ThinkorSwim Hotkeys Order Exit Sell Position

Pipmonster

Hey guys.. I am new to forum and glad that I discovered this...

My question is this, I am looking to see if there is a way to place hotkey orders in TOS? So let me explain:

What I want to be able to do is add my remainder shares at entry price with using a set of hotkeys. I purchase a particular equity at let's say, $2/share. The stock moves to $2.50 and I sell 3/4 of my position. Is it possible for me to use a set of hotkeys, SHIFT + P to then place a stop order automatically at my entry price of $2 and it shows on the ActiveTrader?

BenTen

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
In ThinkorSwim, go to Setup (top right hand corner) > Application Settings... > Hot keys

Did you check there yet?

AzL8sn7.png

Pipmonster

@BenTen I did check there but there is nothing there. I know this is possible to write in the software such as DAS Pro etc but I don't see how it can be accomplished in TOS.

Ross Cameron at Warrior Trader uses this style of trading through Lightstream platform. I guess the question I am asking, can you write scripts for the hotkeys in TOS?

mikehag

Can anyone help with placing custom orders in the TOS desktop platform? Specifically, I'd love to have a hotkey to sell half of my current position and another to sell a quarter of my current position. If hot keys aren't possible for whatever reason, is there another way to implement those desired functions?

Bubamalicious

This is a great site. Has anyone figured out a script that can enable more advanced hotkeys for ThinkorSwim yet? Is it even possible to apply scripts to hotkeys?

I don't suppose anyone knows of a way to tied an advanced order (such as a trailing stop) to a hotkey in TOS? I have a template set up, but that's as far as I have gotten. Any suggestions are appreciated.

pranaman

hmm, ok, is there a way to program functionality, or use scripts, variations of what I see on active trader? Maybe we can create a thinkscript that will execute a buy market order and also put a stop 20 cents below the price the buy was filled at and assign that script to a hotkey?

rad14733

VIP
@pranaman Can you explain a bit more in depth as I'm not understanding what it is you're asking... We can't "make" TOS do anything it isn't capable of doing and what I think you are asking is if we can "force" TOS to behave in a manner that the program itself isn't capable of... We can write scripts to manipulate and extrapolate information from existing data but we have no way to make the underlying program itself function beyond what the developers provide us... Hotkeys are part of the program, not data that we can manipulate... So both the short and long answer to what I believe your question to be is "No!"...

It is not possible in TOS... Hotkeys only do what they do and you can't modify them to use custom logic... They are merely shortcuts to existing functionality...

bjjspiderguard

VIP
Hi everybody!

I have grown fond of using Camarilla Pivot Points as entry/exit points. I have found them to be incredibly useful to see the possible direction of a stock intraday. I really like shorting into resistance and buying into support, but sometimes I find myself not getting the entries or exits I would ultimately want. I recognize that this is sometimes a lack of discipline or maybe there is is just too much going on when I am trading. With that being said I was wondering if there was a way to create custom sell and buy orders based on my pivot points, say: I want to buy 100 shares of XYZ 10 cents above the closest pivot point and have a 20 cents stop loss bellow said pivot point. If that could be done with a hotkey that would be even better.

I am really trying to systemize my trading and taking my emotions and lack of accuracy to just be much more efficient and able to take better trades. If ThinkorSwim doesn't have tools like this do you guys know with which platform or broker I would be able to execute trades like this.

Slippage

Unfortunately, hotkeys are severely lacking in ThinkOrSwim. If you really want/need smart macros available on hotkeys TOS is not the platform for you.

The only platform I know of for which you can create hotkeys that do smart things like sell half your position and move your stop to breakeven is DAS Trader. That has a monthly cost but you can get a demo for a week to experience it. Most people using DAS are using Interactive Brokers rather than TDA but it can be connected to TDA if that's really what you want. The bad thing about DAS is no custom chart studies. If you get DAS, you can find some good hotkey scripts at Bear Bull Traders Forums

For automated trade execution, TradeStation and NinjaTrader are both popular options.

Edit to add: I've seen a lot of Youtubers using TOS for charts and executing their trades on other platforms. That's probably the only way to get great charts and great hotkey macros at the same time.

Last edited:

joshua74133

VIP
I know TOS is limited on Hotkeys but does anyone here use them?
I set up the hot keys and when I push it a box by gear that says hotkey setup. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks

rad14733

VIP
I know TOS is limited on Hotkeys but does anyone here use them?
I set up the hot keys and when I push it a box by gear that says hotkey setup. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks

I use zero Hot-Keys... My mouse pointer or glide pad are always poised for action as long as I'm in a trade... But I Scalp Options and that's different that Day or Swing Trading... You snooze, you lose... And I even have Limit Order and Stop Loss Order in lace... Color me cautious... Once bitten, twice shy...

Fdukeduong

VIP
You can't set hot keys to specifically sell at certain increments. Such as setting a key to sell half once it hits your Target price or 3/4 and etc. TOS has hot keys setup that is basic. Sell at Bid or ask, buy at bid/ask. They don't have the incremental settings you are seeking for. TradeStation does have that function and DAS trader as well. I am thinking about trying out DAS with my TD account. If there is a big difference with order execution and faster, im willing to pay $100 a month for that.

Agronis

VIP
Folks, as far as Hotkeys go, just download a macro editor - there are some very simplistic ones out there.

You simply record the action you want to do, this includes your mouse movements, keyboard inputs, etc.

You then (in most editors) have the ability to adjust the delay in-between each action, because you're looking for speed right? So you don't want to simply replay your own recording, you want it to be as close to instant as possible whilst still executing as expected.

You have to keep in mind the performance of your system, against the gross fact that ToS is built on Java.. meaning there tends to be lag between your own actions, so I would highly suggest you not only account for this, but try and offer yourself some wiggle room if in case a cup of coffee is spilt on your lap.. god I hate Java with a passion.

To think I once thought it was elegant..

Also, as much as I would LOVE to help you all individually, the issue with screen recorded macros is that they are dependent on each unique environment, meaning your desktop is not arranged the same as mine, resolution might be different, font size is 2px difference so when my script clicks your screen it hits market order, not limit. That said, if you take the time to find said application (I'd recommend Macro Recorder (dot com) if you aren't technically inclined, AutoHotkey if you are), and are still having trouble.. Find me in Discord.

I trade options, and for scalping, this is perfect.

I have mine set up to where I can hover over the position I want in the option chain, and depending on my button choice, I can enter for 1,5,10,25,50,100 at limit, and another to reduce my entry by 1,3,5,10,25 from the ask - similar for selling. This is my primary use case, but I have a few others - such as "I don't care what the price is, give me 1 strike ATM/OTM, and give it to me now" - while on a different view than the option chain.

Last edited:

Slippage

Folks, as far as Hotkeys go, just download a macro editor - there are some very simplistic ones out there.

Yes, that can provide some basic macro functionality and could satisfy some needs. AutoHotkey is great. I remember using its predecessor, AutoIt, at work in the late 1990's.