SPX 0 DTE Non-Directional Options Setup For ThinkOrSwim

Drum Rocker

VIP
Is anyone trading 0 DTE SPX options non-directionally and interested in sharing results, both good and bad? In between trading my directional options strategy I have been testing a new (new for me) strategy and beginning to have some success as I learn the ins and outs of trading these. Not for the faint of heart as you need to be in front of your screen and be focused, but I do believe there is opportunity here.

Here is what I am doing for the strategy so far (see text below and picture):
  1. I do not trade these on major news days.
  2. I put the trade on between 5-10 minutes after market open.
  3. I place a Iron Butterfly trade at the money and put the wings out so that the margin requirement is equal to or less than $2,500. This allows for an average return of around +4% based on the profit target of $100. Usually I get a credit of around $12.00 to $15.00 depending on the implied volatility that day.
  4. I immediately put a limit order in for a $100 profit target per contract. I have had these fill in as little as 45 minutes on some days.
  5. I then monitor the analyze tab and keep an eye on the SPX price. If price moves and gets close to 75% from the center to the breakeven of either side (see red lines in picture below), I then make an adjustment.
  6. Adjustment: I call this the kick stand adjustment because it keeps the trade upright :). When price moves to the 75% area of either side of breakeven I look at the delta of the position and buy a single call or put at the same delta as the Iron Butterfly to bring the total position back to neutral (0). It flattens out the real time P&L purple line on the graph in the analyze tab. If later in the morning I buy the next days expiration to lower the Theta decay.
  7. If price reverses back to near the center (which it does frequently), I will sell the single call or put and write down the loss so I know what I need to make up to get to the $100 profit target.
  8. If the price continues to go up or down past the breakeven of the Iron Butterfly, I will then exit the entire position sometimes with a small profit of $10-$25 or at breakeven.
  9. If I am still in the trade after three hours I close it down.
  10. My stop loss for the entire campaign is currently $200.
This is a work in progress. PLEASE do not trade this live until you have practiced using the Paper Money account and you understand the risks. Some days it can be fast and furious so you need to make adjustments without spending a lot of time thinking about what to do.

Any thoughts from those trading a similar strategy and how to make this better?

Iron Butterfly 6.20.24.jpg

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Below are live screen shots from my trade today. Price moved up past the red line and I made the kick stand adjustment by buying a call. Since it was later in the morning I bought the expiration for Monday instead of today to reduce the Theta decay. As mentioned in post one, price usually will return to the mean (center of the Iron Butterfly), which it did today and I jettisoned the call. With time decay in my favor I was able to achieve my profit target including the small loss I had from the call.

This is still a work in progress but it's favorable so far, but definitely intense.

0 DTE SPX Iron Butterfly 6.21.24.jpg

o DTE SPX Iron Butterfly Adj 6.21.24.jpg

0 DTE SPX Iron Butterfly Final 6.21.24.jpg

Attachments

• 0 DTE SPX End Of Day 6.21.24.jpg
    0 DTE SPX End Of Day 6.21.24.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 26

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
372 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back