Support resistance crosshairs highlight candles when crosshairs touch them.

truman

I would like to request information on any ideas/Thinkscripts, on a Thinkscript that would cause all candles that a crosshairs touches to highlight when a crosshairs touches them. This would be for all candles that represent days, on, for example, a daily chart, to highlight when the price crosshairs rolls over them such that seeing support and resistance for all candles in a chart to be easily seen at every touch of the crosshairs down the line from newest date to earliest at the same time. The above script should make marking support and resistance levels based on a stocks price history easier and help eliminate missed levels.

Solution
@truman How about this. Plots a line back from the current close and highlights any bar the line crosses.

AlJb5nt.png

Ruby:
#Svanoy
#HighLight bars with current close in range.

input  offset = 1000;
def bar = BarNumber();
def VBar = if !IsNaN(close) and BarNumber()>0 then bar else VBar[1];
def VBarT = if IsNaN(close[-offset]) then VBar[-offset] else VBart[1];
def FinalClose = fold c = 0 to VBarT while !IsNaN(GetValue(close, -c)) do GetValue(close, -c);
def FinalCloseLine = fold fcl = 0 to 1 do FinalClose;
def HighLightBar = fold hlb = 0 to VBarT while high >= FinalCloseLine and low <= FinalCloseLine and !IsNaN(close[-1]) do GetValue(BarNumber(), 0);

plot DayClose = if FinalClose > 0 then FinalClose else Double.NaN...
@truman How about this. Plots a line back from the current close and highlights any bar the line crosses.

AlJb5nt.png

Ruby:
#Svanoy

input  offset = 1000;
def bar = BarNumber();
def FinalClose = fold c = 0 to VBarT while !IsNaN(GetValue(close, -c)) do GetValue(close, -c);
def HighLightBar = fold hlb = 0 to VBarT while high >= FinalCloseLine and low <= FinalCloseLine and !IsNaN(close[-1]) do GetValue(BarNumber(), 0);

plot DayClose = if FinalClose > 0 then FinalClose else Double.NaN;
DayClose.SetStyle(Curve.LONG_DASH);
DayClose.AssignValueColor(Color.LIME);

AssignPriceColor(if HighLightBar != 0 then Color.BLUE else Color.CURRENT);

Last edited:
Solution

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

@truman
Updated the code above, Seems like TOS has nerfed the FOLD statements for passing a value backwards.
Edited to make use of alternative method.
The value of the input 'offset' has to be less than the number of bars in your chart,
Works in real time now.

Last edited:

AlJb5nt.png

Ruby:
#Svanoy

input  offset = 1000;
def bar = BarNumber();
def VBarT = if !IsNaN(close[-offset]) then VBar[-offset] else VBart[1];

plot DayClose = if FinalClose > 0 then FinalClose else Double.NaN;
DayClose.SetStyle(Curve.LONG_DASH);
DayClose.AssignValueColor(Color.LIME);

AssignPriceColor(if HighLightBar != 0 then Color.BLUE else Color.CURRENT);

EDIT... post#2 code has been fixed.
------------------------
as of 3/1/22 1pm there is a typo in post #2 code

in this line,
#def VBarT = if !IsNaN(close[-offset]) then VBar[-offset] else VBart[1];
the ! should be removed from !isnan(

to be like this,

-------------------------------------------------

i'm sure svanoy already knows this.
i am typing all this out so that others can learn some debugging steps.

the study didn't draw a line or highlight any bars on my chart.
i thought it was because i may have other studies that have an AssignPriceColor( ) function.
i have seen when 2 or more studied are loaded , that have that function, they may interfere with each other, and the bar coloring may be wrong.

i added a bubble to display some values. the "\n" causes the text after it to be moved to a new text line.
i prefer 1 bubble this way.
you can also use many bubbles. IF they all use the same price position, they will appear stacked. if not, they will overlap each other.

i used a constant , 150 for price, so bubbles would draw after the last bar. ( low would cause the bubbles to stop on the last bar).
nothing magic about 150, it was just a price that was near the close price.

i noticed vbart was always 0.

Code:
input test1 = no;
addchartbubble(test1, 150,
bar + " bar\n" +
vbar + " vbar\n" +
vbart + " vbart\n" +
FinalClose + " fc\n" +
FinalCloseLine + " fcl\n"
, color.yellow, no);

bubbles, before fix
oMGHWYz.jpg

i compared the code to this version that i have. ( i have 100s of code snippets saved as text files)
i compared the bnlast formula. i tried removing the !, and it worked.

Code:
def bn = barnumber();
input barsBack = 1000;
def d = if !IsNaN(close) and IsNaN(close[-1])
        then bn
        else d[1];
def bnlast = if isNaN(close[-barsBack])
            then d[-barsBack]
            else Double.NaN;

addchartbubble(1, 150, bn + "\n" + d + "\n" + bnlast, color.cyan, yes);
#

after fix - vbart had the number of the last bar
VwY8X1s.jpg

ref
Current Price Line Indicator For ThinkOrSwim
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/current-price-line-indicator-for-thinkorswim.8793/
hal_debug

Last edited:
I'm glad you pointed this out, I had forgotten to come back and fix this.
Is now fixed.
Would like to add, whether or not it should be !IsNaN or IsNaN depends on if the value of offset is greater or less than the number of bars displayed on the chart. So it could go either way depending on the context.

Last edited: