ThinkorSwim desktop charts blinking

SugarTrader

VIP
Hello,

The link below shows the problem. Anyone experienced the charts blinking non stop? I just displayed NQ and ES futures....it looks that once I put laptop in sleep mode then wake it up again, the problem occurs. For now, stopping TOS and restart the app solve the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
Very hard to identify the culprit when you have multiple charts and indicators. Start by removing all the indicators on your chart and see if the problem persists.

rad14733

VIP
As @BenTen mentioned, this blinking is due to excessive charts and indicators... I have this issue quite often when working on indicators... Reducing the number of charts and removing any excess indicators will resolve the problem... You'll see this issue more during early trading than mid-day...

rad14733

VIP
More memory may help.
See if you can increase your memoryat the log in panel
Doubtful... Memory isn't the issue, the time needed to process multiple iterations of studies is... You can throw more memory and processor power at the problem but it still comes down to how much processing and painting can be done before the cycle has to start all over again... The advice given to my by TOS Tech Support was to decrease memory settings, not increase - which seems counter to my 35+ years of IT work but my systems run better with less rather than more so they must know their code better than I do... Data throughput peaks at the open...

netarchitech

VIP
FWIW, I've been dealing with this issue for some time. For me, it only happens with Futures and seems to start up right at 6PM Sunday when a new week begins...I called Support and was told to go to Chart Settings > Price Axis > Scale: and uncheck "Fit Studies" and "Fit Study Markers"... Unfortunately, it didn't help, so I just reboot and that seems to help most of the time...

skaboy

Doubtful... Memory isn't the issue, the time needed to process multiple iterations of studies is... You can throw more memory and processor power at the problem but it still comes down to how much processing and painting can be done before the cycle has to start all over again... The advice given to my by TOS Tech Support was to decrease memory settings, not increase - which seems counter to my 35+ years of IT work but my systems run better with less rather than more so they must know their code better than I do... Data throughput peaks at the open...
When in doubt try it!

Has he tried this suggestion?

SugarTrader

VIP
Thanks to all for these suggestions:
here is a quick update:
  • yes, it seems that this issue is only with Futures. I look at ES and NQ
  • my laptop has descent memory and processing, it is not resource problem. I haven't tried yet reducing allocation of memory...suggestion above is counter intuitive but worth a try, I will let you know.
  • actually, I noticed that this issue occur toward he end of the day (near close or at close or after market). the most common pattern to reproduce this issue is when laptop wakes up from standby & change of internet wifi connection (yes, I moved a lot during my day, I can have to reconnect laptop through different networks....30% of the time after wifi connection change, this triggers that problem)
  • workaround is easy but inconvenient: just restart TOS...something, I have to restart the laptop.

Will keep you posted in case I find pattern, root cause or solution. Thanks

DesertTrader

This happens to me all the time when leaving ToS running between sessions. I use to restart every time to fix as well.... until....

THE FIX:

Simply toggle the chart off and on again with the sidebar.

mcmVsqk.png

Desert Trader ~

Last edited by a moderator:

Sree

It just happened to me, it flickered twice and is the first time I have ever experienced. I run all stocks only. I dont do Futures, forex and index, ETF's

MerryDay

VIP
I get blinking when I have my charts extended out to a ridiculous range; most of the time, charts don't need 10years of data points. Keeping them as short as needed for your data, reduces the physical manifestation of refresh rates that results in blinking.

SugarTrader

VIP
This happens to me all the time when leaving ToS running between sessions. I use to restart every time to fix as well.... until....

THE FIX:

Simply toggle the chart off and on again with the sidebar.

mcmVsqk.png

Desert Trader ~

FINAL SOLUTION: Thanks to all for helping.
  • Not able to remove this issue completely. it comes back from time to time after computer standby or internet disconnect
  • From all the workaround, the one from @DesertTrader works is the simple and works the best. Bravo. making my live much easier.