                      #this line is the problem
        result + if GetValue(close(GetSymbol(), period), index) > GetValue(open(GetSymbol(), period), index)
                 then 1
                 else 0;

totalWickLengths = totalWicks;
}

plot avgWick = totalWicklength(totalBars);
avgWick.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
avgWick.SetDefaultColor(Color.ORANGE);

In the script totalWickLengths I'm attempting to use numberOfBars as the "to" parameter. I am passing the result of the previous script totalBarsRequired into totalWickLength as the numberOfBars parameter.

totalBarsRequired counts the total number of daily bars required to look back to see exactly 20 green bars. I can plot this and is confirmed to be accurate.

If I pass totalBarsRequired into totalWickLength and return it unaltered or perform basic math and return it I get an expected result.

If I use the code above and replace numberOfBars as the to parameter in the fold with a specific number (ex: 42), then I get an expected result.

The problem I am having is when I specifically use the result of the first fold as the "to" parameter in the second fold the code breaks and I receive an N/A result.

Is anyone able to please help explain to me why this is or assist with guiding me towards a potential work around ?

I would really appreciate it and thank you in advance.

Solution
Code:
script totalBarsRequired {                                                  # finds the number of bars required to look back to see exactly "lookback" number of green bars

input lookback = 0;
    input multiplier = 0;

plot barsNeeded;

then if result <= lookback and GetValue(close(GetSymbol(), period), index) > GetValue(open(GetSymbol(), period), index)
                      then (lookback * index)
                      else 1
                 else 0
            else 0;

barsNeeded = (totalBars -...
Code:

input lookback = 0;
    input multiplier = 0;

plot barsNeeded;

then (lookback * index)
                      else 1
                 else 0
            else 0;

barsNeeded = (totalBars - lookback) / lookback;
}

def lookback = 20;                                                                           # number of green bars to look at
def lengthMultiplier = 5;
def totalBars = totalBarsRequired(lookback, lengthMultiplier);      # the total number of bars required to to lookback to see "lookback" number of green bars

script totalWickLength {                                                                  # do something with every green bar found while looking back the amount totalBarsRequired to see the specified amount of green bars

input numberOfBars = 0;

plot totalWicklengths;

def totalWicks = fold index=0 to numberOfBars with result=0 do                                                                      #this line is the problem
        result + if GetValue(close(GetSymbol(), period), index) > GetValue(open(GetSymbol(), period), index)
                 then 1
                 else 0;

totalWickLengths = totalWicks;
}

plot avgWick = totalWicklength(totalBars);
avgWick.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
avgWick.SetDefaultColor(Color.ORANGE);

In the script totalWickLengths I'm attempting to use numberOfBars as the "to" parameter. I am passing the result of the previous script totalBarsRequired into totalWickLength as the numberOfBars parameter.

totalBarsRequired counts the total number of daily bars required to look back to see exactly 20 green bars. I can plot this and is confirmed to be accurate.

If I pass totalBarsRequired into totalWickLength and return it unaltered or perform basic math and return it I get an expected result.

If I use the code above and replace numberOfBars as the to parameter in the fold with a specific number (ex: 42), then I get an expected result.

The problem I am having is when I specifically use the result of the first fold as the "to" parameter in the second fold the code breaks and I receive an N/A result.

Is anyone able to please help explain to me why this is or assist with guiding me towards a potential work around ?

I would really appreciate it and thank you in advance.

maybe this will work.
...use a large number as the loop to number, like 500.
...add a while statement to check
if index < numberOfBars .
keep processing the do formula while it is true, and to stop the loop if it is false.

def big = 500;
def totalWicks = fold index = 0 to big
with result
while (index <= numberOfBars)
do #this line is the problem result

Solution

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.