Time Segmented Volume with TTM Squeeze For ThinkOrSwim

esvafromdc

This is something I used that combines the TTM squeeze (written as the "Momentum Squeeze" by Mobius) with Time Segmented Volume as written by @cos251. I've used TSV for so long that I forgot it came from here (thought it was standard on TOS)! I've always found the momentum indicator part of the TTM squeeze fairly useless. It's very lagging and even when adjusted, it just reflects obvious price action. Why not use something much more valuable like volume?

Basically, you are looking at the TSV indicator colored like TTM squeeze and with the zero line marked out with the periods where ATR is inside Bollinger bands (red dots), along with the TSV moving average. I have a version of this that is similar on some charts that combines the lower squeeze indicator with advanced volume bars as well. Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone had any other ideas for adding to it or sprucing it up. I've found it much more useful than traditional Carter TTM squeeze for obvious reasons, but including seeing more obvious divergence setups.

Hopefully I've credited everyone correctly!

Code:
# Time Segmented Volume with Squeeze Indicator
# Uses Mobius' Momentum Squeeze code

declare lower;

input length = 20;
input price = close;
input SDmult = 2.0;
input ATRmult = 1.5;
   def K = (Highest(High, length) + Lowest(low, length)) /
2 + ExpAverage(close, length);
def Momo = Inertia(price - K / 2, length);

## Time_Segmented_Volume
##
##
## CREDITS
## Requested by @squatsandstonks from orignal source https://www.tradingview.com/chart/BTCUSD/TG3DTxTR-INDICATOR-TIME-SEGMENTED-VOLUME/
##
##
## Removing the header Credit credits and description is not permitted, any modification needs to be shared.
##
##
## V 1.0 :    @cos251 - Initial release per request from usethinkscript forum.  All logic has not been ported, only base idea
##       :   

input tsvLength = 13;
input maLength = 7;

def t = Sum(if close > close[1] then (volume * (close-close[1])) else if close < close[1] then (volume *(close-close[1])) else 0,tsvLength);
def m = MovingAverage(AverageType.SIMPLE,t,maLength);

def PAL = (t > m) and (t > 0);
def PAL_Fail = (t < m) and (t > 0);
def PAS = (t <m) and (t < 0);
def PAS_Fail = (t > m) and (t < 0);

plot TSV = t;
TSV.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HISTOGRAM);
TSV.AssignValueColor(if TSV > 0 then Color.CYAN else Color.RED);
TSV.SetLineWeight(4);
plot TSV_MA = m;
TSV_MA.SetDefaultColor(Color.White);
TSV_MA.SetlineWeight(2);

# Plot Squeeze

def SD = StDev(close, length);
def Avg = Average(close, length);
def ATR = Average(TrueRange(high, close, low), length);
def SDup = Avg + (SdMult * Sd);
def ATRup = Avg + (AtrMult * ATR);
plot Squeeze = if SDup < ATRup
then 0
else Double.NaN;
Squeeze.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Points);
Squeeze.SetLineWeight(3);
Squeeze.SetDefaultColor(Color.Red);
plot zero = if IsNaN(close) or !IsNaN(Squeeze) then Double.NaN else 0;
zero.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Points);
zero.SetLineWeight(3);
zero.SetDefaultColor(Color.Green);

# End Code - TSV Squeeze

I think that's awesome how you combined the squeeze indicator into this but I do have a question involving the TSV and multiple versions of it on here...
Theres another useful version that works like yours other than the dots. The dots in this one have green, yellow, and red which I am assuming represent the trend. My question to you - is there a way to add more than one dot per candlestick/time? It would be cool for a confirmed green dot trend, followed by strong volume, and a squeeze could help you determine the direction the squeeze would fire.

I think that's awesome how you combined the squeeze indicator into this but I do have a question involving the TSV and multiple versions of it on here...
Theres another useful version that works like yours other than the dots. The dots in this one have green, yellow, and red which I am assuming represent the trend. My question to you - is there a way to add more than one dot per candlestick/time? It would be cool for a confirmed green dot trend, followed by strong volume, and a squeeze could help you determine the direction the squeeze would fire.
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. If you mean two rows of dots, one on top of the other, I'm not aware of a way to do that. As it stands on the indicator now, the direction of the volume bars (red down or blue up) show the impending direction of the trend much more accurately than the momentum indicator that's part of the traditional TSM squeeze. The only I issue I've seen with red dots appearing and an upcoming trend direction is a dud firing and no real trend after the squeeze finishes (red dots become green). For this, there are of course numerous other indicators or price action analysis you can use to confirm or foresee what will happen when coming out of the squeeze (volume spread analysis being the among the best).

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.