Trade Statistics?

jrsnell

Hi all,

What does everyone use to get trade statistics when testing a system? I am aware of the Strategy Report that I can get by right-clicking on the strategy. I have a spreadsheet that I can download the report into to give me the stats that I am looking for: Win Rate, average win %, average losing trade%, etc.

My question is... Is there a way to do this "on the fly" and on the chart? I'd love to be able to pull up a chart and see these stats in a Label box or something similar, rather than downloading to the spreadsheet and reviewing offline for each issue.

I use TradesViz for actual trades and I love it. But, how does everyone else analyze the profitability of any trading strategy that they're not using yet, but evaluating? How does anyone know whether any particular strategy is even worth pursuing with real dollars?

Last edited by a moderator:
A trading journal in a spreadsheet / database seems to be the most common method used by members for portfolio analysis.

The market is influenced by multiple factors, including fundamental news, economic data, geopolitical events, and investor sentiment. Ignoring these factors and relying solely on buy / sell signals overlooks critical information that significantly affects profits.

Never start trading before doing your due diligence:
Observe your strategy across different timeframes and instrument types, you can gain valuable insights into its performance and adapt it to various market conditions.

Build risk/reward parameters and implementing sound portfolio management techniques to manage your trades and protect your capital.

In answer to your question:
Write down your observations of the performance of your strategy over time, make necessary adjustments based on market factors, and continuously refine your risk management practices. This is how you enhance the potential profitability of your trading strategy and improve your overall trading outcomes.

The single greatest component of a strategy; is the person using it.
When you are comfortable and knowledgeable as to what your strategy is and is not capable of;
when you understand the conditions in which it is weak;

You are ready to start trading with it.
In your journal, record your results. Fine-tune your strategy.

In the current market conditions, your strategy will not be static.
The market is in flux, with economic indicators going in one direction and the indices in another.
The fine-tuning is required to accommodate this volatility.

Seasonally, there will be a slight recovering in July. But then August and September are some of the worst months to trade. So we continue to adjust.

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

A trading journal in a spreadsheet / database seems to be the most common method used by members for portfolio analysis.

The market is influenced by multiple factors, including fundamental news, economic data, geopolitical events, and investor sentiment. Ignoring these factors and relying solely on buy / sell signals overlooks critical information that significantly affects profits.

Never start trading before doing your due diligence:
Observe your strategy across different timeframes and instrument types, you can gain valuable insights into its performance and adapt it to various market conditions.

Build risk/reward parameters and implementing sound portfolio management techniques to manage your trades and protecting your capital.

In answer to your question:
Write down your observations of the performance of your strategy over time, make necessary adjustments based on market factors, and continuously refine your risk management practices. This is how you enhance the potential profitability of your trading strategy and improve your overall trading outcomes.

The single greatest component of a strategy; is the person using it.
When you are comfortable and knowledgeable as to what your strategy is and is not capable of;
when you understand the conditions in which it is weak;

You are ready to start trading with it.
In your journal, record your results. Fine-tune your strategy.

In the current market conditions, your strategy will not be static.
The market is in flux, with economic indicators going in one direction and the indices in another.
The fine-tuning is required to accommodate this volatility.

Seasonally, there will be a slight recovering in July. But then August and September are some of the worst months to trade. So we continue to adjust.
Yep... well aware of those things. Been doing that for years and have had a decent amount of success over nearly 36 years. But, I have always used other platforms and used backtesting to get an idea of what adjustments and fine-tuning might be worth considering... as you say. I've been using TOS for a few months as my primary platform using my existing strategies just fine. I joined this group as a VIP and thought asking if there was a way to get backtesting stats was within the realm of this group's wheelhouse.
From what I'm reading between your lines the answer is "No", there is no ability to get trading stats from TOS. Is that what I'm understanding?

Hi all,

What does everyone use to get trade statistics when testing a system? I am aware of the Strategy Report that I can get by right-clicking on the strategy. I have a spreadsheet that I can download the report into to give me the stats that I am looking for: Win Rate, average win %, average losing trade%, etc.

My question is... Is there a way to do this "on the fly" and on the chart? I'd love to be able to pull up a chart and see these stats in a Label box or something similar, rather than downloading to the spreadsheet and reviewing offline for each issue.

I use TradesViz for actual trades and I love it. But, how does everyone else analyze the profitability of any trading strategy that they're not using yet, but evaluating? How does anyone know whether any particular strategy is even worth pursuing with real dollars?

here is something i made to add to the end of a strategy.
it disaplys a few stats in labels.
counts trades, gains, losses, trade average,...

have to change the 1st 2 formulas to point to your buy and sell true/false variables, or all 4.
def long_open = 0;
def long_close = 0;
def short_open = long_close;
def short_close = long_open;

https://usethinkscript.com/threads/label-with-information-related-to-strategy.7902/#post-75825

here is something i made to add to the end of a strategy.
it disaplys a few stats in labels.
counts trades, gains, losses, trade average,...

have to change the 1st 2 formulas to point to your buy and sell true/false variables, or all 4.
def long_open = 0;
def long_close = 0;
def short_open = long_close;
def short_close = long_open;

https://usethinkscript.com/threads/label-with-information-related-to-strategy.7902/#post-75825
Thank you! I will give that a try.

Hi all,

Check out this post...Thread 'GandalfProjectResearchSystem Dashboard For ThinkOrSwim' https://usethinkscript.com/threads/gandalfprojectresearchsystem-dashboard-for-thinkorswim.17429/